My dream just died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... yeah my fear the frame was bent from the impact has been realized. To what extent exactly? I'm not sure yet. I do know the rear passenger door will not open as usual anymore. I had to get in and kick it open. Liftgate is 99% undamaged, but it won't close cuz of the rear quarter and bumper. What would really make me sleep better is to find that illusive white Z71 (truck or frame) for cheap to swap what parts I can from mine into it (Hey, it's fun to pretend).

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm still waiting on insurance. Over a week later and she (other driver) still hasn't given the insurance company a statement yet! Seriously? Wow.
She was driving a Dodge Dart. That thing must have blindspots in the windshield area

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm still waiting on insurance. Over a week later and she (other driver) still hasn't given the insurance company a statement yet! Seriously? Wow.
She was driving a Dodge Dart. That thing must have blindspots in the windshield area
Probably doesn’t want to admit fault so she’s dragging it out. The sooner her insurance pays the sooner her rates go up and the sooner she pays the deductible. Or might be afraid she is going to get dropped which does happen if she’s had other claims.

OP
OP
Electrician

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably doesn’t want to admit fault so she’s dragging it out. The sooner her insurance pays the sooner her rates go up and the sooner she pays the deductible. Or might be afraid she is going to get dropped which does happen if she’s had other claims.
That was exactly my initial thought as well. Even her insurance kinda seemed to have that tone about it when they mentioned it to me.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a truck decide to pass the 18 wheeler ahead of him, while I was on his left passing him. $11k damage. I ended up calling the department of insurance for TN, got the guy’s insurance carrier, called them to learn he hadn’t reported it yet. I called him at 0600 the next morning. He wasn’t happy, but felt it may be good to call his agent since I know how to reach him and where he lived.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter got hit a few years back on her way to school. Lady that hit her admitted fault on the scene and to the police but was dodging her own insurance company for several weeks. I knew her address and considered showing up, but realized how dumb that could have been. Fortunately she did end up confessing to her insurance and the car was repaired on their dime.

Good luck.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Electrician Glad to hear you're ok and no one was hurt. Sucks about the truck. You'll find a replacement though that you can still use your parts on! If you do end up going that route just think of it as a clean slate and a "blank canvas" to redo everything in an even better way than you did the first time!

I'm having a hard time understanding all these comments about waiting for the driver to "admit fault" to their insurance company in order to move forward with a claim on their insurance?

When there's an auto accident out on public roads one of the drivers gets a citation; Marked Lanes, Failure to Yield to the Right Away, Left to Center, Traffic Signal, the list goes on. The driver who receives the citation is the one at fault because their action caused the accident; Hence the traffic citation.

What am I missing?

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
@Electrician Glad to hear you're ok and no one was hurt. Sucks about the truck. You'll find a replacement though that you can still use your parts on! If you do end up going that route just think of it as a clean slate and a "blank canvas" to redo everything in an even better way than you did the first time!

I'm having a hard time understanding all these comments about waiting for the driver to "admit fault" to their insurance company in order to move forward with a claim on their insurance?

When there's an auto accident out on public roads one of the drivers gets a citation; Marked Lanes, Failure to Yield to the Right Away, Left to Center, Traffic Signal, the list goes on. The driver who receives the citation is the one at fault because their action caused the accident; Hence the traffic citation.

What am I missing?
Exactly what i was thinking who got he ticket case closed.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What am I missing?

Exactly what i was thinking who got he ticket case closed.
Depends on what state you’re in. They don’t always write a ticket.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its rebuildable... But at what cost.. :grumpycat:

There are others out there, lower miles, different options/colors/materials, etc. I rebuild cars in my spare time, and I wouldnt touch it.. I dont do frame work.

Time for a Yukon Denali, or Esky maybe.. :peace:

What am I missing?
Thats not always the case. One of my drivers was driving a Semi-Truck, and a car hit him on the side during a turn. My driver got a ticket for failure to maintain lane.

He fought the ticket, and won. We fought the insurance, with the ticket being dismissed, and dash cam, and we won there as well. Our truck/trailer had no damage, his car was totaled, trailer tandems drove up his tire, and over his fender, hood, headlights, bumper, and engine.

Ironically, it was also a Dodge Dart..

We still have the accident on our record, but it shows "Not at Fault".

EDIT: The biggest thing for him is to make sure he is paid Fair Market Value, which insurance companies have a hard time doing. Start doing a bit of research now, find a similar truck to yours, for miles, options, etc. Print those findings off to PDF on your computer. Dealers are the best, since they almost always overcharge.

When my wife totaled our Pontiac a couple years ago, they tried to low ball me to the tune of $800 bucks! Azteks are a bit more rare, so I had to search nationwide. I showed the insurance company comparables, and lower end models, that were being sold at dealers..

We wound up getting 5500 for the Pontiac, which allowed me to fix it, and put it back on the road. Got it inspected by the state, and by the insurance company. Put full coverage insurance back on it. 4 months later, a hail storm hit.. Got totaled again. Got paid the same amount again. This time we bought it back, dropped the full coverage, and just pocketed the money. Way to expensive to fix that hail damage!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts