New to Forum. Fixing up my '03 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Badge Removal

I used 20# braided fishing line to cut off the badges (pics). This leaves a lot of adhesive stuck to the paint. With some effort I was able to get the adhesive off with plastic putty knives and Goof Off to get the residue. No paint harm.

Thanks again for all who post on this forum!

Attachments

• Badge Removal 1.JPG
    Badge Removal 1.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Badge Removal 2.JPG
    Badge Removal 2.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Badge Removal 3.JPG
    Badge Removal 3.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Badge Removal 4.JPG
    Badge Removal 4.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 7

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Badge Removal

I used 20# braided fishing line to cut off the badges (pics). This leaves a lot of adhesive stuck to the paint. With some effort I was able to get the adhesive off with plastic putty knives and Goof Off to get the residue. No paint harm.

Thanks again for all who post on this forum!
3M Magic Wheel removes that residue pretty good.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I heard. I ordered one yesterday and it arrives tomorrow. I'm going to leave the rest of the residue on till it get's here. I ordered "3M Stripe Off Wheel". Probably the same.
Yeah that’s it. I might have just been thinking it’s magic because it erases stuff. :lol2:

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Side Trim Removal

Used 40# braided fishing line here because the 20# was breaking too often. The top of the trim follows the curve into the body and the top strand will cut into the trim if you're not careful. I followed the separated trim with a plastic putty knife which gives a little space to keep the line out of the plastic (pic).

Attachments

• Trim Removal 1.JPG
    Trim Removal 1.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Trim Removal 2.JPG
    Trim Removal 2.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Running Board Removal

Left side was easy. Just 6 bolts underneath, 6 more on the inside of the body (pic with yellow arrows) panel, and one up front. The right side has Refrigerant lines for the rear AC that get in the way of the running board brackets. I just loosened the nuts on the refrigerant line mounts (pic with one arrow) and had enough movement to free the brackets.

Attachments

• Refrig Line Mount.jpg
    Refrig Line Mount.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 8
  • BR Brackets Left.jpg
    BR Brackets Left.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 8
  • RB Removed.JPG
    RB Removed.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
They are called (D-pillar) appliques; remove them while it's nice and warm out, maybe after they've been sitting in the sun for a while. Working on plastic in the cold is not a good idea.
Oops! They were very brittle. Oh well, looks like I will have new ones.

Attachments

• D Pillar Trim Piece.JPG
    D Pillar Trim Piece.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Rear Bumper

It's off. No big deal. Had to remove hitch first. Also realized you have to open barn doors to get it high enough to work it off.

Attachments

• Rear Bumper Off.JPG
    Rear Bumper Off.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 4

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Rear Bumper

It's off. No big deal. Had to remove hitch first. Also realized you have to open barn doors to get it high enough to work it off.
I didn't need to remove my hitch 1st on my 03, but I have the rear hatch. I wonder if that's why.IMAG0086.jpgIMAG0087.jpg

OP
OP
TahoeRestore

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
I didn't need to remove my hitch 1st on my 03, but I have the rear hatch. I wonder if that's why.View attachment 359286View attachment 359287
I see now. I first unbolted the hitch from the frame thinking it would come off with the bumper but because the hitch bracket was still under the frame the combo wouldn't lift up. I then took the hitch off at those two bolts in the center. Makes sense. Thanks.