New guy with a 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Very nice Premium ESV. GM at it’s best and biggest. If you need a tow hitch bumper cover, the online paint to match mail order places work great and did a spot on match for my Esky diamond white pearl bumper.

The tinted tails, 3rd brake light and bumper exit exhaust show so damn nice on light colored vehicles.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, and welcome to the group! Stick around and make friends - this is a great group of knowledgeable people.

If I were to do anything to the transmission though, it would be a new upgraded TC with a billet housing. When the TCs in these fail (lockup clutch is flimsy and fails with the added stress that AFM places on it) - and you’re getting into the mileage where they start to, they take out the transmission with the debris from it. I had a local transmission shop do the one in my 2012 XL Denali because I do a lot of towing with it.

Interesting. I've been around here a long time and haven't really heard people talk about doing this. Is this an aftermarket converter? I have heard people talk about the Camaro ZL1 converter. Is that the same thing?

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've been around here a long time and haven't really heard people talk about doing this. Is this an aftermarket converter? I have heard people talk about the Camaro ZL1 converter. Is that the same thing?
The one the shop put in mine is a remanufactured factory converter but with an upgraded billet housing and lockup clutch.

Here is some more info on the failures:

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9486A6BD-0D8A-4982-AB9B-75F05E09250B.jpeg

This is a terrible photo from my phone of the RPO codes, but it will work.

I will reply to all your comments the next time I am at my PC.

Thanks!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!! Great looking rig! It’s what I want and soon! Love all the body colored accents on the premium package, the dark finish 22s and those LED tails just look so good! The 6.2 is awesome! And will be lots of fun for you!
Thank you! The understated look is what drew me in. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Yes, the 6.2L makes GREAT noises when I put my foot in the water pump... :D

you have plenty of room and nothing to hit, I have to squeeze 2 in here, neither will fit in the garage.
View attachment 352697
Yeah, you got me there. I just have to learn how to park without being able to see where I am going. Though, I did figure out how to enable the door mirrors to pivot down when I shift into reverse.

I do like those wheels. Are they 20" or 22"?
They are 22", aluminum with machined highlights and painted surfaces. I very much like them!

Very nice Premium ESV. GM at it’s best and biggest. If you need a tow hitch bumper cover, the online paint to match mail order places work great and did a spot on match for my Esky diamond white pearl bumper.

The tinted tails, 3rd brake light and bumper exit exhaust show so damn nice on light colored vehicles.
Yep, I am falling very much in love with this SUV. My Explorer was a nice SUV, but this is bigger, better, brasher, more comfortable, and more powerful.
Good to know about the hitch cover. I just realized it was missing. Thanks!

Reaction score
Yeah, you got me there. I just have to learn how to park without being able to see where I am going. Though, I did figure out how to enable the door mirrors to pivot down when I shift into reverse.
I love that feature, but my wife hates it, lol

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got alot done today. Actually, yesterday and today.

Yesterday: replaced the battery, installed an EverStart MAXX-H6. The old battery tested good, but I had no idea of its age. I sucked out the PS reservoir and refilled it with Lubegard 23232 synthetic PS fluid and 4oz of SeaFoam HydraTrans-Tune. I like it for helping to clean out sludge and such.

Today: refilled the front differential with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90LS gear oil and refilled the AWD transfer case with ACDelco Dexron-VI full synthetic ATF 88865618.
I removed the cover from the rear differential to drain the fluid. It did not look bad at all. It was the color of old gear oil, with no real fuzz on the magnetic fill plug or on the magnet inside the cover. I did get a look at the G80 locker in the rear differential. I am going to have to educate myself on how a locker works vs an LSD. Glad I have it, though.

As for the rear axle, I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure it is the 8.625" diameter ring gear unit. I can't figure out which RPO code is for the axle itself. However, my circumstantial evidence:
RPO C6C: GVW rating - 7400 lbs
10 bolt differential cover with reusable rubber/steel gasket
No drain plug at the bottom ( only 9.25" axles get that.)
Soo... that is what I think.
Anyway, it is full of fresh Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 LS gear oil.

I flushed the brake hydraulic system with DOT4 fluid, starting by sucking out the master cylinder reservoir. I then refilled the reservoir with fresh DOT4, then connected my Motive bleeder. Never flush without it!

It was not smooth sailing, though. The right rear caliper bleeder screw was VERY tight. Like I was only able to crack it enough to slowly bleed. I was wary of it snapping off. I let that corner bleed for a long time. The fluid started out brownish, and improved some over time. It needs to flush more at that corner. I will do so when I clean and inspect the brakes.

The left rear caliper bleeder screw was tight, but I was able to open it smoothly. The fluid started out very dark, but not black. It eventually cleaned up, mostly. Again, I will flush it again when I clean and inspect the brakes.

Both front caliper's bleeder screws opened smoothly and bled well. Both fluid started out brownish, but quickly cleaned up. Both of those bled to clean fluid.

Fun fact: I was able to acces all four bleeder screws from under the SUV with the wheels still on. I have never dealt with 22" rims before...

2021-10-14 018.JPG
New battery install.

2021-10-14 019.JPG
PS fluid change.

2021-10-14 020.JPG
Front differential fluid change. I put a bit of oil on the fill plug to slow the rust.

2021-10-14 024.JPG
AWD transfer case fluid change.

2021-10-14 036.JPG
Rear differential fluid change.

Now...I did run into what may be my first real issue with this SUV. I think the front differential left side axle bearing is loose.
I have started a separate thread on it in the engine/drivetrain section:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...erential-left-side-axle-bearing-loose.129896/

All in all, I am VERY happy with my Escalade!
Oh, I forgot to mention, this thing is CLEAN underneath!!! NO RUST!!! That matters, because my Explorer was slowly dissolving before my eyes.

Thanks!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More photos here:

2021-10-14 035.JPG
Rear cover, gasket, and hardware cleaned and ready to reinstall. NOTE: that rear differential cover is some THICK metal! Thicker than the GM 10-bolts and Ford 8.8" rear ends I have been dealing with.

2021-10-14 031.JPG
Had to get a look at the G80 locker in there...

2021-10-14 021.JPG
This is the front differential left side axle output flange I referenced above and am talking about in my other thread.

Thanks!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love that feature, but my wife hates it, lol
Haha! I honestly doubt my wife will ever drive my Escalade. She is tiny (5" 1") and is afraid of it. Far to big for her. She is used to driving a 2002 Mustang. I will pull out the 3rd row seats and put the Mustang in the back... :D

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! The understated look is what drew me in. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Yes, the 6.2L makes GREAT noises when I put my foot in the water pump... :D

They are 22", aluminum with machined highlights and painted surfaces. I very much like them!

Yep, I am falling very much in love with this SUV. My Explorer was a nice SUV, but this is bigger, better, brasher, more comfortable, and more powerful.
Good to know about the hitch cover. I just realized it was missing. Thanks!
Easy, but I have been doing it for 20+ years with 5% tint myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne