New guy with a 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that the spark plugs and wires, upstream O2 sensors, and all filters have been replaced, transmission has been dealt with, and MAF and throttle body cleaned, I can open up the AutoCal V3 from Black Bear Performance. I want to get a tune in my Escalade for better drivability and for transmission durability.

2021-11-03 003.JPG
A lot of money...but worth it.

2021-11-03 006.JPG
Reading the stock tune for the engine.

2021-11-03 007.JPG
Reading the stock tune for the transmission.

Tonight, I will be datalogging on the way to work.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every timing chain ive ever changed has looked looser than the 200k+mile chain it replaced
only time I ever had a problem was when they made the timing gear with a plastic or fiberglass type coating (1980's) the plastic would wear down and the chain would slip

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only time I ever had a problem was when they made the timing gear with a plastic or fiberglass type coating (1980's) the plastic would wear down and the chain would slip
Yes. Usually just after the warranty expired. Glad they don't do that any more. Now they just use plastic timing chain guides that break off and end up either in the oil pan or jammed between the timing chain and the block.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 354439
Receiver plug doesn't look too bad to me.

-had two new keys and two new remotes programmed. This Escalade only came with one remote when I bought it. I like having spares. This is the first vehicle I have had that the remotes are NOT user programmable. I had to have the locksmith to it.

View attachment 354440
Original remote and crested key that came with the Escalade at left, new aftermarket remote and generic key in the middle, and new GM remote with crested key at the right.

View attachment 354441
Original crested remote at left, aftermarket remote in middle, and GM crested remote at right. I am a schmuck, because I wanted a new crested remote and key to use daily.

-However, my TECH 2 arrived!!! No more dealer resets/relearns for me. :D

View attachment 354442
New clone Tech 2 from chinacardiags.com.

Note: I found a Tech 2 User's Guide on the internet that was VERY helpful to me in setting up this Tech 2 and doing the initial test. I had issues understanding the included CD's.

http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/pdf/tech2_users_guide.pdf
I'm assuming thats the $369 one? Is that all you have to buy? I see modules listed and what not. I've been wanting one of these for a while and it appears I'll be needing one to do the trans adaptives on my dads truck when we do the zip kit...or can those be done in Hp tuners?

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Datalogged with the AutoCal V3 on the way to work. I started recording, did a cold start, then drove to work.

FB02AA2D-8344-4FF3-9D23-CB785C4D4F95.jpeg
Start of datalogging, before cold start.

9A97C7CE-33CC-41F6-87C0-D5FA7B7B53E2.jpeg
End of datalogging, idling at work.

E29D0097-53FA-478D-8B1E-5AA7BCBABC91.jpeg
Saved file.

I noticed something…
For the datalogging, I had to run the engine at WOT a couple of times.
Traffic opened up on the highway in a few places, so I put my foot in the water pump.
Man, this thing flies! I daresay it is smoother than my Porsche 928S at 100mph.
However, I ran into some kind of speed limiter at 107mph. I felt the engine power back off and hold steady. The Escalade was still accelerating when the limited kicked in.
I did this two more times and got the same result.

Good to know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every timing chain ive ever changed has looked looser than the 200k+mile chain it replaced
Yikes! Even the new GM chains and sprockets?

I remember those days, and not fondly.

Yes. Usually just after the warranty expired. Glad they don't do that any more. Now they just use plastic timing chain guides that break off and end up either in the oil pan or jammed between the timing chain and the block.
I have been lucky enough not to have dealt with that yet.

I'm assuming thats the $369 one? Is that all you have to buy? I see modules listed and what not. I've been wanting one of these for a while and it appears I'll be needing one to do the trans adaptives on my dads truck when we do the zip kit...or can those be done in Hp tuners?
Yes, I paid something like $347.00 to chinacardiags.com. It is an all in one kit. I has everything I need to talk to my Escalade. And, it looks like I can talk to anything GM from 1992(3) OBD-1 to 2014 OBD-II with the GM PCMCIA card. It includes adapters for different makes such as SAAB, Isuzu, Opel, but you need different PCMCIA cards.

I am very happy with it, and believe it is well worth the money.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Even the new GM chains and sprockets?

I remember those days, and not fondly.

I have been lucky enough not to have dealt with that yet.

Yes, I paid something like $347.00 to chinacardiags.com. It is an all in one kit. I has everything I need to talk to my Escalade. And, it looks like I can talk to anything GM from 1992(3) OBD-1 to 2014 OBD-II with the GM PCMCIA card. It includes adapters for different makes such as SAAB, Isuzu, Opel, but you need different PCMCIA cards.

I am very happy with it, and believe it is well worth the money.
you may find the tech2 sometimes doesn't seem to be working right, in that case just take all the cables and adapters apart and push them back together again nice and tight, even though they have little clips they can get loose from dragging it around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts