Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*sigh* another setback haha... I had the exhaust welded up but the seal on the downpipe got lost. I put everything back together and didn't realize it. Started tuning again and noticed the exhaust leak. Ordered a new at parts store and won't be here till Monday. So anxious to get driving it but all these little setbacks.

On another note... I replaced my throttle cable. The pedal when not depressed has some play, you can lift the gas pedal a bit. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. I was really suprised when I installed the new throttle cable the same play was there as the old cable. Kind of a waste. I see people putting zip ties on their throttle cables but if factory made it with that play probably is there for a reason, no?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The moment is near. I started up the truck, did a little last minute idle bump to keep it from stalling. I'm super nervous, I have to go drive and log MAF data before I switch to speed density tuning. Wish me luck!

PS. The lifters sound really TRIPPY! I cannot describe it, but when I rev to 3k RPM you really hear them.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The moment is near. I started up the truck, did a little last minute idle bump to keep it from stalling. I'm super nervous, I have to go drive and log MAF data before I switch to speed density tuning. Wish me luck!

PS. The lifters sound really TRIPPY! I cannot describe it, but when I rev to 3k RPM you really hear them.
We need a video!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These lifters sound AWESOME. Never thought I would say that, but damn, people think I'm revving a racecar.

Currently doing Mass Air Flow Calibration then will move onto the speed density tuning. It's bit of a pooch but I think I needs more timing advance. It's basically running on 5.3L tune haha

Link to video on Google Drive

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These lifters sound AWESOME. Never thought I would say that, but damn, people think I'm revving a racecar.

Currently doing Mass Air Flow Calibration then will move onto the speed density tuning. It's bit of a pooch but I think I needs more timing advance. It's basically running on 5.3L tune haha

Link to video on Google Drive

Looking good so far......
Good Oil pressure.
Std Temp...I prefer lower.
Good smooth idle
Nice smooth revving and good return

I didn't hear any abnormal lifter noise, maybe get a video from engine bay.

On the tune....did you start with a base 6.0 tune?
With that cam and stock injector size, you're gonna reach peak duty cycle fairly quick.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've got stock injectors :( I found a great deal on them and paid like $50 or something for all 8 from AC Delco. Should have bought the big 8 liter injectors though *sigh*.

I can definitely hear the lifters. Not sure if my microphone can pick it up. Sounds like a sewing machine haha And DAMN does it have a nice scream once I rev to 4500ish, however, trying to not do that tooooo much till it's broken in a bit more haha

Right now my baseline is the 5.3L tune that was in the computer. I'm running off the MAF only though. Getting the MAF sensor calibrated per Goat Rope Garage Tutorials. I think spark is all messed up though. It isn't too powerful down low but gets big kick in the pants as it takes off around 3000 RPM.

I went under general engine settings and updated the engine to 6.0L with .75L per cylinder. Interestingly that bumped up the VE table a bit so not sure if that will be enough to get me in the ball park for speed density tuning or if I'll have to copy the VE table from an LQ9. I'll have to find out. I don't think MAF only tune I'm running right now uses the VE tables but I'm a nubie so possibly wrong.

That was knock that triggered computer to pull timing. It wasn't registering right in the waveform graph. I switched the variable to another and it displayed the knock count. Learning as I'm going, just hate to see knock as well I think that's was breaks engines.

What temp do you run your stuff at? I have a 160 thermostat in my Corvette. You think is a good idea for the truck too? This engine REALLY puts off the heat. I almost wonder if it needs a larger radiator too. Although maybe possible heat is from me disabling the stuff to cool the catalytic converters in the tune too. not sure?

Learning lots. Really exciting! It has soooo much power I almost wonder if I'm stuck in a low gear or have 4 low on haha. Transmission doesn't go past 160F but it shifts weird, like not crisp but hard. I should have checked input shaft play before I put the motor back in. Hopefully lives till I can build the new one.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..... It isn't too powerful down low but gets big kick in the pants as it takes off around 3000 RPM.

That's the cam.
With a nice size cam a 6.0 behaves much like an LS3.....only .2 difference in cubes.

On your log file the coolant temp was 201, which is fine.
The folks on the HPTuners website can help you with your tune and logs.

This guy can help with remote tunes.....he's really good....
[email protected]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n