Oil consumption between changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing high oil consumption between changes? I seem to be burning (no leaks) around 1 qt. every 4k-ish miles. Noticed a qt. down at 1st change and I have been watching it since. I'm using Amsoil 0w20 and my miles are 90% highway.

Attachments

• 20220305_171453.jpg
    20220305_171453.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 13

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW on other forums guys have said when they switched to AMSOIL their vehicle started using oil... But previous changes that they had done at the dealer (Which may have come free with the vehicle...) they said zero usage between changes on AC Delco oil....You can draw your own conclusion from that....

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing high oil consumption between changes? I seem to be burning (no leaks) around 1 qt. every 4k-ish miles. Noticed a qt. down at 1st change and I have been watching it since. I'm using Amsoil 0w20 and my miles are 90% highway.

Frankly, it seems unacceptably high from my point of view (although I suspect your dealer would tell you it is within spec for now).

I haven't read about oil consumption issues with Amsoil products, but I don't go to a lot of other forums. I will say that a long time ago, I used to road race Formula Fords in SCCA, where we used low tension rings for maximum HP. When some of the guys started using Redline Synthetic oil, many saw oil consumption jump. Dropping back to a product like Valvoline Synthetic would restore normal consumption. So maybe dropping back to something like a Delco or equivalent product just might fix the issue. Stranger things have happened.

If changing oils doesn't fix it, I would probably start rattling some cages at the dealer and GM regional people as it might be an issue longer term (like when you are out of warranty). On that score, my '07 Yukon started using a lot of oil around the 85K mark. At 90K it was enough that my dealer did the AFM oil consumption TSB and the result of the process was they determined I needed new rings and pistons. GM did step up and supply all the parts and materials for the piston swap and my dealer did the labor essentially at cost so my out the door cost for the repair was really reasonable. I think the problem with that anecdote is who knows what GM's policies on such things will be years from now, when all they care about is EV sales.

Reddevil96

Reaction score
I would be real interested in where the oil is going. I installed a PCV catch can at 300 miles and getting 1.5oz every 1500-1800 miles and I am running Amsoil signature 5w-30 right now, going to 0w-30 next oil change. As of now at 2800 miles I have had zero consumption issue. According to Amsoil tests, they have one of the best evaporation rates compared to other oils and well as viscosity control at high temps, so even at 0w-20 it should be better than others, may have an oil control ring issue, may be worth the effort to run some seafoam through it. especially if you let it run through DFM and auto start a lot.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be real interested in where the oil is going. I installed a PCV catch can at 300 miles and getting 1.5oz every 1500-1800 miles and I am running Amsoil signature 5w-30 right now, going to 0w-30 next oil change. As of now at 2800 miles I have had zero consumption issue. According to Amsoil tests, they have one of the best evaporation rates compared to other oils and well as viscosity control at high temps, so even at 0w-20 it should be better than others, may have an oil control ring issue, may be worth the effort to run some seafoam through it. especially if you let it run through DFM and auto start a lot.
What is the advantage of using 5w-30 or 0w-30 instead of the 0w-20 GM recommends?

OP
OP
Matt Wilson II
Reaction score
Frankly, it seems unacceptably high from my point of view (although I suspect your dealer would tell you it is within spec for now).

I haven't read about oil consumption issues with Amsoil products, but I don't go to a lot of other forums. I will say that a long time ago, I used to road race Formula Fords in SCCA, where we used low tension rings for maximum HP. When some of the guys started using Redline Synthetic oil, many saw oil consumption jump. Dropping back to a product like Valvoline Synthetic would restore normal consumption. So maybe dropping back to something like a Delco or equivalent product just might fix the issue. Stranger things have happened.

If changing oils doesn't fix it, I would probably start rattling some cages at the dealer and GM regional people as it might be an issue longer term (like when you are out of warranty). On that score, my '07 Yukon started using a lot of oil around the 85K mark. At 90K it was enough that my dealer did the AFM oil consumption TSB and the result of the process was they determined I needed new rings and pistons. GM did step up and supply all the parts and materials for the piston swap and my dealer did the labor essentially at cost so my out the door cost for the repair was really reasonable. I think the problem with that anecdote is who knows what GM's policies on such things will be years from now, when all they care about is EV sales.
I will most likely try ACDelco oil for my next change and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I may have questions for the engineering staff at Amsoil. This seems very bizarre for a modern vehicle. I have no rough idle or smoke on cold starts. The truck honestly runs well. I can only surmise that AFM is the culprit, if anything. It has been a nightmare for Mopar with with Gen III Hemi (I have a 2012 Hemi Charger) and it would make sense it would be an issue on this platform. I really appreciate everyone responding to my post and I will definitely update with anything I learn. You guys are awesome.

Reddevil96

Reaction score
What is the advantage of using 5w-30 or 0w-30 instead of the 0w-20 GM recommends?
For me, I not convinced other than fuel economy that 0w-20 is enough especially for the 6.2 that is 90% the same long block as the Camaro and C7 corvette that recommend 0w-40 esp formula. granted some of that comes because 0w-40 is good mix for track and street, but in my opinion 0w-30 is a better combination for the health of the engine, especially for me in phoenix with extremes of 115 degrees in the summer. I would love for a GM powertrain engineer to explain the reasoning, until then its only my opinion.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Can you please tell me what is your oil consumption situation?
Let me tell you about our experience. In our club there is a huge live thread about oil consumption. and there are all Tahi from GMT840 to T1. According to our statistics, 900 Tahoes do not use oil at all. K2XX and T1 are consumed. and motors 5.3 and 6.2. But we have identified a dependence on driving style.
If you regularly drive fast. And not at high speed there 160-180 mph, namely constant acceleration. That oil eats. If you ride like a "grandfather". That oil is enough from replacement to replacement. Well, maybe it will go from the MAX level to the MIN. The record holder is one familiar owner of Tahoe T1 with a 5.3 engine. He adds 1 liter of oil after 4000 km after replacement, and then every 2000 km 1 liter of oil. But he drives like crazy, he has an average fuel consumption of 10MPG on a combined cycle)
Personally, my experience on the motor 6.2. This is up to 8000 km after an oil change, the level is at MAX. Further beyond 1000 km, the level drops sharply to MIN. After that I add 1 liter, which lasts until the next oil change at 14,000 km. And exactly the same story was on the Tahoe K2XX with the same 6.2 engine.
Moreover, the oil is recommended DEXOS 0-W20.
More likely, oil consumption is associated with the transition to 0-W20 oil, because 5-W30 oil is not consumed that way. I tried it once on the Tahoe K2XX, but the servicemen really do not recommend pouring 5-W30 into our engines.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Moreover, the oil is recommended DEXOS 0W-20 ...
Although I'm sure I'm not smart enough to figure out why, what if 'DEXOS' is part of the problem?

Put another way:
Is EVERY xW20 more susceptible to oil consumption, or is it just DEXOS xW20 motor oils?

For whatever it's worth, I think y'all may need to consider getting tuned to lower your pcm's fan-on thresholds, or a slightly cooler thermostat, or invest in some other form of motor oil cooling, or maybe just use 0W30 ... I dunno.

In related news, I'm about to go on a VERY long trip, for which I'll be using Valvoline Modern Engine Oil 5W20 in an attempt to improve my fuel economy.
Now I'm gonna buy some Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology 5W30, just in case oil offgassing / consumption turns out to be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout