upgrade air intake tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Tahoe, 5.3. I want to get rid of the accordian section of the intake tube, but I want to keep the factory air box and flat filter. I just want a smooth tube and to get rid of the resonator. I've been looking at Airaid, but $150-$200 for a plastic tube seems like a lot. Are there any better options for less $$?

I've been looking at both the Airaid Junior 200-796 ($150) and the Airaid modular intake tube 200-996 ($190). The junior comes with a filter, but I'm assuming the tube is better in some way for the 200-996? The filter would be nice, although I already have a reusable hi-po filter.

There are tons of "cold air" intakes on ebay, but they all seem kind of *****/gimmicky, and all get rid of the factory air box/replace with a cone filter. I just want a smooth tube, anyone have any ideas?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you're going to find a quality intake tube at a cheaper price, unless you can find a used one on eBay or similar site. I have the Airaid MIT intake tube, and it does everything that you are looking for, but it is not cheap.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Tahoe, 5.3. I want to get rid of the accordian section of the intake tube, but I want to keep the factory air box and flat filter. I just want a smooth tube and to get rid of the resonator. I've been looking at Airaid, but $150-$200 for a plastic tube seems like a lot. Are there any better options for less $$?

I've been looking at both the Airaid Junior 200-796 ($150) and the Airaid modular intake tube 200-996 ($190). The junior comes with a filter, but I'm assuming the tube is better in some way for the 200-996? The filter would be nice, although I already have a reusable hi-po filter.

There are tons of "cold air" intakes on ebay, but they all seem kind of *****/gimmicky, and all get rid of the factory air box/replace with a cone filter. I just want a smooth tube, anyone have any ideas?

You're right about the ebay "cold air" intakes being gimmicky. Common sense- where does that [crappy] cone filter get this "cold air"? From the engine bay that it's open to, 20" from the exhaust manifold? Yeah, there are some that have a heat shield. But, none of them seal the filter from the engine heat anywhere nearly as well as the factory box or a high-priced aftermarket kit. This is why they're called "hot air intakes". The factory design IS a "cold air intake". I agree that $150 is steep for a plastic tube that yields very little more than a nice intake growl. If you're patient, you might run across one for sale from someone switching it up or returning to stock. I've bought two- mine for $100 from a forum member and another for a friend's truck for $60 off craigslist.

If the labor is worth it to you to save the cash, you can make one out of plumbing fittings. Considering the work you put into your wheels, this might be your thing. Or, go middle of the road and buy an ebay piece and use just the tube.

I can never find the pic of my buddy's homemade tube but it looks similar to this:

5075d1501888222-homemade-intake-need-pics-d528c741.jpg

I think his ('09 Tahoe) has an extra 45° fitting in it to aim straight at the factory filter box after arching over the rad hose. If you don't like the flared parts for the slip-fits, you could cut them off and use PVC cement to "butt weld" the joints together, then sand and paint/wrap/dip it.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want a smooth tube, anyone have any ideas?
The cheapest idea may be more labor intensive.
My idea would be to acquire an OE Sielvrerardo intake tube to use in the interim, while I figure out how to cut away the resonators until I have a smooth tube, then seal up the holes.
The more carefully cut, the less holes that'll need to be sealed up.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right about the ebay "cold air" intakes being gimmicky. Common sense- where does that [crappy] cone filter get this "cold air"? From the engine bay that it's open to, 20" from the exhaust manifold? Yeah, there are some that have a heat shield. But, none of them seal the filter from the engine heat anywhere nearly as well as the factory box or a high-priced aftermarket kit. This is why they're called "hot air intakes". The factory design IS a "cold air intake". I agree that $150 is steep for a plastic tube that yields very little more than a nice intake growl. If you're patient, you might run across one for sale from someone switching it up or returning to stock. I've bought two- mine for $100 from a forum member and another for a friend's truck for $60 off craigslist.

If the labor is worth it to you to save the cash, you can make one out of plumbing fittings. Considering the work you put into your wheels, this might be your thing. Or, go middle of the road and buy an ebay piece and use just the tube.

I can never find the pic of my buddy's homemade tube but it looks similar to this:

View attachment 401075

I think his ('09 Tahoe) has an extra 45° fitting in it to aim straight at the factory filter box after arching over the rad hose. If you don't like the flared parts for the slip-fits, you could cut them off and use PVC cement to "butt weld" the joints together, then sand and paint/wrap/dip it.

I'm liking the homemade option! I was already thinking about that but the pic and description helped a lot. Finding some good stuff on Google, including the full post this pic came from. I was also thinking about buying one of the cheapies on ebay and just using the tube, but I think there'd still be some tweaking to it to get it to mate to the air box.

The cheapest idea may be more labor intensive.
My idea would be to acquire an OE Sielvrerardo intake tube to use in the interim, while I figure out how to cut away the resonators until I have a smooth tube, then seal up the holes.
The more carefully cut, the less holes that'll need to be sealed up.
Yeah, I've definitely wondered if I could cut remove the resonators and use the factory tube, but there's three of them so the method to seal them up would require some thought. But I've also thought about doing some junkyard scrounging to see if there's something that would work and meet my requirements. (One of which is I want it to look halfway decent)

Thanks all!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... definitely wondered if I could cut remove the resonators and use the factory tube, but there's three of them so the method to seal them up would require some thought.
But I've also thought about doing some junkyard scrounging to see if there's something that would work and meet my requirements (one of which is I want it to look halfway decent).
If a Sielvrerardo's factory intake tube had less resonators than a Yukahoerban's, that'd be less work for you.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking about buying one of the cheapies on ebay and just using the tube, but I think there'd still be some tweaking to it to get it to mate to the air box.

Likely. At least a little trimming. It ain't nuttin' but tube and couplings, though!

Yeah, I've definitely wondered if I could cut remove the resonators and use the factory tube, but there's three of them so the method to seal them up would require some thought. But I've also thought about doing some junkyard scrounging to see if there's something that would work and meet my requirements. (One of which is I want it to look halfway decent)

Thanks all!

A member (R3cord303, hasn't been on the site in over a year) did this a few years ago. Here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...s-gmt900-tahoe-yukon-today.44151/post-1410091

Gets rid of the resonator chambers, but you still have the accordion tube. I've used the various forms of J-B Weld Plastic Bonder. Great stuff!

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is the one I bought a little while ago. Amazingly they haven't raised their prices.

Is it the best intake you could buy? Probably not.

Is it perfectly adequate? Yes, but I did have to trim the heatshield slightly to fit under the hood, which might just be a Yukon hood issue. And, I should probably upgrade the cone filter, but I don't really live in a dusty area, and clean my filter with (only) steaming hot water fairly regularly. I keep meaning to measure the filter size to buy a filter sock to keep the big chunks away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans