New to Forum. Fixing up my '03 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
All parts removed and it's at the Paint shop.

Since we were wondering about the shop quality at $6K cost, I asked the owner about the process. He said they fix all rust, dents, and scratches then prime all bare metal. The primed areas and the rest of the "good" paint is sanded before painting. They use 3 coats of black base coat (BASF Urathane) and 2 layers of clear coat. The painting is done in a 95 degree temperature controlled booth. The finish is then baked at 150 degrees for some time.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in a week or two.

Attachments

• Ready for Paint 1.JPG
    Ready for Paint 1.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Ready for Paint 2.JPG
    Ready for Paint 2.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Ready for paint 3.JPG
    Ready for paint 3.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
D Pillar Trim

Found a set of black Escalade D Pillar Trim pieces on eBay. They were in good shape with all the clips in place. The clear coat was starting to peel near the edges so I took them to the paint shop to have repainted when they paint the Tahoe. (pic)

Attachments

• D Pillar Trim.JPG
    D Pillar Trim.JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Replaced the grill bow tie with a metal one from Amazon. The original one is contoured and the new one is flat, but fits in the recess just fine. (old & installed new one in pic)

Attachments

• Bow Tie.JPG
    Bow Tie.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Took some pics at the body shop. Notice the tan spots on the roof (1st pic). It's not flaky rust like the ones on the surface. They said it's imbeded rust in the metal. They will probably bubble up in the future. It may take 1 year or may last 10 years. Options - 1. Chase all of them through and make patch repairs. 2. Replace the entire roof or 3. Epoxy over them and see how long they last. Option 1 & 2 are way too expensive. We're going with 3 and will just have to do spot repairs if they surface.

Attachments

• Body Work 4.JPG
    Body Work 4.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Body Work 6.JPG
    Body Work 6.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Body Work 7.JPG
    Body Work 7.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Body Work 10.JPG
    Body Work 10.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 10

Griffin

Administrator
Reaction score
Took some pics at the body shop. Notice the tan spots on the roof (1st pic). It's not flaky rust like the ones on the surface. They said it's imbeded rust in the metal. They will probably bubble up in the future. It may take 1 year or may last 10 years. Options - 1. Chase all of them through and make patch repairs. 2. Replace the entire roof or 3. Epoxy over them and see how long they last. Option 1 & 2 are way too expensive. We're going with 3 and will just have to do spot repairs if they surface.
What would the epoxy cost to redo it all?

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
If you want this thread moved over the Under Construction section or the 03 section just let me know.

You doing a excellent job!
Thanks. Feel free to move the posting to whichever section you think is best. I presume all folks who are following the post will still get updates. It's really nice to have their input.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Feel free to move the posting to whichever section you think is best. I presume all folks who are following the post will still get updates. It's really nice to have their input.
Yes build threads are in the Under Construction area and updates will still go out to everyone who is following. I have a thread there for my 02 Denali that’s currently 3900 posts lol. If you ever get bored there’s a link at the bottom of my posts.

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
What would the epoxy cost to redo it all?
I visited the shop today and asked about the epoxy application. They are planning on applying epoxy to the entire roof. Thanks for asking and prompting me to check.

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Visited the shop today. Pics of progress.

Attachments

• Body Work 14.JPG
    Body Work 14.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Body Work 15.JPG
    Body Work 15.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Body Work 16.JPG
    Body Work 16.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
It's painted and back together! I'm pretty happy. Every exterior light has been replaced down to tag lights. Next, will be some inside improvements like a head unit with back up camera and car play.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Rear Angle.JPG
    Rear Angle.JPG
    498.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Rear Quarter.JPG
    Rear Quarter.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Side Closeup.JPG
    Side Closeup.JPG