Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @fasteddy so far so good pretty easy to tune. The goat rope garage tutorials have been really helpful.

Good to know about temp. I may swap for a 160f thermostat. Curious I have a belt driven fan. Do I need a different temp clutch? I think clutch is temperature driven.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The temp thing is just me and the way I've had my head shaped over the years.
Lower temps in oil, coolant, air, trans, diff all lead to more power which leads to lower laptimes, traptimes, and higher topspeed.

Your temp is fine for now and shouldn't stop you from finishing your tune.

Temp clutch? I don't know about that......it looks mechanical to me. Its fine too. That fan sucks alot of air....like 4500cfm?
As a matter of reference the latest duramax, the L5P still has a mechanical fan. Yes, it also pushes 900lbs of TQ, so the fan robbing power has less impact than on an LQ9.

L5P.jpg

Where you want to get to with your tune/test/revise process is numerous WOT pulls in 3rd gear from 30mph to your rev limit of ? 6000? 8000? whatever it is.
The purpose is to see continuous and hopefully smooth data, so you can adjust the calibrations.
So you need to find a fairly straight, level to slightly uphill road (load is good) where you can make that pull......3 to 4 times then review the logs for changes.
This process emulates a dyno pull and will yield a good result.

Be safe, choose your road (test track) wisely, and be aware of police.
Do some morning and night (cool air) pulls and afternoon (hot air) pulls so you can see the impact of IAT on your results.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gr8 advice. I like mechanical fans better than the electric ones. Have had electrical ones go out before.

I think I am going to copy LQ9 spark tables into my tune... it seems to be knocking a bit / pulling timing.

They are helping me on HpTuners forum... However bit stumped with spark / octane tables as they are in cylinder airmass and vcm scanner is in absolute manifold pressure. There is no parameter to change the axis, or predefined math for cylinder airmass.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of shotgunning the spark table by swapping to one from an LQ9, I would just run a histogram for spark and pull where it is showing knock then smooth out around it. That's been my technique at least and I have no knock.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of shotgunning the spark table by swapping to one from an LQ9, I would just run a histogram for spark and pull where it is showing knock then smooth out around it. That's been my technique at least and I have no knock.

Thanks Dan!
And I forgot to tell you, Dan is an experienced tuner extraordinaire!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah that makes good sense. My biggest trouble though is, VCM scanner has vertical axis as manifold absolute pressure. The BIN has it as cylinder airmass. I'm not sure how to convert one to the other. Trying to figure it out. I have a thread on HP Tuners forum but nobody's explained it there yet.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont put that voodoo on me! I still have a very odd start up condition I can't seem to figure out. Plus idk how to do anything with automagical trans tuning.

That's funny.
I always thought trans tuning was way easier than engine tuning.
And you have a manual.....there is no trans tuning.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes good sense. My biggest trouble though is, VCM scanner has vertical axis as manifold absolute pressure. The BIN has it as cylinder airmass. I'm not sure how to convert one to the other. Trying to figure it out. I have a thread on HP Tuners forum but nobody's explained it there yet.

So heres a pic of my spark tables in the scanner. I have cyl air mass as a vehicle axis, your saying you dont have that option anywhere?

20210523_164645.jpg 20210523_164702.jpg

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny.
I always thought trans tuning was way easier than engine tuning.
And you have a manual.....there is no trans tuning.

I just have very little knowledge of them in general. Only owned a few vehicles with autos and usually they were for flips or money saver daily drivers. I did own a CVT trans in a Mazda CX5, hated it!