Project 99 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Four (4) KC HiLite Slimlite Install

I included the Amazon Links for more information if needed:

Two (2) KC HiLite Slimlite 130W Spots and
Two (2) KC HiLite Slimlite 100W Driving Lights
30Amp KC Rocker Switch

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

I had a single pair of the SlimLite 130W spots and when I was doing some of this engine and electrical work I discovered that some of the wires had nearly melted through. This was because the original wiring harness from KC HiLite had a tiny wire coming off the pigtail and the junction of the wires created resistance and heat and melting.

I contacted KC HiLite and they warrantied the lights and harness even though I had them on the Yukon for several years. I have no idea when it melted but I was thrilled that the manufacturer was so responsive with no questions asked. I pulled out the lights and wiring harness and switch, sent it back and had a brand new set of 130W spots with a re-engineered wiring harness and pigtails.

Since I was knee deep in wiring and I have never been able to see the sides of the road that well (even with the spots pointed slightly outward...deer and elk in AZ and CO scare the sh*t out of me when I'm rolling down the highway at 70 plus)...I decided to get some 100W driving lights, also SlimLite so they look identical, tuck nicely onto the bumper and were on sale so relatively inexpensive.

I had already fabbed some brackets and bolted directly to the bumper. I didn't want to drill any more holes so I bought some flat stock (L shaped), drilled some holes, painted and bolted back onto the bumper brackets. This actually made the brackets much stronger and more rigid so less vibration and eye fatigue. You can see the bar in the picture above.

I just installed and aimed and it is quite a wall of light. I will post a few pictures of the various combinations later. They are all on the toggle switch and the driving lights are only hot when the brights are on. That allows me to just have my OEM high beams and then toggle on the driving lights when I want.

The 130W spots are tied directly into the power coming off the alternator (fused, of course) so I can turn this on even when the main lights are off. Lots of lighting flexibility.

Center left is driving; center right is spot.; bottom left is backup; I will label them at some point but that is for another day.

IMG_1343.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed: Vibrating Mirror

One can only take a driver side rear view mirror for so long... I noticed that when I folded them in to the side, it appeared that the forward part of the mirror assembly was a bit loose.

I opened the door, popped off the plastic cover (single plastic rivet at the top with two tabs at the bottom. Brittle so be careful), pulled out the sound insulation and found the culprit.

The forward stud was missing the washer entirely. Replaced with a flanged M6x1.00 and problem solved. The new one is steel and on the right of the picture.

IMG_1397.JPG

The tricky part of this repair was starting the nut and getting a final tighten, especially on the nut on the left. A 10mm ratchet was good for the forward nut but the rear nut did not have enough room for either a socket wrench or the ratchet so I had to work the nut with the 10mm wrench as tight as I could make it.

The hero in this vibrating mirror repair was the magnetic holder. If you dont have one, get one. It saved me from having to take the door apart to remove a rattling nut more than a few times when the nut didn't want to start. Be patient and you will have no problems.

IMG_1395.JPG

OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KC HiLite SlimLite Aftermarket Lights: 230W of additional total lighting

Here are some pictures of the offroad lights installed and compared to the low beams. The camera highlighted some of the hotspots a bit aggressively. The lights need a slight adjustment but they are close. I pointed the 100W driving lights slightly to the outside and the spots downrange.

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG IMG_1404.JPG

OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jounce / Bump stop replacement

I did this earlier when I was working on my suspension overhaul, but I thought I'd post a before and after. I don't have a picture of the front jounces but there were in equally sad shape. I had to buy them from the dealer because I couldnt find any online that fit (or said the would fit). This was early in the build process so perhaps I might be a better shopper for parts now.

20160817_200048.jpg

20160817_195433.jpg

Creese99

Reaction score
Man your truck looks awesome! I have a similar restoration goin with my 99hoe. Ive wrenched and replaced things on it every other day for the past year. It was actually given to me, and I've turned into a very reliable ride. Runs very strong and sound now. I really enjoy working on it and like to see your project goin so great. Keep up the good work man. I've been getting ideas from you on what to do next all the time!

OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the props Creese99. Glad to hear you are wrenching everyday. Slow and steady to a reliable, fun ride. I look forward to hearing about your daily journey.

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instrument Cluster LED Conversion

Since I was tearing into the dash to install my auxiliary toggle switch plate, it seemed like the perfect time to swap out the instrument cluster lights. It is strange that with a 50/50 shot at getting the polarity right, I got ZERO right on the first attempt. I thought maybe I had broken something in the process but I flipped them all around and they all worked.

I knew the LED's would not dim like the stock lamps but I figured I would try them and see if it was obtrusive. I chose red and I could not be happier. They look great, it looks way more modern and they are easier on the eyes. And yes, with the Big Four and upgraded grounds all around, the primary battery is getting a great charge off my alternator.

View attachment 85433

What leds did you use? I also did red in mine but they seem dim and yours seem much brighter. I got the ones from superbright led with the 120 angle and also did the clear needles. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What leds did you use? I also did red in mine but they seem dim and yours seem much brighter. I got the ones from superbright led with the 120 angle and also did the clear needles. Any advice?

Hey Jiggie, so for the slow reply. I bought the Partsam LED's and they are great. Like all LED's, you cant dim them like usual lamps but they dim enough to not be a problem at night. Here is a link

http://amzn.to/2ucmTs6

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jiggie, so for the slow reply. I bought the Partsam LED's and they are great. Like all LED's, you cant dim them like usual lamps but they dim enough to not be a problem at night. Here is a link

http://amzn.to/2ucmTs6

Yea those are way different than the ones i have. Hell for 10 bucks i cant go wrong. Ima have to order a nee cluster soon so ill have a second chance to try this lol. Here is a pic of mine. They look brighter in the pic than they are. And the ones i got for my hvac are almost so dim you cant tell their on. e869b4b09ba7c74421c0a1011ed65ecc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I am really happy with this little upgrade as was my date. She said "something is different" lol. And then she said...it looks so modern! Too funny. I guess it is the little things that make a big impact sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts