New guy with a 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken Doubeleive's recommendation and ordered a clone Tech 2 from chinacardiags.com.
Should be here in 2 weeks.
Which is a screw up on my part. The Sonnax 6L45-6L90-ZIP zip-kit arrived yesterday. In the instructions, it requires relearning the transmission adapts after valve body work. Sooo...I am going to hit up my local trusted independent with a Tech 2 and see if he will do that next Wednesday. I am planning to start the transmission work Monday evening and finish by Tuesday evening.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent progress so far. That thing is clean! With what you're doing, you'll have plenty of carefree miles ahead. Thanks for sharing

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken Doubeleive's recommendation and ordered a clone Tech 2 from chinacardiags.com.
Should be here in 2 weeks.
Which is a screw up on my part. The Sonnax 6L45-6L90-ZIP zip-kit arrived yesterday. In the instructions, it requires relearning the transmission adapts after valve body work. Sooo...I am going to hit up my local trusted independent with a Tech 2 and see if he will do that next Wednesday. I am planning to start the transmission work Monday evening and finish by Tuesday evening.

I’ll be curious to know what you think of that Sonnax kit. I liked their shift performance kit I had in my Trailblazer SS but that was a 4L70 which feels ancient to the way the 6L80 feels.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent progress so far. That thing is clean! With what you're doing, you'll have plenty of carefree miles ahead. Thanks for sharing
Thank you! That is my intent. I plan on driving this rig for 10 years, and keeping up with maintenance is my 'thing.'

I’ll be curious to know what you think of that Sonnax kit. I liked their shift performance kit I had in my Trailblazer SS but that was a 4L70 which feels ancient to the way the 6L80 feels.
I will let you know how it turns out. My intent for the Sonnax kit is longevity and reliability of the transmission. That and the Black Bear tune.

Steedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the TYF, and congrats on your Esky! Very nice. Looks extremely clean. I need to do some of things you've completed in a short period already haha

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will let you know how it turns out. My intent for the Sonnax kit is longevity and reliability of the transmission. That and the Black Bear tune.
If you would be willing to do a write-up on your transmission work, it would be amazing! I'll likely follow suit on both my 2007 and 2012 this winter and it would be so much easier to have the steps laid out.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you would be willing to do a write-up on your transmission work, it would be amazing! I'll likely follow suit on both my 2007 and 2012 this winter and it would be so much easier to have the steps laid out.

I will gladly do so!!! Stay tuned next week.

My intended timeline will be:

Monday morning: get home from work in the morning, put the Escalade up on four ramps, let it cool some. Spray AeroKroil on the down pipe nuts again before I go to bed.
Monday evening: drop the down pipe from the manifolds. Suck out as much fluid from the transmission via the dipstick tube as I can. See if I can drop the pan and have it clear the lowered exhaust. Remove the valve body. Let the transmission drip drain overnight.

Tuesday: Rebuild the TECHM pressure switches, go through the valve body and install what I can from the Sonnax ZIP kit. Reassemble and reinstall the valve body. Install new pan with drain plug. Reconnect the exhaust, replacing the upstream O2 sensors in the process. Install a remote spin-on transmission filter assembly somewhere under the front end. I will splice into the remote fluid cooler lines for this. Refill the transmission with Dexron-VI, and start flushing. I will leave the spin on filter off the remote mount and flush out the fluid from there. I have over 5 gallons of full synthetic GM Dexron-VI, so the transmission fluid is going to end up red whether it likes it or not...

Wednesday: Have the Escalade flatbedded to a local transmission shop to have the 'Reset Transmission Adapts' performed via a Tech 2. Then hopefully drive it home.

I will document and take photos.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will gladly do so!!! Stay tuned next week.

My intended timeline will be:

Monday morning: get home from work in the morning, put the Escalade up on four ramps, let it cool some. Spray AeroKroil on the down pipe nuts again before I go to bed.
Monday evening: drop the down pipe from the manifolds. Suck out as much fluid from the transmission via the dipstick tube as I can. See if I can drop the pan and have it clear the lowered exhaust. Remove the valve body. Let the transmission drip drain overnight.

Tuesday: Rebuild the TECHM pressure switches, go through the valve body and install what I can from the Sonnax ZIP kit. Reassemble and reinstall the valve body. Install new pan with drain plug. Reconnect the exhaust, replacing the upstream O2 sensors in the process. Install a remote spin-on transmission filter assembly somewhere under the front end. I will splice into the remote fluid cooler lines for this. Refill the transmission with Dexron-VI, and start flushing. I will leave the spin on filter off the remote mount and flush out the fluid from there. I have over 5 gallons of full synthetic GM Dexron-VI, so the transmission fluid is going to end up red whether it likes it or not...

Wednesday: Have the Escalade flatbedded to a local transmission shop to have the 'Reset Transmission Adapts' performed via a Tech 2. Then hopefully drive it home.

I will document and take photos.
My dads 2012 avalanche is having some shifting issues that I think will be solved with the parts you have mentioned. @Just Fishing gave me a parts list that's essentially the same. Im very interested in your photos and thoughts. I'd say we'll be tearing into it in a month or so. I'm still recovering from some health issues. Hopefully I'm back to 100% by then!

stevedonato

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

Long time lurker, now finally able to post. I come here from the Ford Explorer world. My beloved 1999 Explorer Limited 5.0L AWD was taken out by an inattentive drive last month.
Since I had to go back into debt to get a replacement, I decided to get something I wanted. I had been looking at 2010-2014 Tahoes for awhile. However, in my relative area, they were going for $25 large. Which I was OK enough with.
Then I stumbled upon this 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD at a dealer 4 hours from home. It was a two owner with 123,702 miles on the clock. I have a decent service history. Shock replacement at all four corners in early 2020 stands out as a very good thing.

The test drive was great! I was comfortable and had all kinds of room. However, it didn't feel all that big to drive. My Explorer was a little cozy inside. Granted, I am a fat bastard...
And...when I put my foot in the water pump, the 6.2L made GREAT noises!

The dealership replaced the oil pan gasket, oil cooler lines, transmission cooler lines, air filter, cabin air filter, and wiper blades during their inspection of the vehicle. As well as did an oil change.
They are delivering the Escalade to my home tomorrow afternoon. Why? Because they are touching up paint scratches on the bumpers and replacing all four door window trim appliques.

I have ordered an Alldatadiy subscription for it.
I have ordered an AutoCal V3 tune kit from BlackBear Performance.
I will be ordering a Tech 2 as soon as I sort through the 'Tell Me Why I Want A Tech 2' thread.

My plan is to change all the fluids immediately, with the exception of the transmission fluid. (It is currently nice and red, however...)
And replace the battery.
Oh yeah, I need to write down all the RPO codes from the sticker in the glove box.
Then inspect the brakes and such.
I have ordered Sonnax pressure switch rebuild kit and the 6L45-6L91-ZIP kit, and a new GM transmission pan. I will weld a bung to the new pan for a drain plug. When the Sonnax parts arrive, I will drain the trans and drop the valve body. Once back together, I will flush the transmission with new synthetic GM Dexron VI.

In the near future, I am doing a plugs/wires tune up and replacing the serpentine belt and tensioner.

From there, I will just drive the wheels off it and learn the nuances in care and feeding of a 2013 Escalade. I have been lurking here for a few months. My Explorer was totalled last month, but she was old. I had been looking for something else for a bit.

I plan on being an active member on this forum. Thanks for having me!

Photos below are at the dealership today:

View attachment 352513

View attachment 352514

View attachment 352515
What about the Timeing belt and tensionor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop