5.3L V8 Oversized Oil Filter Option...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBK RACER

Reaction score
Today I spend a few minutes in the oil filter isle at the local pars store... I was looking for a longer version of the specified oil filter for the 5.3L V8 on my 2006 Yukon STL...

I ONLY use Purolator ONE oil filters for my vehicles so those are the oil filter part numbers I have... I am sure any oil filter cros reference will provide you with your faborite brand...

Specified: Porulator One PL14006
Anti Drain Valve: Yes
Relief Valve PSI: No
Outer Diameter: 2.98" inches
Height: 3.36" inches
Thread Pitch: UNC-2B
Threads: 13/16-16

I was told NAPA 7045 oil filters will work... I DO NOT THINK SO!
Cross reference calls for PL22500

Recommended: Porulator One PL22500 ...I DO NOT THINK IT WILL WORK
Relief Valve PSI: 15.5 PSI ...WILL IT WORK?
Height: 4.08" inches
Thread Pitch: M22x1.5-6H ...THREADS ARE DIFFERENT

I FOUND: Porulator One PL25288
Height: 4.02" inches

ALSO for Synthetic Oil Users Purolator makes a Synthetic Oil Filter PSL25288

If you know of other oil filters that have more capacity and will work Please Let me know... Regards, Luis.

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger is NOT always Better. I would not install a purolator filter on my Lawnmower let alone my truck. Some might not agree with me but that is my opinion. The Dealer would install a AC Delco filter which is what I use.

OP
OP
SBK RACER

SBK RACER

Reaction score
Bigger just means more filter medium to catch more impurities... If you start with good oil, good filtration is the next logical step.

From a research done from like 19 oil filter brands by a Shell Technician, Porulator One has more surface are and better filtration... He cut open a bunch of filters, measure the media, inspected the failures of different relief valves seals, and had photos to show...

I used to buy K&N Filters because I figure I was paying more for more quality... Quality is good but they have way smaller filter medium... Now I buy Porulator One...

How did you came to the conclusion that AC Delco was the better Oil filters to buy?

Last edited:

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a research done from like 19 oil filter brands by a Shell Technician, Porulator One has more surface are and better filtration... He cut open a bunch of filters, measure the media, inspected the failures of different relief valves seals, and had photos to show...

I used to buy K&N Filters because I figure I was paying more for more quality... Quality is good but they have way smaller filter medium... Now I buy Porulator One...

How did you came to the conclusion that AC Delco was the better Oil filters to buy?

Because they designed the filter to work with this engine. If it needed to be better they would have designed it differently. It will give adequate filtration while maintaining flow and not overwork the oil pump trying to pump through too much media. Just like more expensive doesn't always mean better, more media doesn't always mean better. Also I've seen the "better filtration" filters just straight up come apart internally.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a AC Delco PF61E. It is about 4.5" tall and is all the filter your motor will ever need. you can get these at most auto stores. I have also used fram and NAPA filters in the past, both seem to work just fine, "they filter the oil". Dont over-think it.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a napa gold filter with a strong magnet attached to the bottom. I've also tried finding a bigger filter, gave up and decided to use what was designed for the engine. I change my oil every 3k running full synthetic so I don't think the filter ever gets that's bad

OP
OP
SBK RACER

SBK RACER

Reaction score
I use a AC Delco PF61E. It is about 4.5" tall and is all the filter your motor will ever need. you can get these at most auto stores. I have also used fram and NAPA filters in the past, both seem to work just fine, "they filter the oil". Dont over-think it.

AC Delco PF61E Cross Reference with Porulator One PL20123
Anti Drain Valve: NO ...DOES NOT HAVE AN ANTI DRAIN VALVE
Height: 4.74" inches

This seems like a viable option and it has 1.38" inches longer filter... It just does NOT have Anti Drain Valve

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way for the oil to drain out of the filter it sits upside down

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya why would you need a anti-drain back valve? If you find yourself upside down on your roof you should probably shut the engine off anyway.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

I use a napa gold filter with a strong magnet attached to the bottom. I've also tried finding a bigger filter, gave up and decided to use what was designed for the engine. I change my oil every 3k running full synthetic so I don't think the filter ever gets that's bad

Interesting concept. I have never heard of attaching a magnet to the bottom of a oil filter. I know they have them in the bottom of transmission pans.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way for the oil to drain out of the filter it sits upside down

Oil can siphon out from the filter, it does sit higher than the bottom of the oil pickup. And if you park in a real nose down spot it can and has happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879