New Tire Suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oh four Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 04 Tahoe AWD bone stock. It’s time for some new tires and I’m thinking about going with AT to give it a little bit of a more aggressive look (nothing crazy). Mainly used on streets as a daily driver but would love to have something good for light snow and some dirt roads while camping (don’t do either very much but would like to start) also don’t want noisy or rough ride tires. Not sure if this exist and don’t know much about tires but any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFGoodrich KO2s. You can get the Load Range C variety if some sizes to save on weight. They cost me about 2 mpg at highway speeds, didn't affect the city mileage much, if at all.

They are pretty quiet when new and get louder as they age or if they begin to wear improperly due to a suspension/steering issue.

I have since switched to Michelin Defenders. If I want a mild AT tire next time around, I'll probably try the BFGoodrich Trail-Terrains. KO2s look awesome but were way overkill for my needs. The Defenders have run through most of the same stuff and not gotten stuck yet!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a set of Cooper AT3 4S. 265/70 R17 on 2010 Tahoe rims.

They really ride great! Very happy with these.

Great job at smoothing out the bumps and rough pavement we have here in New England. Even crossing RR tracks, the tires really soak up the bumps.

We have not had much snow this year, but they are rated with the Severe weather mountain peaks thingy. In the slush and ice, I have to say they are very grippy. Great confidence on wet pavement and sloppy road conditions.

Ride on the road and at highway speeds is smooth and very quiet for AT tires. They are also supposed to be 65k mile tires.

I went white letters out, because I like the old-school SUV AT look.

SUPER HAPPY!!!
20230114_092139.jpg

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want something budget friendly, we picked up some Bridgestone tires for our Suburban and Sierra. They are highly rated for wet driving, and okay or one step up for snow/ice/mud. I'll try to get a picture when the Suburban comes back tonight.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had multiple sets of Falken AT3Ws. Was an early adopter when they came onto market when they were cheaper. "Only" got 55k out of the first set due to a very bad alignment around 50k (Pioneer Chevy, Abingdon VA... steer clear). Haven't worn another set out. Sold one set that had a lot of tread left at roughly 40-45k miles. Still have one set with less than 10k.

Theh're priced similarly to the BFG now, but I think they're a better tire. Stay quieter in my experience. And they perform in everything I've thrown at them. Deep snow, mud, extreme rain.

Can't say enough about them. Despite them becoming a "top shelf" tire, still my go-to AT.

OP
OP
O

Oh four Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking at the bf Goodrich trail terrains as an option and that’s what I am leaning towards. Went into a shop today just to look and asked questions about tires in general as I don’t know much about them. I was told the trail retains would be a great pick for my needs and a few workers suggested I think about toyo tires open country AT which I think look super cool just not sure if it’s too much for my needs. Both came it at basically the same price. So still not sure what to choose

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run Bridgestone dueler AT tires (2 sets) and had great success and tread life. I'm currently running Nitto Terra grappler G2 tires and they really work well in all conditions. Not any noisier than am average AT tire and he tread life has been decent so far.

Also something to consider if you are on a budget. The jeep wranglers come with 5 rims and usually Bridgestone dueler AT tires. I've bought 2 sets over the years of next to new take-offs when a guy needs different wheels and tires for mall crawling. Check FB or Craigslist and I bet you can find a set of 255/70/18 tires for about $100 per tire and wheel. Then sell the wheels cheap and offset your cost.

OP
OP
O

Oh four Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've run Bridgestone dueler AT tires (2 sets) and had great success and tread life. I'm currently running Nitto Terra grappler G2 tires and they really work well in all conditions. Not any noisier than am average AT tire and he tread life has been decent so far.

Also something to consider if you are on a budget. The jeep wranglers come with 5 rims and usually Bridgestone dueler AT tires. I've bought 2 sets over the years of next to new take-offs when a guy needs different wheels and tires for mall crawling. Check FB or Craigslist and I bet you can find a set of 255/70/18 tires for about $100 per tire and wheel. Then sell the wheels cheap and offset your cost.
That’s a great idea. I will take a look and see if I have any luck finding something like that!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts