New To Me 98 Tahoe, Green

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not wild about that other site. Not sure what it is, but I get a bad vibe somehow.

Got it pulled apart and I see the clip.

Trip1.jpg

I pulled the two screws and removed the Trip Odometer. I sort of see how it works, but when I rotate the shaft by hand, the same thing happens. It gets stuck at 9.9 and won't roll over. UNLESS, I apply a slight bit of pressure to the back of the number wheels. Then it flips and keeps counting. Not sure what's going on there.

Edit ... on close examination, the black gear wheel closest to the red clip (left of the 3-4 in the picture), the drive gear wheel if you will, has a small crack, enough to make it loose on the drive shaft. A drop of E6000 hopefully will resolve that. If not, hopefully I can find the Trip Odometer as a separate unit somewhere.

Trip2.jpg

Last edited:

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not wild about that other site. Not sure what it is, but I get a bad vibe somehow.

Got it pulled apart and I see the clip.

View attachment 398046

I pulled the two screws and removed the Trip Odometer. I sort of see how it works, but when I rotate the shaft by hand, the same thing happens. It gets stuck at 9.9 and won't roll over. UNLESS, I apply a slight bit of pressure to the back of the number wheels. Then it flips and keeps counting. Not sure what's going on there.

Edit ... on close examination, the black gear wheel closest to the red clip (left of the 3-4 in the picture), the drive gear wheel if you will, has a small crack, enough to make it loose on the drive shaft. A drop of E6000 hopefully will resolve that. If not, hopefully I can find the Trip Odometer as a separate unit somewhere.

View attachment 398047
By the looks at what's going on there, you may have the lowest mileage truck of all of us, when the job is done! Lol

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this really the blower resistor, tucked in there on top of the box?

Resistor.jpg

Looks fun to pull out.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this tell me anything useful?

Label.jpg

Is there a decoder here for each 3 character alpha/numeric segment?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Relay there and the resistor will be mounted so that the heated part of the resistor will be inside the blower housing so that the air flow from the blower can cool the resistor.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second full tank of gas and I'm barely pushing 14MPG. All two lane rural roads (50-60MPH, some hills but not many) and some city driving.

Reasonable, or do I have some issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu