Oil Change Interval ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you cut a filter open and remove the media, do you blot it clean/dry or let it sit and drain? I've looked inside filters and I only see black, wet, shiny oil. If I removed the media, it'd just look like a shop rag soaked in oil. Just wondering how you get it to the point in your pic above, where you can see and identify the particles in the creases.

I hang it vertically for a week or two and let gravity do its thing.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at my dipstick, oil has about 3000 miles on it...it was fairly dirty. I am going to use my "free" oil change when I get backk up north. The OLM shows 51 % right now.

Given the fact that it had OE plugs in it at 134k miles I am not sure how religious the previous owners were on OC.

Reaction score
I looked at my dipstick, oil has about 3000 miles on it...it was fairly dirty. I am going to use my "free" oil change when I get backk up north. The OLM shows 51 % right now.

Given the fact that it had OE plugs in it at 134k miles I am not sure how religious the previous owners were on OC.
How do you know they were original plugs?

Just curious. I just recently changed my plugs at 110k miles (bought vehicle last year with 101k miles) with ACDelco 41-110 plugs and that is the same #s that I pulled out. It ran fine and the plugs seemed fine but definitely looked like they've been in there at least a couple of years.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know they were original plugs?

Just curious. I just recently changed my plugs at 110k miles (bought vehicle last year with 101k miles) with ACDelco 41-110 plugs and that is the same #s that I pulled out. It ran fine and the plugs seemed fine but definitely looked like they've been in there at least a couple of years.

Just looking at them, the heat glazing on the creamic etc. They were OE. Same pt number as yours. Plus the erosion on the electrode. My highway gas mileage went up also. I had been at 14-15- Now at 17- 18. Changed plugs and wires.

Theres a pic in my thread.

Last edited:

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run about 4-5500 miles on my OC... Its getting a nice color change by then... But not black... You may dump some marvel mystery oil in a day or 2 before your change, let it clean up whatever may be in there if sludge etc...

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evidence?

We bought our 07 Yukon 6.2L Denali one yr ago. We have put 16,000+ miles on it. We have done 2 oil and filter changes(8,000 miles ea) and 2 UOA, (used oil analysis). Each time I have cut the oil filter open and have found black carbon/gunk/crud at the bottom of the pleats(See pics in posts #s 1 & 27 here). I've asked myself if my extended oil change intervals are causing this stuff or is the oil I'm using, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, actually slowly cleaning up the carbon/gunk/crud that's stuck on the guts of the engine from it's prior life? I think I have my answer.

The oil I'm using is cleaning things up. I came to this conclusion by taking the new improved driver side valve cover off for inspection(see pic below). It is still as clean as new(the evidence). It was installed 16,000+ miles ago before we started using this oil. Here's a pic from the other day.
View media item 28002
The pic below is from a yr ago when I take the original VC off and installed the new improved one.
View media item 27448
You won't catch me adding any product(s) to my oil that might quickly break the gunk loose for fear of plugging things up.

You may remember we bought this 07 Yukon 6.2L Denali Oct. 2018 w/130k miles off a used car lot without any mx history. We figured out real quick that it burned and leaked a lot of oil. But, it had good oil pressure and drove like a dream. I am a DIYer. I fixed the leaks by changing the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. Cured the oil burning by installing the new improved driver side valve cover and performing TSB 10-06-01-008M. I made a lot of posts here w/pics last Nov & Dec when I was doing all this work. There is a lot of gunk/crud built up inside the engine from its prior life. I also installed a remote engine oil bypass filtration system that utilizes an Amsoil EaBP90 spin-on filter.

I cleaned and reinstalled the spark plugs, installed new wires, installed a catch can. Before I fixed everything, the catch can was catching about 1oz of oil every 100 miles. Now it catches 1 oz every 6000 miles. We don't need to add oil between 8,000 mile oil/filter changes.

We love our Yukon

What do ya think?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loving the in-depth documenting. I'm looking forward to the pics of the filter pleats with almost nothing in the creases. Having this thread to reference and compare is gold!

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loving the in-depth documenting. I'm looking forward to the pics of the filter pleats with almost nothing in the creases. Having this thread to reference and compare is gold!

I don't think I'll ever see the end of crud in my filters. I say that based on the amount of crud I saw when I had things apart. But at least NOW its heading in the right direction, removing the gunk/crud it instead of adding to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645