OBD2 information overload.. not sure if I should be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GO0BER

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just access to my first 'big kid OBD2 reader'.. its from a friend and I was able to borrow it for the weekend. Looking at data I have never been able to see before (or rather.. seeing it in a different format) was quite interesting..
First.. I noticed my cooling is not as 'done' as I thought it was.. I am still pushing 215 degrees or so when I should be 210 ish.. I didn't see if it ever went above that.. but what caught my eye was the engine load percent. I thought it was weird to have 40ish % engine load at idle (in park/neutral I was ~34%).. so I got on the forum here and found that items such as MAF and Intake Air Temp can alter this reading.. so I took my MAF out, cleaned it.. nothing.. went and bought a new one and my idle smoothed out quite a bit (I didn't even realize it was rough) but my load % is still very high.
Now I am in Arizona and my ambient temperature is definitely more than some other places.. today was ~104, my ECU says ambient temps were ~90, but my IAT was ~180 while sitting in my yard idling.. Does this seem normal? Should I be worried about the engine load %?
I checked my 02 suburban and that has the 5.3 (compared to the 6.0 in the yukon) and that read engine load % of 2.5%..
Anything else I should check since the MAF (and by default the IAT being in 1) replacement did nothing?

Attachments

• Engine Load percent.jpg
    Engine Load percent.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 6

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine load at idle is about 28%. IATs get hot when idling in place, that's normal. Air that hot will certainly affect the performance of the motor and its idle percentage.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are pretty normal there... The IAT should drop down as soon as you start moving...
Mine hang around 110-120 sitting still on a 90* day... So about 20* over ambient...
You might want to check how your air filter box is sealed ( or lack of) to the inner fender where
it gets it cooler air from outside the engine compartment

OP
OP
G

GO0BER

Reaction score
You are pretty normal there... The IAT should drop down as soon as you start moving...
Mine hang around 110-120 sitting still on a 90* day... So about 20* over ambient...
You might want to check how your air filter box is sealed ( or lack of) to the inner fender where
it gets it cooler air from outside the engine compartment
Mine don't ever stabalize... continues to rise to 180+.. though I did just have a CEL pop on for efficiency in bank 1 and 2 (most likely bad cats... SUCK!).. I can pretty much promise they are cats because I have already done maint on all other possible causes (head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, intake gasket, plugs, wires, etc)..
I am assuming when I sealed up the exhaust manifolds this past week and the engine is now forcing all exhaust where it belongs, a problematic cat from the previous owner is starting to show.. hesitation on acceleration, low power feeling, and I am starting to overheat at idle almost immediately again.. Guage starts ticking up within ~30 seconds of stopping at a light. And the ENTIRE cooling system is all brand new.. so I am trying to chase down cats atm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos