New brake lines in, bleeder questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use an 8 point deep socket and if that fails vise grips. And yes have replacements ready. Then use a line wrench because you can't use a socket when doing the actual bleeding. The Motiv bleeder will amaze you that it's so easy. BTW I just installed a pair of reman ACDelco calipers and one had a 10 mm and one an 11 mm. bleeder.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
Are these metric or standard sizes? Trying to figure out which flare wrenches to get.

I have a set of SAE and they do not appear to fit correctly. I'm going to get a set of metrics just to add to the toolbox, and hopefully those will work. If not, the vise grips are oiled up and ready. . .

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which ever you use, I prefer a metric mid size socket to break them free, don’t just go turning the bleeder completely left. Once it’s pops free turn back right a hair then continue left. Work it back and forth in a two step forward one step back ratio. 1/4 to left 1/8 back right for example. I always soak the fittings with PB blaster then go get the tools I need giving it a minute to *********. Only penetrating oil that I’ll use on flare nuts and bleeders anything with brake lines anymore, never done me wrong.

If the bleeder does happen to snap for whatever reason, don’t panic, one thing you’ll not have to worry about is if it’s gonna leak lol

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
First, thanks to everyone who's offered suggestions and help. It's greatly appreciated!! At least I feel like I'm not too far off the mark.

(For a little quick background, this truck was abandoned outside in a storage area for over 1 1/2 years before I grabbed it. Overall, it's in amazingly good shape for being 18 years old, and maintenance records in the truck lead me to believe that someone took good care of it before abandoning it. Because it was setting for so long, I'm more willing to consider more extreme measures to remove any other problems that might come up. So far, other than the stupid brake line, it's not been bad - runs good, drives good, etc.)

Here's something I've been thinking about(and it's always dangerous when I start thinking) - there are 2 scenarios that play out for me.

First, the bleeder pops loose, everything is all good, brakes bleed and we're all done!

Second, something happens to the bleeder - crushes, breaks, whatever - which means changing out at minimum a bleeder, if not wheel cylinder or more.

For the first scenario, that would be the ideal and simplest. However, on this truck, nothing has been simple, so I'm not holding my breath. On to part 2 . . .

The second one I suspect is more likely - something is going to happen to the bleeder and it will require significant effort. Of course, if it's as simple as getting the stuck bleeders out and replacing them, great, but should one break inside the cylinder

So, with all that babbling, I've been thinking about just replacing both calipers. They're not that expensive, would be 2 bolts each to remove(after compressing the piston(s) ), flare nut and then bleed and be done.

With all the other stuff that has happened with this truck, I'm thinking that might be money well spent - not to mention time and effort saved! Anyone else crazy enough to go to this extreme???

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest new calipers, loaded ones, being you have to bleed anyway. If you were trying to save money, yes just bleeders but I cant tell you if the calipers are in the best shape. Honestly, easiest way is new calipers, more expensive but well worth it imo