Noise in driveline, pinion bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 Yukon XL Denali AWD.

I have had this driveline noise for a little while, seems to be slightly more noticeable and I'm not sure what it is, my guess is maybe the pinion bearing.

Short history, it has 120K miles, bought it with 90K, all service is documented at dealer. When I bought it, I replaced both diff fluids, and transfer case fluid.

The rear pinion was wet but not dripping, it later started to drip and I had the rear pinion seal replaced.

Recently I had both driveshafts balanced with new U joints in both shafts, also both front hub and bearings.

I have new axle shaft bearings I'm going to replace but haven't got to them yet. My guess is maybe the diff was ran low by the previous owner at one point, not sure

This noise is most noticeable under a slight load above 50 MPH, this audio is from 70-75 MPH.

It's a pulsating, higher pitched noise about every 1.5 sec, like a sine wave.

I took the audio with a stereo Sennheiser mic in the drivers footwell with the gain turned up a bit, you may have to turn the bass down a little if poss, but the noise is there after a few seconds.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You said an interesting thing about the rear pinion seal replaced. I was in shops where I found out later that when the pinion nut was removed and yoke pulled and seal replaced and then yoke reinstalled, the techs were "winging it" so to speak when they reinstalled the pinion nut. The way I was shown and did was that before I removed the nut I measured from the tip of the pinion threads to the top of the nut. I then scribed the end on the shaft, the nut, the yoke and down to the diff housing. When I put back together I made sure it all lined up and the same measurement from the tip of threads to the top of nut was the same and I verified there was no binding or slop and that it turned easy. If the tech that did your seal was not that careful, that could explain why you may have a pinion bearing noise.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tech that did your seal was not that careful, that could explain why you may have a pinion bearing noise.

Yeah, that's the only part of this that gives me worry. The shop that did the seal, has experience with this as they have been racing for 40 years, and have set up many rears. However.....that doesn't mean the tech who did the job was careful enough so I agree your concern is very plausible.

I do need to verify it's coming from the rear diff, as opposed to the front, my gut says the rear though.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have no experience with this but i have a story i sure someone will get a good chuckle from.
so i had a guy asking to borrow tools so he could change his pinion gear and bearing. i told him id only have the sockets he needed not the tools to set the spacing to have proper backlash. he proceeded to tell me thats all he needed because the "new stuff" will properly seat itself. i tried to argue with him but he insisted all he had to do was tighten it "until you couldn't" then back it off a 1/4 turn. so because im a ***** i caved and just lent him the tools he requested. couple of days later he was driving it around and i could hear his gears halfway down the street screaming. he says what should i do i think you were right.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
i have no experience with this but i have a story i sure someone will get a good chuckle from.
so i had a guy asking to borrow tools so he could change his pinion gear and bearing. i told him id only have the sockets he needed not the tools to set the spacing to have proper backlash. he proceeded to tell me thats all he needed because the "new stuff" will properly seat itself. i tried to argue with him but he insisted all he had to do was tighten it "until you couldn't" then back it off a 1/4 turn. so because im a ***** i caved and just lent him the tools he requested. couple of days later he was driving it around and i could hear his gears halfway down the street screaming. he says what should i do i think you were right.
"i think you were right", yep, I think you were right, too. Surprised that it did not lock up. Those diff's can get hot enough that the pinion bearing race will be gaulded or a new one would just fall in there.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have had this driveline noise for a little while, seems to be slightly more noticeable and I'm not sure what it is, my guess is maybe the pinion bearing.

Short history, it has 120K miles, bought it with 90K, all service is documented at dealer. When I bought it, I replaced both diff fluids, and transfer case fluid.

The rear pinion was wet but not dripping, it later started to drip and I had the rear pinion seal replaced.

Recently I had both driveshafts balanced with new U joints in both shafts, also both front hub and bearings.

I have new axle shaft bearings I'm going to replace but haven't got to them yet. My guess is maybe the diff was ran low by the previous owner at one point, not sure

This noise is most noticeable under a slight load above 50 MPH, this audio is from 70-75 MPH.

I took the audio with a stereo Sennheiser mic in the drivers footwell with the gain turned up a bit, you may have to turn the bass down a little if poss, but the noise is there after a few seconds.

So, what are you going to do? Jack up both rear wheels, remove the drive shaft, check for free movement of yoke, back and to, tighten nut slightly until no movement can be felt. Rotate the yoke, a small resistance, may be enough. assemble, road test. A short road test at first. comeback and check temperature of housing neck. The torque required to rotate the yoke as a test is published, but escapes my memory at the moment. But is included in service manuals. I am have time to look it up later..

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A pinion bearing usually develops a very prominent growl, in my experience. You might try sitting in the backseat while someone else drives and see if it’s louder from back there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before taking it apart:
1688494263088.png

Before putting it back together:
1688494335509.png

Remember that there is a crush washer in there to keep tension on the pinion and once the nut has been loosened, the tension is lost so we must tighten it just a little more next with a NEW pinion nut. The shop manuals always show this being done manually but youtube shows most people using an impact gun.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what are you going to do? Jack up both rear wheels, remove the drive shaft, check for free movement of yoke, back and to, tighten nut slightly until no movement can be felt. Rotate the yoke, a small resistance, may be enough. assemble, road test. A short road test at first. comeback and check temperature of housing neck. The torque required to rotate the yoke as a test is published, but escapes my memory at the moment. But is included in service manuals. I am have time to look it up later..

I won't get to it today, but will dive into tomorrow hopefully. My luck will be it's too tight and I would need to replace the crush sleeve and likely the bearings, or rebuild the rear.
A pinion bearing usually develops a very prominent growl, in my experience. You might try sitting in the backseat while someone else drives and see if it’s louder from back there.

I can't tell for sure but under a good load if there is a faint growl starting, it might be masked by the exhaust. That leads me another topic I've been meaning to bring up. The exhaust looks OE but it seems like it has a little more bark than other 6.2 GMT 900's I've heard. Steady cruise is quiet, but under acceleration it has a nice exhaust note..or how crazy would it be that it's actually a pinion.

Before taking it apart:
View attachment 403343

Before putting it back together:
View attachment 403344

Remember that there is a crush washer in there to keep tension on the pinion and once the nut has been loosened, the tension is lost so we must tighten it just a little more next with a NEW pinion nut. The shop manuals always show this being done manually but youtube shows most people using an impact gun.

Thanks for that.

For the 8.6", does this rotational torque include the axles or with them pulled? Or just the calipers removed?

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pinion bearing usually develops a very prominent growl

This is something I may have overlooked. Have experienced many front hub and bearings sounding like you have mud tires when they are worn, I will focus a bit more on any growl or roughness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog