My Project Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadsToy

Reaction score
Just purchase a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe, really cheap. Had bought this so we could tow a small camper with it. But I wanted something that I could play with. Wanted to always build a street rod of some kind. With the available after market parts for these cars. Seem to be a perfect fit. And they are pretty easy access to work on. Has the 5.3L V8 with, 293,000 miles. Oh and its still going strong. Transmission was replaced about 4 years ago with a new torque converter. Shifts smooth and no issues. The only issue it has, on a cold start it has a tick noise. Last about less than a minute and goes away. Thinking its a lifter not working right. I change the oil and added Mystery Oil in hopes of getting rid of a stuck lifter and removal of any slug. Seems to be working, cause over time the lifter noise goes away faster. Once warmed up it doesn't do it again. But with that in mind I'll do a new cam swap and change out the lifters later. So the other problem she has is the steering is loose. Lot of play in the steering wheel. So first order of business rebuilding of the front suspension. And since I am going to be installing new wheel bearings. I am going to drop it 2/3".
IMG_2531.JPG
Crown Suspension front 2" spindles and 3" rear springs.
IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG
Out with the old and in with the new. Yes, the brakes are going to be upgrade to z32 with new calipers, pads, brake lines.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Had to remove the hub bearing bolts to use on the new spindles. So with that in mind I wanted to remove the old bearings. Just in case I don't like the drop, I could reuse the old Spindles.
IMG_2540.JPG
If you ever have to remove old front bearings. This tool is a life saver. Couple wacks with a Big Hammer and its off.
IMG_2541.JPG
Oh and PB Blaster is your friend. Totally soak all nuts, bolts etc and let it set for 15-20min. Let it work, made disassembly faster and easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
So now the front suspension is completed, onto the rear. Installing 3" drop springs with Firestone bag inserts. The Crown kit also comes with shock extenders. So using the shocks that are on the car for now. Might upgrade those later as time permits. The goal right now is to update the front suspension and go ahead and drop it while the work is being done. Knocking out 2 birds with one stone...lol. Winter is coming and I don't like working in the cold. So just trying to get things done before it gets too cold on me. I also got new bump stops. But had to remove the back ones. Where to long. Will have to cut them down after the car has time to settle in on the new hardware.
IMG_2547.JPG
New spring vs old spring
IMG_2551.JPG
Little bit of old and new. Budget build. Here you can see the Firestone air bags and the drop shock bracket. The yellow bump stop was removed. Trying to figure out how much I should cut off. My other concern is the spring. If you jack the car up on one side the spring will fall out. There is no tension to hold it up into the mount.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
First Pic.png
Before
IMG_2554.JPG
After.
Not much of a difference. I think it will look better once I get 20" wheels. Didn't won't to slam it just yet. Remember, I got this in order to tow a small camper for me and the DW to vacation in. So the bags will help with the weight. I go today and get it aligned. I kind of like the front to be a little lower. The back I think sets lower than the front. I wonder if I need to adjust the torque arms cams. I had set them back to the original settings. Any thoughts on how to make this a little lower in the front...

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came from PO with satin Torque Thrust rims with Yokohama Parada 285/55 R20 sport tread tires. Too slick for New England winters for me and I did not have cash to put AT tires on the 20" rims. $$$

I swapped for a beat up set of 16" rims with 245/75 R16 tires off a 1990's Silverado that was listed on Craigslist for a total of $400 for the entire truck. The wheels I gave him netted $800 on the sale of his truck!

Eh... I got a set of skinnier tires with more tread, that were better for the winter than the slicks I had on the sport rims.

Something like what I gave away would be perfect for a lowered Tahoe.

20211103_100331.jpg

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Mine came from PO with satin Torque Thrust rims with Yokohama Parada 285/55 R20 sport tread tires. Too slick for New England winters for me and I did not have cash to put AT tires on the 20" rims. $$$

I swapped for a beat up set of 16" rims with 245/75 R16 tires off a 1990's Silverado that was listed on Craigslist for a total of $400 for the entire truck. The wheels I gave him netted $800 on the sale of his truck!

Eh... I got a set of skinnier tires with more tread, that were better for the winter than the slicks I had on the sport rims.

Something like what I gave away would be perfect for a lowered Tahoe.

View attachment 385231
Very cool. I think I'll just find some stock GMC 20" wheels with good rubber on them. Can find them cheap and would be a direct bolt on. The 18" that are on there now are from what I think is a 2015 year.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Okay, just got back from the alignment shop. Now everything is point straight. It seems the front has drop some too. So what ever they did seem to help to drop it. Now the only thing I don't like so far about the drop kit is the rear springs. They cause the back end to bounce. Just wonder if new shocks would help with that issue. Anyone else had this same problem. I keep the old springs just in case I didn't like the drop. Might concerned cut one coil off and reinstall them. But I don't think I'll be able to get the air bags out of the new coils. Maybe adding more air to the bags would help. I only have 10lbs of air in them now. Have to say, a lot of the play in the steering is gone. Old ball joints and tie rods where the main issue. Lot safer to drive now.
IMG_2556.JPGIMG_2529.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518