MPG tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it. Of course you’re gonna see some better throttle response with higher octane. Race cars don’t run 87.
But you can read 25 articles saying lower octane will give better MPG. Then turn around and read 25 articles saying the opposite. I wish I didn’t chime in. I was a little drunk not as drunk as I was much later after getting off the forum.

Sorry, not trying to be a forum know it all. I usually never say anything. Been on this forum almost 10 years and first time I’ve ever really said anything.

Nothing wrong with having a discussion- that's what a forum is for. Permission to speak freely, private!

Articles, blogs, etc. are always gonna contradict each other because there are far too many variables to reach a consensus about 87 versus 91+ returning better MPG. Variables such as engine type, design, tuning, environment in which it's operated, the quality grade of the fuel it's being fed, the varying loads, and many other factors that can't really be controlled will all affect fuel economy results. We can narrow it down to just GM SUVs on this forum. But there's still weather (barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, etc.), environment, terrain, condition of engine and drivetrain, load, available local fuel blend and many other factors that we can't feasibly control that will skew the data.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the 89 octane fuel since I bought my 2002 Tahoe with decent MPG results unless I am just doing in town stop and go driving. I decided to switch to 91 octane, premium, for this winter. I am completely surprised that I am doing way better on my MPG since I switched. I live where I work so unless I do get out on the interstate I do 95% driving in town. My rig just likes premium fuel way better, from Chevron.
The mpg jump is even better on the VVT system Tahoes 18.5 to
25.5 to 26.8MPG on the highway... the BEST in the City was 31MPG!

with 87 you barely get 18.5/18.5 MPG

I think with a few Aero mods and 93 octane it can hit 40mpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it. Of course you’re gonna see some better throttle response with higher octane. Race cars don’t run 87.
But you can read 25 articles saying lower octane will give better MPG. Then turn around and read 25 articles saying the opposite. I wish I didn’t chime in. I was a little drunk not as drunk as I was much later after getting off the forum.

Sorry, not trying to be a forum know it all. I usually never say anything. Been on this forum almost 10 years and first time I’ve ever really said anything.

We'd love for you to chime in more. What are you driving? What's your experience been with using different brands and octanes in your truck? Most folks pay no mind to this topic at all but many here do. I've been data recording my MPGs since I was a kid.

BeauDuke45

Reaction score
We'd love for you to chime in more. What are you driving? What's your experience been with using different brands and octanes in your truck? Most folks pay no mind to this topic at all but many here do. I've been data recording my MPGs since I was a kid.
I’ve been tracking mpg on my vehicles for years too. Noticeable differences in weather, road conditions, 4wd vs 2wd. Just tried a tank of 91 octane (I usually use 87), and am planning on running a few tanks of 91 so I can compare notes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hardluck13

Reaction score
It’s obviously been a couple months but I appreciate the welcome reply’s and not bashing. I actually have quite a few vehicles. From old cars, new diesels, old diesels, some newer half ton gas Chevy’s and then with Tahoe’s I have a 2005 LT with about 50k original miles and 2 door 2wd Tahoe’s. I drive my 2017 Ram mega cab diesel and my new mega cab diesel a lot. But I love love my NBS Tahoe. I’ve noticed that with my 2014 Silverado (4x4, cognito level kit, I have extra methods from my 07 prerunner that I’ll run sometimes but it has stocks on it a lot of the time, LT headers, exhaust, AFE or Volant intake can’t remember have to go look, and a tune) E85 of course makes it run great ( E85 is what 105 octane) but I’ve noticed the cheaper price doesn’t offset the mileage it gets from it. The NBS Tahoe gets horrible mileage (2wd stock motor, lowered with coil overs, 22” wheels and 373 gears). I know it’s 15 year old technology and doesn’t have the 6 speed trans etc... however my statement about octane and mileage is based on E85 experience and 05 Tahoe experience plus I have LS’s in some of my old cars and trucks. Obviously nothing can beat my diesels (even lifted, 10k lbs, 22x12s goosenecks hooked up with equipment or big ass fusion toy hauler) it’s pumping 19+ mpg. Just wish my NBS Tahoe would do better.

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s obviously been a couple months but I appreciate the welcome reply’s and not bashing. I actually have quite a few vehicles. From old cars, new diesels, old diesels, some newer half ton gas Chevy’s and then with Tahoe’s I have a 2005 LT with about 50k original miles and 2 door 2wd Tahoe’s. I drive my 2017 Ram mega cab diesel and my new mega cab diesel a lot. But I love love my NBS Tahoe. I’ve noticed that with my 2014 Silverado (4x4, cognito level kit, I have extra methods from my 07 prerunner that I’ll run sometimes but it has stocks on it a lot of the time, LT headers, exhaust, AFE or Volant intake can’t remember have to go look, and a tune) E85 of course makes it run great ( E85 is what 105 octane) but I’ve noticed the cheaper price doesn’t offset the mileage it gets from it. The NBS Tahoe gets horrible mileage (2wd stock motor, lowered with coil overs, 22” wheels and 373 gears). I know it’s 15 year old technology and doesn’t have the 6 speed trans etc... however my statement about octane and mileage is based on E85 experience and 05 Tahoe experience plus I have LS’s in some of my old cars and trucks. Obviously nothing can beat my diesels (even lifted, 10k lbs, 22x12s goosenecks hooked up with equipment or big ass fusion toy hauler) it’s pumping 19+ mpg. Just wish my NBS Tahoe would do better.

My 2003 Yukon xl 4x4 5.3 gets 17.3 on the highway at 70 mph and I have a 100 mile round trip to work everyday. That’s running 87 octane with arch oil in it. I put ethanol free gas in it one time and it will easily push 20 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts