Mildew smell from A/C first couple minutes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shock

Reaction score
The first couple minutes after starting my 19 Tahoe the AC smells like a wet basement. It’s generally garaged so it doesn’t sit in the sun much. The odor clears after a bit.

This is the first summer I’ve owned it.

Is there something I can clean/flush/check for a clog?

There is no wet carpet and it seems to leave a normal wet spot on the pavement. There is no residual smell in the cabin if the AC is off.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
There are coil cleaning sprays that can be applied to the evaporator coils. Getting to the coils is the difficult part. You can also rent ozone generators and use one to sterilize the entire interior of the vehicle; that’s what car dealers do. I’ve seen them on Amazon.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try turning off the A/C compressor a few blocks before getting home. Keep the blower going to help dry out the evaporator. I think that the afterblow function -- look it up -- can be activated on your rig, IIRC.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also don't use the inside air recirculation setting on the AC for any length of time.

Tahoen

Reaction score
The first couple minutes after starting my 19 Tahoe the AC smells like a wet basement. It’s generally garaged so it doesn’t sit in the sun much. The odor clears after a bit.

There is no wet carpet and it seems to leave a normal wet spot on the pavement. There is no residual smell in the cabin if the AC is off.

Definitely change out your cabin filter

Attachments

• 20210820_164701.jpg
    20210820_164701.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 9

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely check your cabin filter.
then run by dealer & have them check the status of "afterblow" feature in your ECM. have them enable it , if it is not.

John Day

Reaction score
with the AC running full blast (frt&back) spray most of a can of Lysol into fresh air intake at the back of the hood.
then replace your cabin air filter.
remember all windows open

Attachments

• 6C1D38BD-FD1E-4F5B-B3DE-4AF5268AD5C0.jpeg
    6C1D38BD-FD1E-4F5B-B3DE-4AF5268AD5C0.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

houstontaylor

Reaction score

I turn the air conditioning off of recirculating to outside air before shutting the engine off. That lets it air out and dry out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345