Noise that matches roadspeed: tires, diff, bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbuckeye20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We bought this 2015 used, mostly for road trips or if we need to tow a horse (havent yet). I went on vacation for 2 weeks and now I'm not sure if it always sounded like this and I'm just used to the rental car or this is some kinda "problem"

The video was recorded in 2WD. I tried switching to Auto but that didnt change any of the sound. To me it sounds like the engine is just stuck on high rev but obviously it is following my speed with the pitch of the noise

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ro31fk01xa71oo/noise2.mov?dl=0

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear it. Definitely warrants a trip to the mechanic, IMO. It doesn't sound normal.

I'm not remotely qualified to judge, but I'd expect a higher pitch noise if it were a differential issue. It does sound like bearing issues I've had in the past, though I've always felt a little of the friction through the driveline (in other vehicles though). Might also be a partially separated tread on a tire or something similar - what condition are the tires in?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine doesnt sound like that...
cant hear it real well on my pc, but it sounds more like tires or bearings.

any odd vibrations? hoe do tires look? (along face & on tread)
how is tire pressure?

OP
OP
cbuckeye20

cbuckeye20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, 2 of you saying it sounds off was enough to schedule a service visit tomorrow!

No vibrations. 35psi cold, goes up to 39psi on highway. I'm not sure how many miles were on the tires when I bought it (used dealer didnt know).

Here are some pictures as well as a report from Chevy dealer when I first brought it in for an inspection prior to purchase. 1 of the tires is different and slightly newer looking/more depth.

He said it needed an alignment (which I did) but the uneveness damage already done

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8mht72qh0vqmmcj/AAAUNuavtd2zH-w24joIk8Lwa?dl=0

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, 2 of you saying it sounds off was enough to schedule a service visit tomorrow!

No vibrations. 35psi cold, goes up to 39psi on highway. I'm not sure how many miles were on the tires when I bought it (used dealer didnt know).

Here are some pictures as well as a report from Chevy dealer when I first brought it in for an inspection prior to purchase. 1 of the tires is different and slightly newer looking/more depth.

He said it needed an alignment (which I did) but the uneveness damage already done

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8mht72qh0vqmmcj/AAAUNuavtd2zH-w24joIk8Lwa?dl=0
I think you could definitely get some roar like that if you had cupping or other peculiar tire wear. Let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
cbuckeye20

cbuckeye20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was a bearing in the right front hub assembly. Replaced and all better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn