My Project Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Thanks @Geotrash, I am starting to rethink my rebuild path after I saw this youtube video about the sloppy mechanic cam kits.
Seems the metal is really soft and the lobes are not ramp up right. I am trying to fix this on the cheap side and also have fun with it after it is done. We sold the camper. So not really looking at towing any more. Just want to build something to piss off the neighbors...lol I like the truck norris cams but very pricey. I could go ahead and build it on the cheap with the sloppy cam. Drive it awhile and then just replace the cam with a better one later. At least this cheap way I am able to purchase more things like the oil pump, springs, push rods etc. The motor would at least be 50% fresh. My wife wants me to sell it and take a lose on it. But the car is paid for and it fits me. So I have to ask myself. Do I spend over $900 to have fun and puts a smile on my face every time I start it up. Or start over on a better unit with lower miles?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If on the cheap, just buy a used OEM cam.

Thats what most people do for staying on the cheap, while keeping it OEM.

I helped a buddy rebuild his, and he bought a one from eBay.. I think it was from a LM4.. But I might be wrong.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Now I am at a cross roads. So I source all my parts needed to do this rebuild. Thinking worst case I'll have to replace the rockers, cam, push rods, lifters, oil pump upgrade to high volume and timing chain/gears, etc. Thought is if your in it, might as well replace what you can now for insurance down the road. Cost is going to be around $500-700 just for parts. On the cheap be around $400.
So just found a 87k mile 6.0ls with a 6 speed auto trans for $600. Why not just upgrade to a 6.0 for the same cost of a rebuilding my 5.3. Thinking I would just have to get my ECU tuned or replace one from a junk yard and then tune. Or I found a 5.3 low mileage motor for only $400. Would make more since to pick and pull motors than to rebuild.:banghead:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I am at a cross roads. So I source all my parts needed to do this rebuild. Thinking worst case I'll have to replace the rockers, cam, push rods, lifters, oil pump upgrade to high volume and timing chain/gears, etc. Thought is if your in it, might as well replace what you can now for insurance down the road. Cost is going to be around $500-700 just for parts. On the cheap be around $400.
So just found a 87k mile 6.0ls with a 6 speed auto trans for $600. Why not just upgrade to a 6.0 for the same cost of a rebuilding my 5.3. Thinking I would just have to get my ECU tuned or replace one from a junk yard and then tune. Or I found a 5.3 low mileage motor for only $400. Would make more since to pick and pull motors than to rebuild.:banghead:
If you’re having difficulty deciding, just go ahead and send me the 6.0.. I’ll take good care of her.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Damn, that's super cheap!

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Now the 6.0 is just the engine and trans. A 2016 so would have to do a DOD delete. Not a whole car. So the same price of just a rebuild kit I could get a whole new setup engine and trans. Now grant it my trans was rebuilt about 2years ago with a new torque converter. I could always pull the old one out and save it to rebuild later for another project car. Or just buy the other 5.3 motor for $400 and use my trans i have now. Small details, I would have to get an engine lift or rent one. More jacks stands. And would take a couple of weeks to pull a motor than to do a rebuild with it in the car.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Seriously. Any 6.0 I’ve looked at the last couple years, they want like 2k for. Buy it @DadsToy !!
I know right...Its just I am trying to figure out the other details of the swap. Like can I use the existing wiring harness. Will I have to get a 6.0 ECM? If so will it plug into my harness. or can my 5.3 be sent out to be program to run. Seems it would be a plug and play kind of thing, but there is the security issue with the VIN number. I should had bought a Tech II scanner when I had the chance. Oh and would have to program the trans too. Comes with a 6speed auto.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know right...Its just I am trying to figure out the other details of the swap. Like can I use the existing wiring harness. Will I have to get a 6.0 ECM? If so will it plug into my harness. or can my 5.3 be sent out to be program to run. Seems it would be a plug and play kind of thing, but there is the security issue with the VIN number. I should had bought a Tech II scanner when I had the chance. Oh and would have to program the trans too. Comes with a 6speed auto.
It would need some adaptation for sure. You’d need to get a new crank with a 24x reluctor if I’m not mistaken. Although I believe Hennessy Lingenfelter makes a kit or something for that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe