No start but have power/ Tahoe running and then gages drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welp after having it “fixed” for four days, today it started doing the whole thing where it was “dead” again I thought the problem was the negative cable came loose so I tightened it down more with a different bolt and it worked again, I went out to leave work and same deal acting like it was dead, I’m about done with this Tahoe, getting ready to make it someone else’s problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know the feeling. Everytime I thought about ditching mine I kept thinking about all the problems I don't have that are harder to fix and all the maintanance I've already done.

So, it sounds like you did a completely new ground cable from battery and a new power from battery to the starter and mega fuse. Have you done the power from mega to fuse box?

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
I know the feeling. Everytime I thought about ditching mine I kept thinking about all the problems I don't have that are harder to fix and all the maintanance I've already done.

So, it sounds like you did a completely new ground cable from battery and a new power from battery to the starter and mega fuse. Have you done the power from mega to fuse box?
Thats the only cable I haven’t replaced yet, this morning I had a chance to cut the old cable that went to the starter to see if there was any problem with it and it was clean and no corrosion.. I even added grounds from the firewall to the battery and from the firewall to the front of the block, yeah I hear ya about all the maintenance, I do everything myself so definitely a lot of time and sweat in it

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
When was the battery last changed? A bad cell can wreak havoc on an electrical system. Has the BCM been checked for codes?
The date on the battery if I remember right was from 16?? I’ve check it 3 times now and the voltage is good, I’ve even taken a battery out of a 2008 GMC Sierra and it was good for a day and then had the same problem that battery was less than a year old..i was gonna check for codes but i spent 45 mins or so to find a good bolt to use on the battery, I also read that the battery terminal on some battery’s are a little smaller so the clamp won’t get tight, i has a brand new cables and the negative was a pain to get tight and when I thought I got it tight enough I could still move it around but I think I got it pretty snug to the end of the bolt.. BCM is brand new so I’ll check that tomorrow, I also read that wires under the dash are getting rubbed on metal?? It always helps to type in a different year definitely more information about this problem but of course there no solution just problems

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brandon I would think that there has to be internal trouble codes stored, especially since the IPC goes dead. A basic code reader cannot see these kinds of codes. I forget what you were using. I hate electrical problems too but having a Tech2 usually gets to the bottom of problems fast.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
Brandon I would think that there has to be internal trouble codes stored, especially since the IPC goes dead. A basic code reader cannot see these kinds of codes. I forget what you were using. I hate electrical problems too but having a Tech2 usually gets to the bottom of problems fast.
I have a snap on solstice scanner at work, can see a lot of information on that bad boy, I’m going to go mess with it here in a few and just see if and what the deal is, I know last time it did this it was the same codes from way back in may, now I seen that after replacing certain parts you are supposed to go clear the computers memory like a rest?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a snap on solstice scanner at work, can see a lot of information on that bad boy, I’m going to go mess with it here in a few and just see if and what the deal is, I know last time it did this it was the same codes from way back in may, now I seen that after replacing certain parts you are supposed to go clear the computers memory like a rest?

Some codes clear on their own after so many successful starts, others need to be cleared. I would just clear them all and see what returns.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
Some codes clear on their own after so many successful starts, others need to be cleared. I would just clear them all and see what returns.
Ok so I have a whole list of codes, they are completely different codes I had last week, today I went and moved all the wires around and I could get it to do anything, I haven’t seen any wires that are cut or rubbing on metal, I couldn’t get it to do anything. 3 of the codes say to replace the BCM which is new, so I don’t know if I got a bad one or not, I’m having a guy look at it tomorrow to see if he finds anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk