Motor refresh complete, now no crank, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, for anyone that has been follow my build thread, I pulled the motor out of my 2007 Yukon Denali with 192k miles over the summer to replace the oil pump, refresh all of the gaskets, fix the broken exhaust manifold bolts, and address a handful of other things while also doing a lot of cleaning and degreasing. I also pulled the transmission valve body to inspect it and to check for worn check balls. I finally got everything back together over the weekend that is needed to fire her up. I reconnected the battery, and go to start it up.

The first thing I did after turning the ignition to on, was cycle the gear selector to make sure the vehicle was in park. I only drove this vehicle occasionally for the few months I owned, so my memory could be fuzzy on how a few things work on this vehicle. I noticed the the gear indicator on the dash did not change at all as I moved the shift lever. Shouldn't there be a line or some sort of indication of gear change even with just the ignition turned to on?

Setting that aside for the moment, I proceeded forward and turned the key to start. The radio and dash reset, so I assume the battery was weak after sitting for 4 months, and apparently at one point I popped the rear glass so I'm not sure how long the battery was connected with glass popped. So I could have drained the battery pretty good. Off to Autozone to have them test and charge the battery. They said the battery tested good, and charged it for about 1.5 hours. I dropped it back into the Denali, test the voltage which read 12.3V on my multi-meter. Attempted to start, and got the same thing. No start, no crank, gauge cluster blanks while the key is in the start position and resets when release. So, I started to research and diagnose.

When the key is turn on, I believe I hear the fuel pump prime, but its kind of hard to tell since there are several things that make soft buzzing and humming noises when you turn the key to on.

I don't believe its a key transponder issue with the Passkey III security system. The light for that on the dash lights up when the ignition is turned to the on position, and then turns off after a few seconds.

The starter is new, and when put a screwdriver across the terminals it certainly spins.

One thing that leads me to believe I have an issue with the computer or communication issue with the computer is that the fuel gauge never moves and is on Empty.

Following some of the diagnostic test from this video.

With the ignition on, I tested with a test light, and have power across Fuse 56, 12, and 4. I also have 5V reference on both the MAP and MAF.

So, I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I bought a trickle charger to ensure the battery is fully charged, and I bought the VXDiag VCX Nano GDS2 which should give me a Tech2 virtual machine that I can run from a laptop. I'm hoping once I have that I will have a lot better understand of what the truck can and cannot talk to. I'm open to any thoughts or inputs, or even steps I should take once I have access to Tech2.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a ground issue. Are you sure you reconnected all the grounds, especially from the block to the frame?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It sounds almost like the truck doesn't know it's in park.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a ground issue. Are you sure you reconnected all the grounds, especially from the block to the frame?

Off the top of my head I can think of 4 ground wires on the block. Although the only one that I'm confident where the other end attaches is the one on the firewall near the brake booster. I don't recall removing any from the frame, but its possible I may have removed one or two from the frame while I was cleaning and painting things. I will check those tonight.

Let me make sure I have them all

1. Driver side Head to Firewall
2. Driver side below the exhaust manifold to Frame(?)
3. Passenger side head to Frame(?)
4. Smaller gauge wire also on passenger side head to (?).

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Had almost the exact same issues with an 03 after an engine swap. Turned out to be the battery/ground cables on the starter. I think a park/neutral safety switch or something with trans linkage could b possible too. I Didn’t have the shift issues tho.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I was wondering if that was a possibility as well. If so, what tells the computer its in park?

Park/neutral position switch is on the side of the transmission where the shift linkage connects.

Try this...

Open the hood and remove the cover from the underhood fuse panel. Place your hand on the Starter relay and have someone else turn the key to start. You should feel the relay click each time the key is turned to the start position.

If the relay clicks, the ignition switch, neutral safety switch and all wiring is good up to that point.

I'm thinking maybe when you dropped the transmission pan to check your balls o_O that perhaps you didn't plug it back in or somehow damaged the wiring.

Not sure if you removed it to drop the pan or just pried it out of the way, which is common.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't have to disconnect or move anything to drop the pan. Now, to remove the valve body there was clearly connections to the gear shift selector, and an electrical connection for the TCM. I think this may have been where I screwed up. After pulling the white plastic tab to release the TCM electrical connections the valve body slide right out. So, for the re-install I just slide the valve body back in making sure to first align the TCM's electrical connection, and push back in the white tab.

According to this video the connection is much different then what I thought I was working with.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
years ago my 03 sierra did something like this out of the blue, turn key and the gear indicator just went to 1, of course it wont start then, was under warranty so the dealer towed it in, iirc they said it needed the pcm reflashed to a newer os.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't have to disconnect or move anything to drop the pan. Now, to remove the valve body there was clearly connections to the gear shift selector, and an electrical connection for the TCM. I think this may have been where I screwed up. After pulling the white plastic tab to release the TCM electrical connections the valve body slide right out. So, for the re-install I just slide the valve body back in making sure to first align the TCM's electrical connection, and push back in the white tab.

According to this video the connection is much different then what I thought I was working with.

The symptom of no gear indicator position is what I had on my 08 Silvy when I accidentally removed one of the TCM fuses and the trans went into limp mode. The gear position indicators went out. I'll bet that connector you messed with isn't plugged in correctly and like was mentioned earlier, it needs to know it's in park before it will start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep