Motor refresh complete, now no crank, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Its supposed to come with both GM's GDS2 software, and a virtual machine for WinTech2. From what I was reading WinTech2 does not support writing to the controllers, so I won't be able to reprogram anything, but I believe you also need some sort of subscription from GM to program controllers anyways. It should do pretty much everything else from what I understand.

Not trying to be too nosey, but what did that set you back and where did you purchase???

Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be too nosey, but what did that set you back and where did you purchase???

Thanks for the info.

No problem. Its really pretty reasonable assuming it works. I believe its a pretty new product, I think I first stumbled across it in a post on LS1Tech. Even on there, there was only like two people that were familiar with it. Also, the legality of the WinTech2 seems to be a bit of a gray area.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074365Q6H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The light on the dash turns off after a few seconds with the key in the ignition, so that appears to be working as expected. From what I have seen if it was a passkey issue the light would remain on after turning the key to the on position.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this one has caught my eye for awhile, good reviews on ebay and bitog...i been meaning to ask over on LST and PT, https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-General...m1cbbe80dfa:g:~vAAAOSwtXxbSUDw:rk:3:pf:0#rwid

For a handheld diagnostic tool I plan to get the Foxwell NT510/520, but my interest in it largely is for my BMW. Foxwell makes the identical scanner for Schwaben, but it typically cost about twice as much for the Schwaben branded device. The Schwaben handheld is most popular diagnostic tool for DIY BMW owners. The Foxwell NT510/520 will work for most major car manufacturers, you just have to buy the additional software for each brand which I believe is $75/brand. So, I'll get the Foxwell NT520 for BMW, and later I will probably add the software for GM. If you interest is only in GM, just get the one for GM out of the gate. Since I'll already have the VCX Nano/WinTech2 it will be interesting to see how they compare.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after about 20 hours I finally got the VCX Nano and WinTech2 software to work. I'm a Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer, and have been working with computers and software professionally for about 20 years. So, I can't say I would recommend the product. The product comes with no documentation, the VXDiag website has very little, you literally have to piece together information from Amazon reviews, a Wiki page that is not ran by VXDiag, and a couple of other sites. I tried the software on 5 different laptops ranging in age from an old Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to a brand new computer. As well as two virtual machines. At least half of those laptops had completely fresh loads of Windows installed. Ultimately, the laptop I got it to work on, I could not install the drives for the Wifi/Bluetooth card or it would cause conflicts with the VCX Nano drivers. Enough about that though, onto the Denali.

I honestly didn't spend much time with the Tech2, as it basically confirmed what I expected. The Tech2 could communicate with everything in the vehicle except the ECM. Simply no communication at all to the ECM. So, my current plan is to check over all the connections and grounds under the hood one last time. Assuming I find nothing new, I'm going to order a pre-programed ECM from "All Computer Resources". Apparently they will re-program a refurbished ECM to your vin so its plug and play. Google had almost 500 reviews for this company, and they had a 4.6 out of 5 stars. The only reviews that were bad, were from people that got frustrated that they didn't receive their order in 3 days as promised, but 6(including the weekend). Understandable for those that need their car fixed ASAP, but not really a concern for me. Their pre-programed ECM is only $200 which is the same as a new ECM from RockAuto that would still need to be programmed. This also saves me the cost/hassle of having the vehicle towed to a shop.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like fun a 32bit windows machine non amd, you probably wouldn't want a wireless connection anyway because I think that limits what you can do, I have tried 3 different elm Bluetooth adapters with both torque pro and some other highly rated app and they wont read or reset abs or srs, there pretty much only able to do limited functions, I think some functions require a wired connection with power backup.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Ok, after about 20 hours I finally got the VCX Nano and WinTech2 software to work. I'm a Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer, and have been working with computers and software professionally for about 20 years. So, I can't say I would recommend the product. The product comes with no documentation, the VXDiag website has very little, you literally have to piece together information from Amazon reviews, a Wiki page that is not ran by VXDiag, and a couple of other sites. I tried to software on 5 different laptops ranging in age from an old Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to a brand new computer. Atleast half of those laptops had completely fresh loads of Windows installed. Ultimately, the laptop I got it to work on, I could not install the drives for the Wifi/Bluetooth card or it would cause conflicts with the VCX Nano drivers. Enough about that though, onto the Denali.

I honestly didn't spend much time with the Tech2, as it basically confirmed what I expected. The Tech2 could communicate with everything in the vehicle except the ECM. Simply no communication at all to the ECM. So, my current plan is to check over all the connections and grounds under the hood one last time. Assuming I find nothing new, I'm going to order a pre-programed ECM from "All Computer Resources". Apparently they will re-program a refurbished ECM to your vin so its plug and play. Google had almost 500 reviews for this company, and they had a 4.6 out of 5 stars. The only reviews that were bad, were from people that got frustrated that they didn't receive their order in 3 days as promised, but 6(including the weekend). Understandable for those that need their car fixed ASAP, but not really a concern for me. Their pre-programed ECM is only $200 which is the same as a new ECM from RockAuto that would still need to be programmed. This also saves me the cost/hassle of having the vehicle towed to a shop.

I was reading one guys review on Amazon and he laid it all out step by step what he had to do in order to get it to work.

He more or less made it sound like you had to do all these steps and then hold your mouth just right and pray... lol

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like fun a 32bit windows machine non amd, you probably wouldn't want a wireless connection anyway because I think that limits what you can do, I have tried 3 different elm Bluetooth adapters with both torque pro and some other highly rated app and they wont read or reset abs or srs, there pretty much only able to do limited functions, I think some functions require a wired connection with power backup.

I bought the USB only version on the VCX Nano, so I wasn't using Wifi for the connection to the device. It was just needed for internet connectivity. You have to download the final driver from within the VCX Manager software. You can't just download the final driver from a website, you have to do it from within VCX Manager as it reads the VCX Nano device to verify licensing. The main laptop I was using didn't have a standard Ethernet interface. So, I had to not install the Wifi card drivers for my laptop, and then I used a USB to Ethernet adapter to get internet connectivity.

I was reading one guys review on Amazon and he laid it all out step by step what he had to do in order to get it to work.

He more or less made it sound like you had to do all these steps and then hold your mouth just right and pray... lol

Even that guys steps are not correct, but yes the software is not well developed or documented. Which makes it difficult to identify what exactly is needed, and what may cause a conflict. Knowing the ins and outs of a computer system as well as I do, at some point it became a matter of pride for me to get it to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC