New noise from a new place...WTF is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Ok, I'll see if I can describe this.

In the back of my truck, directly opposite of where the jack is, there's a "hollow" area in the plastic on the passenger side. it looks like it might have a speaker in it, but other than that it just seems like space. it's just in front of the rear power port. If I bonk the plastic, there is no resistance and it just sounds hollow, so I always assumed there was nothing there, like a reserved space for a subwoofer or something.

Anyway. There's SOMETHING in there. It makes a repetitive noise that almost sounds like a duck quietly quacking. I can't figure out what the hell it could be. I thought maybe it was part of the ventilation system back there, so I shut everything off and it kept doing it. It sounds like a weak motor trying to drive something over and over. Very bizarre.

Anyone got any ideas on what is in there?

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
that I am aware of, it is where the rear A/C components are. Don't hold me to it, but pretty sure I remember there being A/C components inside there when I had my accident and they had to pull rear panel. Guessing it's the A/C stuff you are hearing.

I know the driver side usually holds a speaker

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have rear heat/AC? There are blend door actuators in there that can go bad and make a racket. Some sound like a constant ticking, some knock, and apparently, some quack. There is one door to control upper/lower and one to control the temperature (if you have rear heat). If you just have rear AC, I don't think there are any actuators.

See if your rear heat blows cold when set to hot or vice versa. Also check to see if it blows out of the top vents when set to floor (or vice versa).

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it be an actual duck?

That's all I got.
picture.php

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP, did you possibly just get Aflac?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of a trunk monkey, Scott has a truck duck!! hahaha

JK, my guess is that it's either the actuators like mentioned or also the fan itself for the rear air!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Could it be an actual duck?

That's all I got.
picture.php

OP, did you possibly just get Aflac?

Instead of a trunk monkey, Scott has a truck duck!! hahaha

JK, my guess is that it's either the actuators like mentioned or also the fan itself for the rear air!

Truckducken?

LMAO

You guys are super helpful....lol. I'll check for an actual duck just to make sure.

I need to spend some time tearing it apart and see what's actually going on in there. I have rear heat and A/C, so if that's where it's located I'm sure that's the culprit.

Thanks for the laugh, guys. Been a rough day so far, so that was good timing. :)

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Only getting hot air in back. Now what?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was me (I don't know anything about AC repair) I'd take it to a shop and get your rear AC compressor checked out by a shop.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was me (I don't know anything about AC repair) I'd take it to a shop and get your rear AC compressor checked out by a shop.

That's what I'd do ... I'd also get some Peking sauce just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo