New speakers - have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I simply can't stand this anymore. The only thing that gave me pause when picking up my 01 Yukon was the fact that save the tweeters, every friggin speaker in the truck is blown, and not by a little. It's a non Bose system with a rear 8" sub, and speakers on the C pillars. Pillar speakers work, front door dome tweets work. The rest is toast. I can listen to spoken word stuff, but the high end is good for a blinding headache, and since the rear sub is shot so badly that it sounds like someone beating on a plastic trash can with a mallet it's just out of the question. I drive a lot. Music is important.

As I've mentioned, since this is a "work" vehicle my wife and I are having some budget..... disagreements. I smuggled in 4 Sony XS-R1346 5.25" 4 way speakers to do the doors (don't judge, I know they're crap, but anything has to be better than the ones in the truck now that don't work). The door panels are sure easy to get off, I'll give them that - but just glancing, those handy snap in brackets look a lot easier than shooting holes in my door. Anyone know if I can reuse them? Couldn't find a definite answer.

Next, I intend to smuggle a really, REALLY cheap DUAL brand (Walmart) 12" subwoofer and an enclosure, as cargo space isn't really a concern, and if I do it right I can just yank the box out if I have to and reclaim the space temporarily. No amp, just a box and a crappy sub. Anyone try this? I believe the sub is advertised at THREE HUNDRED WATTS but I didn't see a root mean square value on it. Even if the amp halfway drives it I'll be happy. Advice is welcome.

Oh, and I waxed it. Center caps for the wheels are coming. She still cleans up pretty nice!14ddc186c0ef92524cda35082a1359c4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do any walmart subs cut thier rated power down and drive them with that. if it says 300 just go with 200. also keeping an eye on crutchfield.com will be a benefit for you and your budget. they are always have good sales not 5 bucks off crap but real sales. they also have a list of refurbished stuff thats still good quality and they back it. plus you can input your specific truck and it will give you options that actually fit. they also have great free support even before you buy anything.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hope is that by spending another ~$50 now for a cheapo sub and enclosure, I can run the wires out the jack storage door so I can fix it correctly later AND not be divorced :)

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i definitely know where your coming from. your doing it because something needs to get done. i never leave vehicles alone just because i enjoy it. ive been allowed to mess with our 97 so far just as long as i have a convincing story to go along with it. now ive also got a 00 civic im playing with lol. start coming home and acting grumpy. after a few days when it actually starts bothering her go with a story about your ride home should be more relaxing and having speakers will help.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question - is this speaker okay, still? [emoji23]

New Sony's are in. I can now listen to music! That sub still needs addressed but one task at a time. Thanks for the advice, gang!

Happy father's day, if it applies to you as well!4e92e7ef70328b9f22ef6db5c489b7c3.jpg

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
One more question - is this speaker okay, still? [emoji23]

New Sony's are in. I can now listen to music! That sub still needs addressed but one task at a time. Thanks for the advice, gang!

Happy father's day, if it applies to you as well!4e92e7ef70328b9f22ef6db5c489b7c3.jpg

That speaker is NOT okay. It is ready for the trash.

For your sub.. you have some options.
- You can replace that existing 8" sub with a new 8" sub just like you replaced the door speakers.

- You indicated 'No amp, just a box and a crappy sub.'
That box and sub will need some kind of amp to drive it so you will need an amp.

- Or you can go with a powered sub setup (sub and box with builtin amp). Something like Dual TBX10A 10 inch powered (crappy) sub if you are really on a low budget. What ever you get first check out how it sounds to see if its worth the price.

I found lots of audio/video help and recommendations on this forum and members willing to assist.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By continuing to read this post, you acknowledge that I take no responsibility for your relationship.

Heres how you can hide it:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/subwoofer-options-without-losing-cargo-space-swb.107846/

You will NEED an amp for your subwoofer. Don't bother installing one if you're not adding an amp. You can buy powered subs that would be incredibly easy to remove if you needed to, or just keep under the seat.

Personally, if budget was real tight, I would see what my options were on craigslist or offerup before I bought something I already knew was going to cheap crap. Especially when you have all that cargo room you don't care about losing. Your options are endless, but if you have to buy something new its going to be a lot, relative to what it sounds like your budget is.

I would have told you to hold off on the speakers a little longer. 100% expect EVERY audio shop/store/company/website to have some great deals for 4th of July, (they always do).

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I hear you - amp. My statement was based around the assumption that the 8" sub already connected is being powered by something other than the head unit - am I wrong there, because that changes the calculus of the thing.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I hear you - amp. My statement was based around the assumption that the 8" sub already connected is being powered by something other than the head unit - am I wrong there, because that changes the calculus of the thing.

There is an amp, its to the right of the sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic