It can be done......a road trip experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go MacGyver!!

Unusual for a U-joint to show signs of imminent failure so rapidly, but you got it done and saved your trip.
I'm gonna go with probably a little dry and didn't catch it on inspection, and after 1200 miles of loaded use it gave up the ghost. Funny thing is 2 of the 4 bearing cups were just fine. I think the issue is the stupid grease zerk in 1 bearing cap, not in the center axis like they used to be. Probably didn't get grease to the right areas even though it was greased. I'm going to pay better attention to this new one and feed it grease more frequently.

Alll is well! Back home on the new one now, problem free!

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo your rear tires look like the next thing keep an eye on that haha
Good catch. That's what I like about the forum.... all the little anomalies people find.

Yes, they are the summer shoes.....I put them on for this trip and took off the good winter treads. I'm contemplating ditching the 22 inch wheels for 18 or 20 inch wheels for a better overall ride. So.......those tires are going to get worn to the bottom before anything else takes their place. They aren't to the wear bars.......yet

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, on a family trip to New Orleans......

The day of, I went over the Yukon. Tires, fluids, quick detail, etc. All checked out good. Hit the road and headed south. The Yukon is running well, returning almost 21 mpg at 75 - 85 mph. I'll take it!

Fast forward to the last leg of the trip and we stopped in a small town in LA. Pull away from a stop sign and it sounded like a flock of birds making noise under my truck. Hmmmm... Quick inspection shows nothing. Get to New Orleans and in slow traffic I hear the tell-tale sound of a dry u-joint. Had my daughter move forward and backwards at our destination and it is indeed the rear u-joint. (Crappy Moog part apparently, replaced about 2 years ago....)

The next day, after a sleepless night of brain running through options, and I head to the nearest Autozone with my buddy who was traveling with his family as well. "No working on vehicles in the parking lot" signage is what I'm met with. So......like any good person in a pinch, I parked in the back parking lot where there were no signs. LOL. So I suited up in coveralls and flip flops and went to work.

I needed a vice, which I don't carry. I had 1 4x4 with me. God provided (2) 1x4 boards right next to the dumpster (I don't believe in coincidence, just Devine help when needed). So, with the tools in my Murphy Kit, 3 boards, and a hammer I changed it out in the parking lot with the help of my friend.

Now it's as loose, and flexible, as a $2 ******. The old one was so tight it couldn't be moved by hand, and all the needles bearings fell out when the caps were removed (some broken in half). I was pretty close to a VERY bad experience on the side of the road, 1000 miles from home.

So, it pays to have some basics with you on a trip, and some ingenuity goes a long way. Thankfully it all worked out and we can continue on. WHEW!!!

Should have just driven over or called Chris, he's in Baton Rouge! @iamdub

I bet the replacement was a 1410 and the original is a 1415 series, there is a difference. AAM or Spicer or GM OE for the win!

Actually, I was in NO/Metairie/Kenner all last weekend! My bestie from the midwestie (Indiana, recently moved from Kenner) came down for an Irish-Italian gala Friday night to which I accompanied her and her friend/ex-coworker (now her and I are "friends" :D). We meandered through NO on Saturday and went to the Irish-Italian parade in Metairie that Sunday. We stayed at her friend's apartment in Covington until Monday night. It's why I haven't been on the forum much lately!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts