New tire time coming soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hmck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's about time for new tires. We just had our first good winter storm with rain, frozen rain, sleet, hail, snow, and now mud, all of which showed me that I might need to buy them sooner than later. I was leaning toward mild, all terrain tires with the mountain snowflake designation, but some of my reading is indicating that I should stick with all season tires. The Falcon is AWD, and I've read that all terrain tires are not necessarily good for some AWD systems. I have a mile of dirt road in and out of my property every day, and when it's wet, we get something like booger dirt (it gets slick as snot). Beyond that, it's all pavement. We get 20-30 inches of rain per year and 1-4 inches of snow a few times each year. Very infrequently, we get some light icing on the highway. What has been the experiences of the hive? Be gentle, please, my Jedi Search Powers are still developing. Thanks.
I went with Bridgestone Blizzaks. I'm very happy with them.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Grabber ATs in the part, good tire, started to get slick when the tread got low and didnt get as good of mileage out of them as I hoped. I just came off a set of Falken Wildpeak AT/W3s and wow, what a GREAT tire!! had put almost 30K on them and was just over 1/2 tread left still. They had a nice hum to them, and awesome traction in rain and snow. When these goodyears on my current tahoe start to get a tiny bit thin I will be switching back to the Falkens.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Also, additional thanks to those that provided links. I focused on this forum for tire recommendations due to GM using only AWD transfer cases in the Denalis from '07-'14. Didn't GM go back to 2-speed t-cases in the '15+ Yukons, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades? My cousin bought a '17 or '18 Escalade, and it has a 2-speed t-case. It seems as though most of the newest body style vehicles I've seen are 2-speeds. Did GM have issues with the AWD t-cases?

Most of the recommendations for all terrain tires appear to be from those of you with 2-speed t-cases, while the all season recommendations are from a mix of AWD and 2-speed owners. I tend to lean towards all terrain tires because most of the vehicles I've owned have been part-time 4WD systems, but the Falcon is my first AWD system, and every AWD vehicle I've seen has all season tires on it.

From everything I've read so far, I think I might be leaning towards the Michelin Defender. I've used Michelin before and had very good performance and wear from them. Thanks, again, everyone!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Also, additional thanks to those that provided links. I focused on this forum for tire recommendations due to GM using only AWD transfer cases in the Denalis from '07-'14. Didn't GM go back to 2-speed t-cases in the '15+ Yukons, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades? My cousin bought a '17 or '18 Escalade, and it has a 2-speed t-case. It seems as though most of the newest body style vehicles I've seen are 2-speeds. Did GM have issues with the AWD t-cases?

Most of the recommendations for all terrain tires appear to be from those of you with 2-speed t-cases, while the all season recommendations are from a mix of AWD and 2-speed owners. I tend to lean towards all terrain tires because most of the vehicles I've owned have been part-time 4WD systems, but the Falcon is my first AWD system, and every AWD vehicle I've seen has all season tires on it.

From everything I've read so far, I think I might be leaning towards the Michelin Defender. I've used Michelin before and had very good performance and wear from them. Thanks, again, everyone!

I don't believe that you will go wrong with the Defenders.

Good luck!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From everything I've read so far, I think I might be leaning towards the Michelin Defender. I've used Michelin before and had very good performance and wear from them.

I don't believe that you will go wrong with the Defenders.

Good luck!

I agree with Joseph. I have always run Bridgestone Dueller Alenza H/L's and have had very good luck from traction and wear (averaged 85K+ for mileage and drive on Iowa winter roads), but that being said, based on overall consensus on here, the Michelin Defender is a solid choice as well.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the General X3 Red?
Look good, but wont do MTs again - way too loud. The defenders are the smart, albiet boring choice. 2 years on my 2013 had barely any wear. I like the ridge grapplers look, and thy get good reviews, but I do way more highway than dirt. The contis seem to fit the bill and look a bit more aggressive...f063fed923e5b86e27e1cd9b8f9f85d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I had the Grabber ATs in the part, good tire, started to get slick when the tread got low and didnt get as good of mileage out of them as I hoped. I just came off a set of Falken Wildpeak AT/W3s and wow, what a GREAT tire!! had put almost 30K on them and was just over 1/2 tread left still. They had a nice hum to them, and awesome traction in rain and snow. When these goodyears on my current tahoe start to get a tiny bit thin I will be switching back to the Falkens.

I'm assuming AT2s. Hopefully the ATX does better now that it's a silica compound. We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos