My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on my family's success and my recent success with ATK performance. I have over 8K on my current upgraded engine. I also was able to get a significant discount after talking to customer service. So, I purchased the 13G8 Machined LQ4 6.0L Bare Block.
Just up the road from me… :win:

ETA: can you provide some details on your previous success with ATK.?

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I love this thread! Inspiring! If I had some disposable income right now, I’d be ordering parts. I can’t wait to do one of my own. The block you ordered looks great too. Excellent write up and details. And of course some valuable, and important feedback from knowledgeable members here. I love this forum! :drunk:

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just up the road from me… :win:

ETA: can you provide some details on your previous success with ATK.?
Sure. First I would say their customer service is quite good. Second, the current engine in my Tahoe is from them and it currently has roughly 10K miles on it (easily 1/3 of that is towing our camper) and it is still running very strong. Hindsight, I should have put in a 6.0L instead of the upgraded 5.3L. My original engine died of a camshaft bearing failure at around 288K. I think I might have contributed to this failure when I upgraded the camshaft (@240K) - I might have nicked that bearing during install. Not sure, but I was also troubleshooting a low oil pressure issue at the time of failure. And finally, my brother bought an engine from them for his Dodge truck and it should have turned over 100K by now. I also have a friend who bought an engine from them for his Jeep. I would also add that this current block was in pristine condition. When the engine and block was shipped it was protected quite well in a very solid wood crafted shipping container.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I love this thread! Inspiring! If I had some disposable income right now, I’d be ordering parts. I can’t wait to do one of my own. The block you ordered looks great too. Excellent write up and details. And of course some valuable, and important feedback from knowledgeable members here. I love this forum! :drunk:
Thank you and your so right. This forum and the members are selfless, knowledgeable and amazing.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I have not had that issue with the LS7 lifter and I've cammed several LS motors. What oil pump are you using?

I'm using a melling hplv pump with the standard blue spring.

I had tried to use a hvhp pump before and that liked to flood my cylinder heads and signs of my pan getting sucked dry.

I'm thinking it was all caused by the pac dual spring setup that came with my afr heads.
Higher spring pressure equals more pumping of the lifter.

I found a posting in the corvette forum with the same issue and the resolution to use the different style of lifter.

I have my lifter issues patched right now with some heavier weight oil (40w), pressures are much better and the valve train noise is mostly non existant.

New project in the way, but i plan to install the new lifters once i have the jeep running and on the road.

Next step would be to replace the valve springs with some standard weight ones if this fails to fix the issue.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to install my pistons last Sunday but I pulled out my piston ring compressor and it was too small. Shame on me for assuming it would work and not verifying. My correct size compressor arrived today so hopefully I can get the pistons installed this weekend. Family life keeps delaying me (which is a good thing) but as I stated at the start, I'm not in a hurry and want to do this right.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found time last night to install a couple of pistons. I wanted to ensure the piston ring compressor would work. I was going to install just piston number 1, but it was so easy I installed number 2. The key was to lubricate the cylinder, the inside of the compressor and the piston/rings. After that just slip the piston into the compressor, make sure the rings are correctly aligned and not off to the side, then tap into the cylinder. As the piston slides down the compressor the rings get compressed and slides into cylinder. So Simple. End play/clearance checked good. Six more to go - hopefully this weekend.

ring compressor.jpg

In cylinder.jpg

Endcap Installed.jpg

One Done.jpg

Two Down.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found time last night to install a couple of pistons. I wanted to ensure the piston ring compressor would work. I was going to install just piston number 1, but it was so easy I installed number 2. The key was to lubricate the cylinder, the inside of the compressor and the piston/rings. After that just slip the piston into the compressor, make sure the rings are correctly aligned and not off to the side, then tap into the cylinder. As the piston slides down the compressor the rings get compressed and slides into cylinder. So Simple. End play/clearance checked good. Six more to go - hopefully this weekend.

View attachment 390510

View attachment 390511

View attachment 390512

View attachment 390513

View attachment 390514
What brand is that tool?

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend I did manage to get 4 more pistons installed.

Most of my time though was spent with my sick Beagle and keeping him comfortable. I also had to install a new overhead garage door. The old one was taken out by a failed torsion spring. Wow, lucky that thing failed without anything underneath it. I did the install myself and used a torsions spring conversion called EZ torsion spring. You use a drill to wind the spring. Pretty simple.

Installed the other pistons tonight. However, going to remove #7 in the next day or two. It did not go in as easy as the others so I'm concerned I might have damaged one of the rings. Better safe then sorry.

I will post pictures when I get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout