New brake lines in, bleeder questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
I was going to suggest new calipers, loaded ones, being you have to bleed anyway. If you were trying to save money, yes just bleeders but I cant tell you if the calipers are in the best shape. Honestly, easiest way is new calipers, more expensive but well worth it imo

Thanks!!

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
I definitely recommend changing the calipers if you can afford it. I did all 4 on my wife's Denali last summer. (I did it because I it needed new pads and rotors any way and my new dad senses took over being that the denali is what my wife and 1 yo son ride around in all the time... One thing lead to another aaaannnddd... Fresh brake parts all the way around!) Anyhow, if you are questioning it at all, I say pull the trigger on the calipers, definitely get the loaded ones if you can. If nothing else, that's cheap peace of mind knowing they'll work when you need them.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a loaded ACDelco set ( includes pads and brackets) from Rockauto for $70 each plus core charge. That was for rears on a 2002. With the miles that truck has on it, it's probably time.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you’re talking about calipers AND wheel cylinders. So I’m assuming you have disc brake up front and drums in the rear? If so, and you’re worried about breaker a bleeder off the wheel cylinders in the back. If they sat that long with out use they more than likely need to be replaced regardless. Wheel cylinders are stupid cheap and easier than calipers to change.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Did they do drums on the back on the NBS? Both of mine have disc all the way around, so I just assumed all of the nbs had 4-wheel disc.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked Rockauto and the 2000 Tahoe has drums in the rear. I did not know that. So...rear cylinders are less than $10 each so you can replace those easy and cheap. I hate drum brakes so much that I just did a budget conversion on my 08 Silverado and installed NBS discs in the back so I'll never have to deal with drums. But you can replace the rear cylinders if you want and the front calipers.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
I'm with you, drums suck... I see them only as a necessary evil on my 67' mustang... And that is only because I don't want to drop the coin on the conversion kit. Next time it needs brakes I may just bite the bullet and do it though.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
From my recollection, which is up for scrutiny, my Tahoe has discs on the rear. However, since I was hitting my head regularly under the truck replacing the brake line, my memory may be a bit askew. . . . . . :confused:

I agree, if it's drums, no question, cylinders for all! If it's discs, I think the calipers will be the way to go. Now I just have to go look under the Tahoe's skirt and see what's back there. . . . :oops:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be discs in the front and drums in the rear. Business up front party in the rear. Like a mullet lol.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked Rockauto and the 2000 Tahoe has drums in the rear. I did not know that. So...rear cylinders are less than $10 each so you can replace those easy and cheap. I hate drum brakes so much that I just did a budget conversion on my 08 Silverado and installed NBS discs in the back so I'll never have to deal with drums. But you can replace the rear cylinders if you want and the front calipers.
My 2000 has calipers in the rear.. never seen a nbs with drums. That may be the OBS one..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan