Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will just drop the pan. Would be nice to not have to worry about all that fluid sloshing around in there though :/

On a completely different note about GM engineers. My daily driver is a 2006 Buick Lucerne. I nearly blew it up today. I HATE THESE NEW DIC DASHES. My engine was overheating, apparently for weeks it's been doing this but I NEVER NOTICED. Because there's no warning light. It just says it's overheating in the DIC which I never read. I does have a heat gauge, but no numbers on it, and the top of the gauge looks same as bottom of the gauge. They didn't even put a red mark or anything on the warning area. Thank god my friend was riding with me and read the DIC. I had been driving around without any coolant *sigh*. Amature mistake but dang, that's the worst dash I've ever seen.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I gave up on the oil pan drain bolt. I used a pump that got a bit of the fluid out. I went to drop pan and still had probably 2 quarts in it *sigh*.

I also noticed a LOT of people doing really STUPID stuff on Youtube when dropping their transmission pan haha Everybody was bending the shifter bracket to drop the pan. *ahem* I briefly tried it but was like this is ridiculous this cannot be the way...

1. I loosened all the exhaust bolts but didn't take them off the exhaust manifolds.
2. Loosened two 40T bit shifter bracket bolts, removed the rear one. Rotated shifter bracket out of way.
3. Took heat shield off other side of transmission, two 10mm bolts
4. Took pan bolts off and pan came right down no problem.

Now I need to get power to the wide band O2 and a mounting solution to place it somewhere. I'm thinking the A pillar but don't want a pillar full of empty gauge pods. Just one pod for now.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I gave up on the oil pan drain bolt. I used a pump that got a bit of the fluid out. I went to drop pan and still had probably 2 quarts in it *sigh*.

I also noticed a LOT of people doing really STUPID stuff on Youtube when dropping their transmission pan haha Everybody was bending the shifter bracket to drop the pan. *ahem* I briefly tried it but was like this is ridiculous this cannot be the way...

1. I loosened all the exhaust bolts but didn't take them off the exhaust manifolds.
2. Loosened two 40T bit shifter bracket bolts, removed the rear one. Rotated shifter bracket out of way.
3. Took heat shield off other side of transmission, two 10mm bolts
4. Took pan bolts off and pan came right down no problem.

Now I need to get power to the wide band O2 and a mounting solution to place it somewhere. I'm thinking the A pillar but don't want a pillar full of empty gauge pods. Just one pod for now.
I can’t even get to those 2 big torx bolts with my hands and a ratchet without getting in a ridiculous contortionist position so I pry the bracket a bit as the pan comes down. It doesn’t need to be actually bent.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine wouldnt come down at all. I do mechanic yoga all the time bahaha

My arms arent too big. I was able to fit them up along the diff and to the bolts, with my feet towards the front bumper. Not sure if I could have got in there though without the exhaust loosened but wasn't too hard to get on otherwise. I tried to pull it back with some force but mine wouldn't budge. Don't like forcing things though.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 01 Denali was a tough one. 6 point socket, breaker bar and a 2ft piece of pipe for extra leverage.

All great ideas. As soon as I felt the 12point socket slip for the first time, I knew I made a mistake. You got it right the first time.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Setting up to tune the motor. I'm going through goat rope garage tutorials again. It seems he has a new computer than what I have though in his tutorial:

UPDATED: Found solution to disabling O2 Sensors / closed loop with P01 computer HERE Goat Rope did a video just for those pre 2003 computers.

*sigh* just purchased my credits to license the vehicle with HP tuners so I can tune it. The bleeeeeeeping website & software doesn't work to license my tune :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got HP tuners working. Am building up my histograms, etc. for logging. I think somebody tuned my motor from before. A few of the tables look like they left the systems disabled. I think it was closed loop enable versus ECT, the computer as I pulled it down before any changes had 285F for all the cells.

I setup a bin file to load for MAF tuning. I presume you start first by tuning Mass Air Flow only.... then switching over to MAP?

Just quadropoly checking before I head out. Been watching Goat Rope stuff for 2nd / 3rd time on some videos.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slowly getting the tuning going. I got my file built and programmed to the ECU to turn off fuel trims, etc and run off MAF. However, I noticed something REALLY weird in my log file when I started up the truck. The scanner says the computer is commanding a AFR of 12 / 0.7 lamda????

This isn't covered in any of the goat rope turning tutorials. Not sure if anybody here knows why the computer would command a low AFR like that or where that command is stored / set? Does the truck startup lien? Lien doesn't make since to me. I'd think rich before anything else.

UPDATE: They told me over on HP Tuners what this was... On startup the engine commands rich, especially if it thinks it's cold outside (my ambient air temp sensor is broken). I started the engine and let it run longer, it went to stoic, 14ish:1 ARF

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sigh my wideband sensor is having issues now / broken... it slowly climbs up and off the scale :(

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432

Latest posts