New here. Michigan. 2009 Tahoe SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Z

Reaction score
New to the forums. I’m in Dewitt Michigan. Used to have a 01 5.7 z71 ‘Burbon that was great. Fast forward 10 years later...

Went to look at an 09 Tahoe tonight to be used as a winter daily 4x4. It has 177k, they were asking 5K and they already mentioned it needed tires and would take 4,500. I took it for a solid test drive with the wife. everything felt great. Got it for 4K clean green title. Drove it 30 mins home no hiccups. Drove it again with my father in law (GM retiree) who said it felt like new. We look a little closer and notice a few odd things (like the lack of carpet).

I feel a bit dumb because I didn’t know it was an SSV when I looked at it. I had a P71 crown Vic a long time ago and should’ve known what to look at. In my defense, it was dark when I saw it and test drove it. It was cheap with high miles so I wasn’t looking super close anyway. Again, winter 4x4.

I’m seriously hoping this one (being an SSV instead of th PPV) wasn’t beat on too much by the boys in blue, and doesn’t have a zillion idle hours on it. It drives like new. Runs like a sewing machine. Definitely needs a set of all terrains.

Not a spot of rust, the underbody is clean AF, the interior isn’t clapped out, and there’s no cut out for a spotlight in the door. Just 3 plugs in the roof that look solid. (I could use advice on tsunami proofing those)

Some dog hair I think from the previous owner due to snout marks being visible on the driver window. I think if it was a K-9 unit, they have a cage in the back and don’t let dogs up by the instruments and guns.

I do have a few newb SSV questions though if anyone can help out.

Does it require a larger oil/coolant capacity because of the oil/trans coolers? (Does it even have those being an SSV?)

Would this model year have the 6L80?

Does it have oversized calipers or anything?

The PPV still has DOD correct?

What’s the biggest AT tire we can run w/O rubbing/trimming?

I know I’ll be on here a lot, so thanks in advance for all of the help with future questions.

I’ll get more pics but here it is.

E96FE3C4-9BEA-496C-B201-193D5C474D01.jpeg

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Folks with Tahoes similar to yours will chime in.

OP
OP
Chris Z

Chris Z

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Folks with Tahoes similar to yours will chime in.

Thanks for the kind words. Could anyone share a link to the capacities for the SSV? I tried searching to no avail.

I found this handy pamphlet for looking up vehicle options by code that I thought I would share.

https://www.dms.myflorida.com/content/download/52057/220267/file/071-132-s001.pdf

OP
OP
Chris Z

Chris Z

Reaction score
welcome from sw Michigan! should make a good winter ride with some decent tires.

Thanks BigDog. I managed to get an apt at SOS for tomorrow. Going to slap some rubber on it, give it an oil change with full synthetic, good vacuum and sterilization and we’re on the road.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lola, my daily hoe, was a K-9 unit. Talk about dog hair everywhere! My two hounds spent an hour sniffing every inch.
Welcome aboard.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome. Nice PPV. They robbed you with your rims tho. They took your PPV'z and gave you some nbs Z71 rims. Same size tho.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. Could anyone share a link to the capacities for the SSV? I tried searching to no avail.

I found this handy pamphlet for looking up vehicle options by code that I thought I would share.

https://www.dms.myflorida.com/content/download/52057/220267/file/071-132-s001.pdf
Which capacities are you looking for? Fluids?

with all the extra coolers mine has, it still doesn’t seem to change the basic numbers listed in the manual and other places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26