No start but have power/ Tahoe running and then gages drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I only replaced the negative end like where it goes to the battery, haven’t don’t positive because haven’t had a chance to raise up on the lift to get to the starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to replace the whole cable... that is where your problem is... I would bet on it.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
You need to replace the whole cable... that is where your problem is... I would bet on it.
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I have have a communication lost problem, I went and replaced the body control module because i was having codes related to the BCM... so far it’s been pretty good! It’s been about two weeks now

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I have have a communication lost problem, I went and replaced the body control module because i was having codes related to the BCM... so far it’s been pretty good! It’s been about two weeks now

Another member had his BCM go on the fritz as well. He bought a Tech2 and reprogrammed the BCM and so far so good.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
Another member had his BCM go on the fritz as well. He bought a Tech2 and reprogrammed the BCM and so far so good.
So I guess I spoke too soon it’s been almost 3 weeks with out a problem and tonight I was sitting at the gas station and all the gages dead lined had abs and trac light on my girlfriend said that the ac got hot and then the lights came on, luckily I still had a 10mm wrench in the center console, disconnect the pos from battery to reset everything and was able to drive it home.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd put all new cables on it. Had to do this with my three Pontiacs and an Oldsmobile over the years. I reckon this truck will need them too at some point. It is a wear item.

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
I replaced the whole cable and added 3 more grounds on Tuesday and today while I was with family two hours from home it has the same problem, this time my speedometer started going up and down, then the A/C got hot, all the dash lights would come on and then all the gages expected the battery voltage would go to 0 and then this time the locks went crazy like someone was playing with lock and unlock, and also the radio turned off which is the first time that’s happened as well. I’ve already spent close to $500 in the last two months to “fix” the problem, I replaced the BCM which was most of the cost,at this point I’m ready to sell it and make it someone else’s problem

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
This is a picture of when all the gages dropped to 0 and stayed lost all power but motor was still running and had no power to more even with foot to the floor

kbuskill

Reaction score
Did you replace both the positive and negative cable?

Did you do it yourself or have someone do it?

All the symptoms you are describing are exactly the problems that people have when their battery cables are corroded.

Have you taken the battery out to have it load tested?

OP
OP
T

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
Did you replace both the positive and negative cable?

Did you do it yourself or have someone do it?

All the symptoms you are describing are exactly the problems that people have when their battery cables are corroded.

Have you taken the battery out to have it load tested?
I replaced just the negative for now as well add grounds from the battery to the body and to the frame,I did it my self at my work on the lift, I do most of the work my self so I don’t have to cough up lost of moneys lol, I load tested it as well and it tested good. I have a new positive cable at work that I ordered but it just goes to the starter, I live in Kansas so there’s not much road salt or anything to get to these wires I keep under the hood pretty clean- just by taking a damp towel and wiping It clean, so not much to make it corroded..

kbuskill

Reaction score
I replaced just the negative for now as well add grounds from the battery to the body and to the frame,I did it my self at my work on the lift, I do most of the work my self so I don’t have to cough up lost of moneys lol, I load tested it as well and it tested good. I have a new positive cable at work that I ordered but it just goes to the starter, I live in Kansas so there’s not much road salt or anything to get to these wires I keep under the hood pretty clean- just by taking a damp towel and wiping It clean, so not much to make it corroded..

Perhaps your is different from mine but my positive cable comes off the battery and goes to the 175A mega fuse on the fire wall before splitting off and going to various locations including the starter and the main fuse box under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts