Motor refresh complete, now no crank, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate the idea of dropping the trans pan again (why didn't GM put a drain plug on these), I think we are onto something. Hopefully, my wife and kid will give me enough time to work on this tonight.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate the idea of dropping the trans pan again (why didn't GM put a drain plug on these), I think we are onto something. Hopefully, my wife and kid will give me enough time to work on this tonight.
By chance did you change the filter while the pan was off? If not, now’s the time.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I forgot you have the 6L80 because its a Denali.

I was thinking '07 = 4L60... in which case the gear position switch is external.

Sorry for the confusion but sounds like you are on the right track.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had some body work done this summer and the body guy ran into a no start, I went over there to see what they had done and saw one of the fuse box handles was not in position, apparently they had pulled the handle to remove a bolt for the quarter panel, after messing with the fuse box a few times lifting it and putting it back down and banging on the fuse box it finally went back to starting, everything else was working just no start. so my point is if you moved the fuse box at all you may want to check that out also but I would say only if it is was moved otherwise it could be compounding the problem

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By chance did you change the filter while the pan was off? If not, now’s the time.

That was the original reason I was diving in there. Drain the fluid and replace the filter. I figured while I was there I would also inspect the valve body.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some body work done this summer and the body guy ran into a no start, I went over there to see what they had done and saw one of the fuse box handles was not in position, apparently they had pulled the handle to remove a bolt for the quarter panel, after messing with the fuse box a few times lifting it and putting it back down and banging on the fuse box it finally went back to starting, everything else was working just no start. so my point is if you moved the fuse box at all you may want to check that out also but I would say only if it is was moved otherwise it could be compounding the problem

One problem solved. Tried this as one of the first things I did this evening, but apparently wasn't aggressive enough with it. So, I dropped the exhaust, drained the trans fluid, dropped the pan, pulled the valvebody and fiddled with it and its connection for over an hour with no improvement. So I came back to review this thread. Decided to get more aggressive with pushing the fuse box back in, and bam. Gear selection is now displayed on the dash, but still no start, no crank.

The Tech2 device should arrive tomorrow, hopefully that will shed more light on things.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One problem solved. Tried this as one of the first things I did this evening, but apparently wasn't aggressive enough with it. So, I dropped the exhaust, drained the trans fluid, dropped the pan, pulled the valvebody and fiddled with it and its connection for over an hour with no improvement. So I came back to review this thread. Decided to get more aggressive with pushing the fuse box back in, and bam. Gear selection is now displayed on the dash, but still no start, no crank.

The Tech2 device should arrive tomorrow, hopefully that will shed more light on things.
you might want to keep trying I had to mess with mine a few times as well (but) I knew that was it because that was the only thing they touched

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to keep trying I had to mess with mine a few times as well (but) I knew that was it because that was the only thing they touched

Oh I did, but I have more variables going on so I think there is probably something else going on as well.

It looks like my VCX Nano/Tech2 won't arrive until Thursday now. So, I have one more night to try other things. I feel like the gas gauge not registering anything is still a key indicator to this problem.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Oh I did, but I have more variables going on so I think there is probably something else going on as well.

It looks like my VCX Nano/Tech2 won't arrive until Thursday now. So, I have one more night to try other things. I feel like the gas gauge not registering anything is still a key indicator to this problem.

Not trying to hijack your thread but I am curious about the "VXDiag VCX Nano GDS2" you mentioned earlier.

When you purchase that does it come with all the software and everything you need to make it work or do you have to purchase software separately???

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack your thread but I am curious about the "VXDiag VCX Nano GDS2" you mentioned earlier.

When you purchase that does it come with all the software and everything you need to make it work or do you have to purchase software separately???

Its supposed to come with both GM's GDS2 software, and a virtual machine for WinTech2. From what I was reading WinTech2 does not support writing to the controllers, so I won't be able to reprogram anything, but I believe you also need some sort of subscription from GM to program controllers anyways. It should do pretty much everything else from what I understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11