Tire choices

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by greenhornet, Sep 13, 2019.

1. greenhornet

greenhornet Full Access Member

Name:
    Jack
    My 2015 Tahoe LS has Goodyear Assurance tires .Any opinions of this tire. I am considering Michelin tires in the spring.

Miami-Dade likes this.
  2. 08HoeCD

08HoeCD "Prolly" is not a real word

Name:
    DJ
    You're planning now for tires you'll buy next spring?

You'll get lots of recommendations, but most will be for Michelins, and most of those will be for Defenders.

Miami-Dade likes this.
  3. wjburken

wjburken Full Access Member

Name:
    Wade
    Asking about tires here is like asking about oil. Everyone has their favorite.

If I had to guess based on the various posts I have read on this forum, 75% of the folks will say Michelin, 20% will say Bridgestone and the rest will be all over the place.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Michelin or Bridgestone. I have had very good luck with Bridgestone Duelers on my Yukon's but I also know a lot of people are very happy with Michelin.

Miami-Dade and Smiley3303 like this.
  4. Smiley3303

Smiley3303 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Smiley
    I wanted to get the Michelin’s but they are so much money. I ended up doing the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. They are so cheap and honestly ride nice and provide good traction so far. I believe I paid around $100 a tire from discount tire plus there was a rebate too. They are not cool looking but honestly have been impressed so far. I have about 20,000 miles on them so far and of course I have AWD being a Denali.

As others said there are so many opinions on this subject hard to decide.

5. greenhornet

greenhornet Full Access Member

Name:
    Jack
    Yes I realize it is hard to recommend but just curious about the factory Goodyears.I have always used Michelins since 1970.As for the time of year it is soon time for my snow tires so new summers now not worth it.Snows are Nokian Hakkapeliittas .I would say the best pure winter tire.265/70-17 for strictly winter driving,they do not like it over 7 deg.C,soft rubber.

6. Miami-Dade

Miami-Dade Staff Member Super Moderator Supporting Member

Name:
    Gary
    I vote for the Michelin Defender. I have used Goodyear,Continental and other brands and nothing beats the Michelin Defender. The Continental's were the worst.

All that IMHO. To each their own.

7. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia Full Access Member

Name:
    Joseph
    Like the folks have said, Michelin tires are often recommended. I have the Michelin Defenders, and I really like them. Pricey for sure, but the expected mileage life (70,000) is very long.

However, your intended use of the truck regarding the road/off-road surfaces that you plan on driving the truck upon should also factor into your eventual decision. If you provide additional information on where and how you use your truck from the standpoint of road/off-road surfaces, you should get more targeted recommendations from the folks on this Forum.

Good luck on your eventual decision and tire selection.

rzabel likes this.
  8. zbad55

zbad55 Member

Name:
    Carl
    Well here in MI I run summer tires/wheels and then have the stock set for winter months. Now for my summer tires I run Nitto's 420's and they are a great looking tire and ride great. Now if your looking for a year round tire I see most people opt for the Michelin.

9. Dearmosd

Dearmosd Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    +1 for defenders. Just got a set and night and day difference in all categories over the stock Bridgestone.

10. Rdr854

Rdr854 Full Access Member

Name:
    Richard
    My 16 Suburban had the Goodyear tire as OEM installed and it was more than adequate. My 17 and 19 Suburbans came with Michelin tires and so far so good.