Modifying air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a way to place a 3rd battery under the hood. I was thinking a few years back I saw someone had replaced their air intake box with another battery tray, and had shortened their intake to allow the room. Maybe even diverted it downward?

Anyways, I was wondering if there is any problem with doing that? Would shortening the intake tube cause problems? I've done the electric fans swap on my '04 Tahoe. I would like honestly to switch to Group 31 batteries for my stereo, but I don't see any way to be able to fit those under the hood, unfortunately.

Open to ideas here.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not under the truck, towards the back?

If you insist on putting the battery in the filter box area, you might be able to fit a short ram intake. These (or any open element designs) suck from a performance standpoint because you're feeding the engine very hot air. I don't have an engine bay of a GMT800 to look into at the moment, but maybe you can find somewhere to mount a filter box lower and under the battery area? Maybe get a filter box from a truck at the salvage yard that has a flat and narrow box and mount it somehow. Other than mounting the box, the rest is just ducting the fresh air to the filter box (be mindful of rain and water) and the filtered air to the throttle body while keeping the MAF's location in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia