Oil consumption between changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my 2001 Yukon 4WD regularly , about 4,000 miles per year. Currently 172,000 miles. Im rough on the suspension heading to the trail head with my mountain bike, but I’m on eggshells on the gas pedal. But it’s worth it. I consume much less than a half a quart between annual oil changes. Just checked since last change in December 2022 and it seems like it is still completely full. I use my mechanic’s bulk 5W-30; or on my own I use semi-synthetic or synthetic 5W-30. Whatever seems like a current value, but stick to good brand.

Attachments

• A67D51D0-4D78-4B58-99D1-0D796E951D7F.jpeg
    A67D51D0-4D78-4B58-99D1-0D796E951D7F.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 3

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the 6.2 engine from the K2XX generation, and the 6.2 engine from the T1 generation, have in common only in the working volume. These are slightly different engines, with different modes of operation. The same AFM on K2XX and DFM on T1 work differently. On K2XX, I drove about 150 thousand km on 0-W20 oil, and the consumption was always the same. This is about 1 liter per 12 thousand km. Therefore, I have a feeling that switching to X-W30 oil will not give a change in oil consumption
The new HD pickups with the 6.6L don't have any active fuel management system, but they share the same engine architecture as the LT 6.2L from what I understand. All V8 all the time......the way it should be in my book.

The previous LS 6.2 and LT 6.2 are different animals in many ways. The LS is 6 qts, the LT is 8 qts capacity. I'm sure some of the block stuff may be similar, but many changes were made as you implied for DFM and AFM, as well as direct injection.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that it, as most posts here reiterate, that skimping on oil changes does nothing but create potential issues down the road. Whether it be lifters, oil pump issues, timing chains, etc. Oil and filters are CHEAP longevity enhancing items.

Interesting case: my sister has a newer Palisade. She has always done what Hyundai says is the recommended intervals. They use a synthetic blend and say it's good for 7500 miles. Fast forward to 70K and now it burns a quart every 1200 to 1800 miles. YUK!

We advised changing it more frequently and see what happens. I hope it turns around for her. What a joke.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting case: my sister has a newer Palisade. She has always done what Hyundai says is the recommended intervals. They use a synthetic blend and say it's good for 7500 miles. Fast forward to 70K and now it burns a quart every 1200 to 1800 miles. YUK!

We advised changing it more frequently and see what happens. I hope it turns around for her.
1. Hyundai, like every other vehicle manufacturer, wants each vehicle to last 10 years / 150000 miles
MAXIMUM.
Why would they or any other manufacturer recommend oil change intervals that would allow the vehicle to last long enough to eat into their future profits?

2. An ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure.
If a Hyundai Palisade takes 6qt per oil change, & she should have changed it 2x as often ...
By the time the engine has cumulatively consumed 60qt of oil, she'll be rid of it /in the market for a newer vehicle anyway, which is exactly what Hyundai wanted - and what every other manufacturer also wants.

TL, DR:
Change your oil somewhere between 20% & 50% more often than recommended by the vehicle maker / oil / filter.

TexasLC

Reaction score
My 2021 is starting it's 2nd oil consumption test after the first one was done incorrectly.

Right now, I'm appearing to be burning about 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles. But again, my test was done wrong so we're starting over.

Dealer gave me literature from GM that says 1 quart every 2,000 miles for normal driving is acceptable...that seems unacceptable to me...

My last full oil change, I went 5,000 miles roughly, checked the dipstick and there was just a tiny drop on the end the dipstick.

Can't believe these motors are burning this much oil. Or am I just being overly picky?

The car has only 44,000 miles...

dbphillips

Reaction score
My 2021 is starting it's 2nd oil consumption test after the first one was done incorrectly.

Right now, I'm appearing to be burning about 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles. But again, my test was done wrong so we're starting over.

Dealer gave me literature from GM that says 1 quart every 2,000 miles for normal driving is acceptable...that seems unacceptable to me...

My last full oil change, I went 5,000 miles roughly, checked the dipstick and there was just a tiny drop on the end the dipstick.

Can't believe these motors are burning this much oil. Or am I just being overly picky?

The car has only 44,000 miles...
What engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts