New to Forum. Fixing up my '03 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
2003 4WD 5.3L Tahoe w barn doors bought in '08 with 50K miles (153K now). Located in Stuart FL. Nearly trouble free and rides great. Can't part with it so fixing it up. I do most all my own work. Just repainted the pusher bar and had a new headliner installed. I installed a dashboard cap a couple of years ago. It's time for new paint. The top and hood look bad. Have $6K estimate from a shop that I've used before with me removing trim, bumpers, roof rack etc. $4k estimate from Maaco (their best paint option) with them taping off most stuff. Deciding between the options. 2 paint shops said they wouldn't do it or it would be $10K+. Advice?

Looking on this forum about removing badges & trim and need to decide about re-installing or not.

I haven't researched yet, but heard that removing the plastic louvered quarter panel trim on the back corners is risky because they break.

Thanks for all of your posts that I've been researching. I look forward to sharing progress pics.

IMG_3993.JPGIMG_3992.JPGIMG_3988.JPGIMG_3990.JPG

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and love the barn door rigs. The rear corner louvers can be removed pretty easily and look even better if you get the solid painted ones from an Escalade, like on my 05. They really are not hard to remove and install.

View attachment 357551

View attachment 357552

They are called (D-pillar) appliques; remove them while it's nice and warm out, maybe after they've been sitting in the sun for a while. Working on plastic in the cold is not a good idea.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

@MO VietVet has already chimed in, and he is an expert on these barn door trucks, and he will be a great resource to you, as you work on your truck.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

I can recommend a body shop but it is in Pompano Beach about 70 miles from your location.

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Update - I decided on the good paint job at $6K with me removing bumpers, roof rack and all trim. It goes in the shop on Jan 3rd. I'll post updates of the prep work and after the paint, of course.

Thanks for the input from all.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s super cheap for a complete paint job. Did you check on any references to see what kind of quality to expect? $10-12k is what I was looking at here from a decent shop for my Silverado, with me removing everything.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 4WD 5.3L Tahoe w barn doors bought in '08 with 50K miles (153K now). Located in Stuart FL. Nearly trouble free and rides great. Can't part with it so fixing it up.
Welcome to the forum neighbor! I had Wallace Chevrolet paint my new bumper cover for me earlier this year, they were about the same price as everyone else with less wait time. Turned out great too. There are shops in Port Saint Lucie and Fort Pierce that do good work as well.

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
That’s super cheap for a complete paint job. Did you check on any references to see what kind of quality to expect? $10-12k is what I was looking at here from a decent shop for my Silverado, with me removing everything.
Thanks for the feedback. I am familiar with the paint shop. I have used them twice in the past. Once when garage cabinets fell off the wall onto my restored BMW 325 and again when my son's Corolla was hit in an accident. I was happy with both jobs and their customer service. I agree it seems low, but we went over the entire truck together and agreed on all the dings, dents and rust repair.

I'm removing roof rack, both bumpers, grill, front & rear lights, badges, side trim, door handle trim, d-panel trim, rear lights, and upper brake light (of course lights to be removed after arrival at the shop). Also i hope to coordinate with Safe-Lite to remove the windshield (small crack) at the shop before the paint job and return afterwards to install the new one.

Similar to what you found, 3 shops did not even bid the job saying it would be over $10K, Some of them said the biggest issue is it takes too much time (2-3 weeks) and shop space while they can make more $ by doing multiple insurance jobs instead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907