No start but have power/ Tahoe running and then gages drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
Perhaps your is different from mine but my positive cable comes off the battery and goes to the 175A mega fuse on the fire wall before splitting off and going to various locations including the starter and the main fuse box under the hood.
Mines the same way but the 175 mega fuse is right on top of the battery basically, the cable I bought was the main line that has were the fuse goes and has the spots where the fuse box line hooks in along with the alternator and then the cable that on the connector that’s connects to the battery and goes to the starter, I would post a picture but for some reason I get a error when I go to post with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines the same way but the 175 mega fuse is right on top of the battery basically, the cable I bought was the main line that has were the fuse goes and has the spots where the fuse box line hooks in along with the alternator and then the cable that on the connector that’s connects to the battery and goes to the starter, I would post a picture but for some reason I get a error when I go to post with it

E87E5EAE-5C9A-41AD-96BF-8BAEE4E307AC.png

Something like this....;)

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yes kinda looks like that but I don’t know about the black plastic looking thing on the very end I’ll look when I get to work and see if it’ll let me post a picture

You've already spent the money on the cable... May as well install it and see if it solves your issues.... make sure you clean all the connections on the mega fuse really well.

Baking soda and a little water mixed into a paste, applied with a tooth brush, works well... also a little sand paper or a wire brush to shine everything up afterwards works great.

I would also clean the other end at the fuse box as well.

jlee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going on one year now after intermittant issues similar to yours (radio, gauges, locks, traction control, etc). I first changed out the negative battery cable cleaning the grounds really well. Then I had issues months later and changed the positive cable to the fuse box along with the mega fuse. Then a couple months later again, problem is back. I then added a 2nd ground from the engine by the alternator to the firewall as I read the engine ground strap can corrode and it's hard to get to. That was no help and I was ready to go and replace the bcm next, but decided to try the new battery positive I had that goes to the starter and the mega fuse. Not an issue since. I used all new ac delco cables from Amazon completely changing out the old ones except the engine ground strap. Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
I'm going on one year now after intermittant issues similar to yours (radio, gauges, locks, traction control, etc). I first changed out the negative battery cable cleaning the grounds really well. Then I had issues months later and changed the positive cable to the fuse box along with the mega fuse. Then a couple months later again, problem is back. I then added a 2nd ground from the engine by the alternator to the firewall as I read the engine ground strap can corrode and it's hard to get to. That was no help and I was ready to go and replace the bcm next, but decided to try the new battery positive I had that goes to the starter and the mega fuse. Not an issue since. I used all new ac delco cables from Amazon completely changing out the old ones except the engine ground strap. Hope this helps some.
I will put that cable on tomorrow or Wednesday, I also started to wiggle the fuse box around because there was no power and when I did that I got power back and started it up, so I took out the plastic case that holds it down so i can flip it over and move wires around, I have got any where yet with it, it’s been to hot to work on it

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will put that cable on tomorrow or Wednesday, I also started to wiggle the fuse box around because there was no power and when I did that I got power back and started it up, so I took out the plastic case that holds it down so i can flip it over and move wires around, I have got any where yet with it, it’s been to hot to work on it

Ive said it before but the fuseboxes on these trucks are known to have corrosion in between the 2 halves..2 grey handles under cover and you can split it, clean it, dielectric grease it and button it back up. Do this very carefully... if something is corroded its easy to bend or even break a spade terminal in between both halves.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
Ive said it before but the fuseboxes on these trucks are known to have corrosion in between the 2 halves..2 grey handles under cover and you can split it, clean it, dielectric grease it and button it back up. Do this very carefully... if something is corroded its easy to bend or even break a spade terminal in between both halves.
I’ve already done that its all clean and no corrosion, with dielectric grease, i believe it’s something do do with the wires because I can move the box and everything will cut out and stall completely, I’ll probably mess with it later.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score

So I put that cable on, cleaned all the connections and fuse box again, the positive cable definitely is more snug than the old one, I’ll see what that’ll do

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
Welp after having it “fixed” for four days, today it started doing the whole thing where it was “dead” again I thought the problem was the negative cable came loose so I tightened it down more with a different bolt and it worked again, I went out to leave work and same deal acting like it was dead, I’m about done with this Tahoe, getting ready to make it someone else’s problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC