New Here - Tires + Brakes 2016 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders.

There was a thread that was circulating within the last month or two with the same question as you posted for tire preferences. Perhaps, someone on this Forum can post a link, so that you can read all of their comments.

There were a number of opinions and perspectives, but as I remember, there was concurrence on Michelin Defenders from folks who drove their trucks mainly on paved roads, versus off-road driving.

@Joseph Garcia, we need to make a sticky I think.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tire-choices.114296/#post-1374205

OP
OP
DenaliMan16

DenaliMan16

Reaction score
Michelin Defenders.

There was a thread that was circulating within the last month or two with the same question as you posted for tire preferences. Perhaps, someone on this Forum can post a link, so that you can read all of their comments.

There were a number of opinions and perspectives, but as I remember, there was concurrence on Michelin Defenders from folks who drove their trucks mainly on paved roads, versus off-road driving.

Thanks man

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use nothing but Michelin Defender LTX. The Premier LTX is not a good tire for a full size, it's too soft (you'll be lucky to get 30k miles out of them). For brakes, use only the OEM pads. Aftermarket pads usually don't last as long and don't bite the same.

BruceB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys.

New here. Enjoyed reading some of your posts. Hoping some of you can give me recommendations. I just hit the 40k mark on my 2016 Denali.

Running Bridgestone Alenzas now..tread is down to almost nothing so I’m looking to replace them within the week and before winter really settles in here in NJ.

Dealership quoted me around $800 (that’s with the $100 rebate) for new Bridgestones ... are there better options for roughly the same price? I hear good things about Michelin Defenders and Premeir LTX which seem slightly more expensive. But I’ve also heard good things about Pirellis. Any experience with either or do you have any other tires you stand by ? All Season

BrakePads + Rotors. Dealership quoted me $427 front / $427 rears. Yikes ! So I’m thinking of getting the parts myself and doing the job. Should I be looking at OEM or aftermarket ? What we be a good combo for around $350 all in ? Would love to do a big brake kit but not in the budget right now but would love anything that’s a slight upgrade over stock.

Thanks guys !
I have a 2015 Yukon Denali. Replaced Continentals at 45k with Michelin Defenders and again last week with 115k on the odometer, with 70k on them they still had acceptable tread but not for Vermont winter driving. Replaced all pads and rotors at 75k with Duralast Gold products.

Reaction score
Michelin's are the way to go, My local Costco has $150 off on a set of 4, so that's a decent deal considering they cost $200+
On Rotors and Brakes I installed Akebono brake pads all around and stoptech(centric) cryo treated rotors total parts was about 450 plus my own labor. but 50K miles later very good stopping power and wayyyyy less brake-dust on my 22' inch chrome wheels

Last edited:

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use nothing but Michelin Defender LTX. The Premier LTX is not a good tire for a full size, it's too soft (you'll be lucky to get 30k miles out of them). For brakes, use only the OEM pads. Aftermarket pads usually don't last as long and don't bite the same.
The standard factory brakes are horrible. On my old 2016 Denali I only got 16,000 miles out of the first set of front pads and rotors. By the time I got rid of it at 36,000 miles it needed another set (and the second set had the "heavy duty" GM pads.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you have something wrong with your brakes, live on a high corrosion area, or drive like a maniac. I’ve never seen factory brakes last only 16k miles.

Lalo

Reaction score
I am at 45K miles replaced pads and rotors with Rock auto Powerstop Z36 carbon/ceramic pads and zinc coated drilled and slotted matching rotors , about $400 in parts stop Great will have to chime back in a few months for long term test.... I also installed Michelin Premier LTX tires from Costco , I like the tires but have had to replace my right rear tire 3 times , 2 large bolts and one time was my fault , the Chicago streets are tough luckily the first 2 times Costco didn't charge me a dime , on the last one I only had to pay $ 40 .....

MVR 155

Reaction score
I am at 45K miles replaced pads and rotors with Rock auto Powerstop Z36 carbon/ceramic pads and zinc coated drilled and slotted matching rotors , about $400 in parts stop Great will have to chime back in a few months for long term test.... I also installed Michelin Premier LTX tires from Costco , I like the tires but have had to replace my right rear tire 3 times , 2 large bolts and one time was my fault , the Chicago streets are tough luckily the first 2 times Costco didn't charge me a dime , on the last one I only had to pay $ 40 .....

My 2015 Denali was making noise from the rear brakes like one of the wear indicators was making contact with the rotor. I could see the outside pads through the wheel and they still had at least 50% of material left on them. Knowing that sometimes the inside/outside pads can wear differently from a caliper becoming stuck, I pulled both rear wheels to inspect. I found one of the hardware components (that retains the pad) to be bent and making contact with the rotor. I easily straightened the part, cleaned/lubed the calipers and re-installed.

I had researched the Powerstop Z36 pads for replacement with the Powerstop rotors (non drilled/slotted) in case I needed replacement. My reason for going straight to Powerstop is that I purchased a brand new Audi S6 back in February this year. The factory pads produce what is beyond a ridiculous amount of dust and are prone to squealing in freezing or below temps. I had a 2013 Audi S4 that I purchased new (traded for the new S6) and I replaced the brakes on that car early as well for the same reasons. While wanting to retain factory brake performance and initial bite but with much less dust, I was recommended the Powerstop Z26 pads through the Audi forums. The Powerstop pads deliver on every level...... hardly any dust, great bite/modulation (even from triple digit stops) and zero noise.

I would not hesitate to recommend their products to anyone looking for replacement options. I have also used their brake parts on other vehicles with positive results.

As far as tires......... Another solid vote for the Defender LTX. I drove my Denali through the first winter (which was mild with little snow) after buying it new 10/1/2015 and was very unhappy with the Bridgestones (factory 22" wheels). I purchased new Defender LTX tires before the next winter of 2016 and it was a night/day difference on all levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo