Oil consumption between changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I'm sure I'm not smart enough to figure out why, what if 'DEXOS' is part of the problem?

Put another way:
Is EVERY xW20 more susceptible to oil consumption, or is it just DEXOS xW20 motor oils?

For whatever it's worth, I think y'all may need to consider getting tuned to lower your pcm's fan-on thresholds, or a slightly cooler thermostat, or invest in some other form of motor oil cooling, or maybe just use 0W30 ... I dunno.

In related news, I'm about to go on a VERY long trip, for which I'll be using Valvoline Modern Engine Oil 5W20 in an attempt to improve my fuel economy.
Now I'm gonna buy some Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology 5W30, just in case oil offgassing / consumption turns out to be an issue.
I'm not sure that every 0w20 oil is subject to consumption. Dexos it goes to GM cars, and many brands of cars already drive 0w20 oil. The new Toyota Land Cruiser 300 generally recommends 0W16. But here everyone decides for himself what to risk. Servicemen claim that Xw30 or higher oil does not lubricate the engine well. Personally, I think that their words are not without meaning. Therefore, on my last Tahoe K2XX with a 6.2 engine, I drove all the time (160,000 km) in 0w20 oil, topping up 1 liter for about 10,000 km. Just tried 5w30 once

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that every 0W20 oil is subject to consumption.
DEXOS it goes to GM cars, and many brands of cars already drive 0W20 oil.
Too bad motor oils are not compared or rated on their resistance to oil consumption / offgassing.

Even if they were, though, buyers would likely need to be more specific than just motor oil brand or viscosity.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad motor oils are not compared or rated on their resistance to oil consumption / offgassing.

Even if they were, though, buyers would likely need to be more specific than just motor oil brand or viscosity.
Tahoe owner with 5.3 engine, about which I wrote above. I tried Liqu Moly, AcDelco, Mobil1 oils from the USA, Mobil1 from the EU, Lukoil. Everywhere the same result in his driving conditions. I pour Wolf 0w20 oil, I have oil consumption on it, one to one like on the last Tahoe with the same engine for GM 0w20, ZIC 0w20 oils. I have a feeling it's not the oil that's to blame. And the driving style. If you drive at low speeds all the time, accelerating calmly, then there will be no oil consumption, or it will be minimal. If there is a kickdown, then there will be an expense. If the kickdown is constant, then the consumption will be strong in any oil

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the whole 'don't drive it like you have engines in your back pocket 'cause you don't'.
I know a livery driver who recently accrued 600,000 miles on her 2011 Lincoln Town Car, and it's STILL going.
She's been driving like her recently sprained right ankle is still healing since she bought it in 2011.

BESIDES driving like Jessica Tandy's in back, is there anything ELSE that can be done to reduce oil consumption - or offgassing ...

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the whole 'don't drive it like you have engines in your back pocket 'cause you don't'.
I know a livery driver who recently accrued 600,000 miles on her 2011 Lincoln Town Car, and it's STILL going.
She's been driving like her recently sprained right ankle is still healing since she bought it in 2011.

BESIDES driving like Jessica Tandy's in back, is there anything ELSE that can be done to reduce oil consumption - or offgassing ...
So it is, on the other hand, owning 420 horses and gently stroking the gas pedal is a sin))))

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gently stroking 420 horses is a far better idea than trying to stomp on them with a heavy foot.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recognize that my 07 Yukon XL Denali is an older generation than what is being discussed here, but I thought that I'd chime in anyway. My 6.2 motor has 155,000 miles on it, and I use 5W-30 conventional motor oil in it, changing every 3000-4000 miles. My motor consumes about 1/4 quart of oil between oil changes, and my oil catch can captures about 1 fluid ounce of oil every 1000 miles.

Regarding driving practices, I drive it like @Doubeleive says, "Drive it like you stole it." I could not possibly drive it any other way, as it is just too much fun. I get 10-12 mpg in the city and 14-16 mpg on the highway on 93 octane gas, and that seems fair to me, based upon the enjoyment that I get out of driving it.

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 14.9k miles on my 2022 6.2.
Changed oil at 3600, 7500, 11,700 miles.
Each time, there has been no noticeable consumption.
Running GM Dexos from the dealer...

Why did I change so frequently?
Well, my dealer gave 2 oil changes included w/ the purchase, but had to be in first 12 months.
GMC gives the first one free...so this is 3.

So, did the 3 freebies in the first 12 months.
Expect I will adopt a 4.5k-5k interval

How long are you folks claiming consumptions going before changing...

My 2013 5.3 Suburban burned about a half quart in 5k miles, started once it got around 70k on the clock.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 14.9k miles on my 2022 6.2.
Changed oil at 3600, 7500, 11,700 miles.
Each time, there has been no noticeable consumption.
Running GM Dexos from the dealer...

Why did I change so frequently?
Well, my dealer gave 2 oil changes included w/ the purchase, but had to be in first 12 months.
GMC gives the first one free...so this is 3.

So, did the 3 freebies in the first 12 months.
Expect I will adopt a 4.5k-5k interval

How long are you folks claiming consumptions going before changing...

My 2013 5.3 Suburban burned about a half quart in 5k miles, started once it got around 70k on the clock.
Since the last oil change, I have driven 3,000 kilometers, of which 1,500 kilometers was driving on the Highway at a speed of 170 km / h on cruise control. Half of the oil level is gone.
So our motors don't like to be driven at high speeds. as soon as you drive fast, the oil runs out. If you drive slowly or around the city, then the oil is enough for 8-10 thousand km after replacement

Attachments

• 2023-05-25 07-41-52.JPG
    2023-05-25 07-41-52.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9