New speakers - have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this is my current thinking:

Replace the factory subwoofer with a Sound Ordinance B-8PDT all in one, bite the bullet and run a power line.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html

Bonuses are that if I use the speaker level connector, I don't need to run signal wires OR a remote, it will handle the power on/off from signal, so all I have to do is run a power line for the battery and find a good ground. Oh, and it has a remote adjust knob.

How's that seem for a plan? Oh, and where is a good place for a chassis ground in the back of the vehicle that's accessable?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at replacing my sub. Now I was very skeptical on spending very much money on any 8 inch sub. I mean really how much could those actually put out. Well I looked and looked and I ended up making my decision with a planet audio ac8d. These are rated for 1200 watts they are dual voice coil and are a direct fit in the stock box. Only thing you need to do is get 4 longer screws. I already have an amp running all my door speakers so adding a 1000 watt amp for the sub took like 10 mins. My first impression of it was wtf. How could an 8 inch sub sound so good. And I mean all types of music it was perfect thos is probably the best performing sub I have ever bought. I got it off Amazon for 32 dollars so its definitely the best bang for the buck. Just wanted to throw that out there before you made your decision

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ultimately went with an underseat solution, at least for the moment. Since the Sound Ordinance device was out of stock, I went out on my own and purchased a Rockville SS8P with an included install kit from Amazon for all of $91 - I figured I didn't need much, really, and the fact that it came in a diecast aluminum enclosure to sink heat from the amp impressed me.

(Stupid Tapatalk, I wasn't done yet!)

Didn't take much to install. Took the opportunity to yank the center console to route the wiring underneath, slit the carpet and ran it and the remote control wire the length of the trans tunnel and mounted it in centered under the second row seat. Pictured will follow once I clean up my installation. Note that in this location there are lots of ground possibilities but to get the vehicle back to working order as I was called into work, the jack handle storage lug worked just fine. Dropped the ring terminal on there and screwed the bracket fast. Quick and dirty but it works for the time being.

It sounds great, actually, unless you're looking to set off car alarms and shake the window glass, it's not gonna do that; and I listen mostly to oddball music without a ton of bass. I did push some EDM through it (Gunship), sounds awesome. A friend tried something beyond my usual, 90s hip hop, and it's okay, but the really low stuff doesn't come through at all. Maybe I don't have it set properly.

The cables included in the kit are actually stunningly nice, nice flexible soft jackets, abrasion resistant, thick. It was a nice touch that they included RCA and speaker cable as well. Much better than I expected given the price. The sub itself must weigh close to 20lbs. The install instructions are a horrendous mess of Engrish, though. Glad I knew what I needed to do beforehand.

If you made it this far, what on Earth do I do with this remote knob? I can't think of a good place to mount the thing on the dash. It's just laying under my power outlets at the moment. Open to suggestions.

Thanks again everyone for all the help - seriously nice to have music again, especially driving 5-600 miles a week!

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at replacing my sub. Now I was very skeptical on spending very much money on any 8 inch sub. I mean really how much could those actually put out. Well I looked and looked and I ended up making my decision with a planet audio ac8d. These are rated for 1200 watts they are dual voice coil and are a direct fit in the stock box. Only thing you need to do is get 4 longer screws. I already have an amp running all my door speakers so adding a 1000 watt amp for the sub took like 10 mins. My first impression of it was wtf. How could an 8 inch sub sound so good. And I mean all types of music it was perfect thos is probably the best performing sub I have ever bought. I got it off Amazon for 32 dollars so its definitely the best bang for the buck. Just wanted to throw that out there before you made your decision
That’s awesome! That’s the exact sub I bought, and plan to put in a stock enclosure, if I ever get off my butt and do it.

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You def won't regret it. Put an amp on that is about 1000 watts and has low and high x over capability it sounds great
That’s awesome! That’s the exact sub I bought, and plan to put in a stock enclosure, if I ever get off my butt and do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269