Oil Change Interval ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OAI kits thru Amsoil include TBN, oxidation, nitration, etc at the price I mentioned previously.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used Oil Analysis(UOA) and Return on Equity(ROE)

10+ yrs ago before I started doing UOA, I changed my oil & filter every 3K miles. Now, on my FJ, I change them every 12-15k miles. On the Yukon it's lookin like every 8-9k miles. I'll let yaw do the math.

I no longer need to keep doing UOA, but I do because why?(read the 1st sentence of post #1 here)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
OAI kits thru Amsoil include TBN, oxidation, nitration, etc at the price I mentioned previously.

Right on. Just mentioning another popular option. I like the way Blackstone does their thing. I enjoy the personal touch. Theres a note on each one that says "Hey Nate, check on this, what's up with this, did you do this, try this.....etc."

Side note, go read their FAQ page of you ever need a good chuckle.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I sent a sample to both OAI and Blackstone labs just to see if the results would be the same, They were. The TBN# was about 2.2, and OAI said to change the oil & filter, and Blackstone said to keep running it. So I choose OAI.
I like the fact that Blackstone has a larger data base and gives the "universal avg". And Blackstone is not afraid to do aircraft engines.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-40w. I thought you would never ask :)

1st) it's SN rated
2nd) I stole it. By that I mean Mobil had a mail-in rebate program on it in 2018 of $12 gal, I bought 6 gals at my local NAPA on sale for $22/gal. Minus the $12/gal equals $10/gal. I couldn't pass that up.

For 2019 Mobil has another mail-in rebate program:
https://apfco.com/secured/R10083W
But they're not as generous, only $10/gal, limit five1 gal jugs, and NAPA isn't on the "terms & conditions" list of sellers. AutoZone and O'reilly is, so maybe I can catch a sale there.

Mobil also sells Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-30w. If I can kind find a deal, maybe I'll stock up on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil also sells Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-30w. If I can kind find a deal, maybe I'll stock up on it.

OK, I found a deal on Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-30w full synthetic oil. I got an email yesterday from O'Reiillys with a 25% off orders of $100 or more and free shipping(use coupon code AUG25). Combine this discount with the 2019 Mobil mail-in rebate, https://apfco.com/secured/R10083W , of $10/gal, I'll end up paying $12.50/gal + tax to my door. SWEEEET!!!

I ordered five 1 gal containers. That will be enough oil for the Yukon & FJ for 2019 & 2020 at least.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the inside of the engine slowly

We bought this 07 Yukon Denali 6.2L last Oct. w/130k miles from a used car lot without any mx history. I figured out real quick that the previous owner did NOT take very good care of it. I payed less than $10k for it, so I got what I payed for. But, it had good oil pressure and drove like a dream. Since I'm a DIYer, I fixed the leaks by changing the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. I cured the oil burning by installing the new improved driver side valve cover and performing TSB 10-06-01-008M. I made a lot of posts here w/pics last Nov & Dec when I was doing all this work. When I had things apart, it was easy to see that there is a lot of gunk/crud built up inside the engine from its prior life.

I believe now the engine is being cleaned slowly with the high quality engine oil that I'm using, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP. The filter element pictured below has 7800 miles(35% remaining) on it. The engine had 148+K miles and 4634 hrs on it. You can see the debris that the oil filter is catching in the bottom of the folds. IMO the detergent additives in this oil are doing a good job of slowly cleaning things up in this engine.

I perfer not add anything to the engine oil/crankcase like Kreen etc to quickly remove the debris on the inside of an engine. I fear large chunk(s) will become dislodged and might block an oil passage(s) and/or score a bearing before being caught by my full flow and/or bypass filter(s).

When the filter was removed, I changed the oil to Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-30w and installed another Fram XG10575. I left the Amsoil EaBP90 in place for another run. We recently did another 2000 mile hwy trip. We averaged 65 mph and 17.5 mpg. I'll do another used oil analysis when this oilhas about 8k miles on it.

View media item 27985

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Cleaning the inside of the engine slowly

We bought this 07 Yukon Denali 6.2L last Oct. w/130k miles from a used car lot without any mx history. I figured out real quick that the previous owner did NOT real good care of it. I payed less than $10k for it, so I got what I payed for. But, it had good oil pressure and drove like a dream. Since I'm a DIYer, I fixed the leaks by changing the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. I cured the oil burning by installing the new improved driver side valve cover and performing TSB 10-06-01-008M. I made a lot of posts here w/pics last Nov & Dec when I was doing all this work. When I had things apart, it was easy to see that there is a lot of gunk/crud built up inside the engine from its prior life.

I believe now the engine is being cleaned slowly with the high quality engine oil that I'm using, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP. The filter element pictured below has 7800 miles(35% remaining) on it. The engine had 148+K miles and 4634 hrs on it. You can see the debris that the oil filter is catching in the bottom of the folds. IMO the detergent additives in this oil are doing a good job of slowly cleaning things up in this engine.

I perfer not add anything to the engine oil/crankcase like Kreen etc to quickly remove the debris on the inside of an engine. I fear large chunk(s) will become dislodged and might block an oil passage(s) and/or score a bearing before being caught by my full flow and/or bypass filter(s).

When the filter was removed, I changed the oil to Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-30w and installed another Fram XG10575. I left the Amsoil EaBP90 in place for another run. We recently did another 2000 mile hwy trip. We averaged 65 mph and 17.5 mpg. I'll do another used oil analysis when this oilhas about 8k miles on it.

View media item 27985
Looks like your hard work is paying off.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you cut a filter open and remove the media, do you blot it clean/dry or let it sit and drain? I've looked inside filters and I only see black, wet, shiny oil. If I removed the media, it'd just look like a shop rag soaked in oil. Just wondering how you get it to the point in your pic above, where you can see and identify the particles in the creases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne