Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigjimmy

Reaction score
2008 Denali
After much confusion and changing pulleys/belts/water pump it seems the noise I have is transmission related.A bit of a wail on startup and it flares a bit on acceleration into 2nd gear and again a bit on downshifts but is silent when she warms up.Still drives perfectly.
I am in Scotland and a 6.2 Denali is like a unicorn over here so forget rebuilding the trans it’ll cost way more than it’s worth even if I could find somebod.
Shes also got rust issues that will condemn her in a year or 2 so can anyone recommend a transmission fluid additive to nurse her on for a little while longer?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2008 Denali
After much confusion and changing pulleys/belts/water pump it seems the noise I have is transmission related.A bit of a wail on startup and it flares a bit on acceleration into 2nd gear and again a bit on downshifts but is silent when she warms up.Still drives perfectly.
I am in Scotland and a 6.2 Denali is like a unicorn over here so forget rebuilding the trans it’ll cost way more than it’s worth even if I could find somebod.
Shes also got rust issues that will condemn her in a year or 2 so can anyone recommend a transmission fluid additive to nurse her on for a little while longer?
The 6L80 is, as far as I know, a licensed build of a ZF design, so quite similar to the transmissions used in many luxury rear-drive European cars. A good local transmission shop should still be able to rebuild it for you if it fails. These trucks still have agrarian roots in their design, which is one of the reasons they're so loved in middle America; almost anyone can wrench on them because they're a relatively uncomplicated design.

All of that said though, it may not be worth it due to the rust, of course. The only transmission additive I've seen much good written about, is LubeGard:

OP
OP
Bigjimmy

Bigjimmy

Reaction score
Thank you for trying to help,problem is I live in a small country where over 80% of cars are still stick shifts as you guys would say.
There is just no need or demand for auto trans mechanics here.
Ive had a place in England recommended to me but it’s 350 miles away and won’t be cheap

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you for trying to help,problem is I live in a small country where over 80% of cars are still stick shifts as you guys would say.
There is just no need or demand for auto trans mechanics here.
Ive had a place in England recommended to me but it’s 350 miles away and won’t be cheap
Find a manual transmission large GM SUV and drive off in to the sunset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019