Oil Filter Efficiency for Cleaner Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's say you want cleaner oil for whatever reason. You could change your oil often, or use a more efficient oil filter and change it less often.

The Fram Ultra 99.8% efficiency @ 15 microns

Oil filters that are rated at 99% efficiency (or greater) @ 20 microns:
Purolator One
Fram Ultra & Tough Guard
Donaldson Blue
Fleetguard Stratapore & Stratapore Venturi
Amsoil Ea

Oil filters that are rated at 95% @ 20 microns:
Royal Purple
Microguard Select
Fram ExtraGuard
Wix/NAPA Gold
K&N
Mobil1 EP
SuperTech
Purolator Boss

Oil filters that are rated at less than 62% at 20 microns (aka rock catchers):
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum

The test for oil filters is ISO 4548-12
Oil Filter Efficiency Compairson.jpg

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume with a higher efficiency oil filter you will have lower oil pressure?

What happens when the oil filter is not able to keep up with oil pressure demand?

Will you loose oil pressure or will the bypass valve kick in and now you're using unfiltered oil?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's say you want cleaner oil for whatever reason.
Like, say, you want to delay the failure of your cylinder-deactivating lifters?
You could change your oil more often, or use a more efficient oil filter and change it less often.
Or, you could use the larger-bodied version of a more efficient oil filter ...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does efficiency mean when it comes to oil filters ratings?

are you getting the micron rating from the manufacturers specs or is that tested? seems like I remember reading somewhere that wix was 20 but the xp was 60, being a racing filter because at high rpm/high flow a standard filter is always in bypass anyways and not doing any good. but I've been to the wix website, and the don't seem to show that anymore?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like, say, you want to delay the failure of your cylinder-deactivating lifters?Or, you could use the larger-bodied version of a more efficient oil filter ...

as someone that changes oil filters that hold up to 2 qt regularly and some of the old stuff has 2 of them inline with each other, that would be nice. but sadly you just can't get a decent sized filter on a modern car these days (seem to get smaller all the time too) without with a external setup. if you're running high rpm with a high flow pump, you filter is probably bypassing a small amount at all times. my truck makes like 30 lbs oil pressure at idle. with a 12psi bypass I bet it's passing all time, especially when it's cold.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
as someone that changes oil filters that hold up to 2 qt regularly and some of the old stuff has 2 of them inline with each other, that would be nice. but sadly you just can't get a decent sized filter on a modern car these days (seem to get smaller all the time too) without with a external setup. if you're running high rpm with a high flow pump, you filter is probably bypassing a small amount at all times. my truck makes like 30 lbs oil pressure at idle. with a 12psi bypass I bet it's passing all time, especially when it's cold.
You need to remember that the reason smaller filters were developed was because the manufacturers wanted oil pressure to be quicker on a start up. The smaller the filter the faster the oil travels thru it and the faster the pressure comes up. Wix XP or even just Wix has served me well for close to 40 years on numerous vehicles and motorcycles. Gonna stick with them, no matter what.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's say you want cleaner oil for whatever reason. You could change your oil often, or use a more efficient oil filter and change it less often.

The Fram Ultra 99.8% efficiency @ 15 microns

Oil filters that are rated at 99% efficiency (or greater) @ 20 microns:
Purolator One
Fram Ultra & Tough Guard
Donaldson Blue
Fleetguard Stratapore & Stratapore Venturi
Amsoil Ea

Oil filters that are rated at 95% @ 20 microns:
Royal Purple
Microguard Select
Fram ExtraGuard
Wix/NAPA Gold
K&N
Mobil1 EP
SuperTech
Purolator Boss

Oil filters that are rated at less than 62% at 20 microns (aka rock catchers):
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum

The test for oil filters is ISO 4548-12
View attachment 397351
It can be difficult getting the oil filter you want. In the event of an engine failure GM will do everything possible to deny warranty coverage. That's why so many people will only have the oil changed at the dealer. The dealer is unlikely to use the filter that you like. The one thing that I do is I change my oil every 3,000 miles. But I do it at the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons