Maintenance to do after picking up your "new" truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VIN 'z' 8th digit gets the fuel filter replaced. Drop the spare tire and look it over. check all of the bulbs for working order. The truck I bought last time had 1 license plate bulb burned out & the other 1 was busted, hence nothing on rear plate. Most used trucks prob need the high brake lamp replaced if nothing else.

This is what you have to face with the the fuel filter so make yourself aware & do some research before spending an extra 2 hours on a 15-min R&R.

image.jpeg

There is a PCV filter needs replacing.

Power steering flush with PSF & SeaFoam TransTune; refilled with 1 bottle of Lucas PS conditioner, topped off with PSF. GM has a service bulletin in regard to noisy pumps which was my problem. I was aware of the Lucas already, but the TSB directly references this product for use by the techs in situations of a customer complaint of "whiney" power steering. Do NOT use the Lucas 'Stop Leak' for PS. This is what it calls for:

image.jpeg

extra key & remote. Worth mentioning as a sizable chore to obtain a backup, which I didn't have as everyone should. Consider yourself lucky to have have even 1 OEM fob come with purchase of an old vehicle, but that's not good enough with a family & friends. God forbid you lock the only ignition key inside the truck.

I spent $40 on windshield wipers all the way around. The junk on the used truck would've gotten me killed had I got caught in a good downpour.

I did a cabin filter mod that made an enormous impact on the quality of the HVAC output. I was breathing fungus and ridiculous odors before I found out people were cutting the box open and sticking new filters in there with a little fabricated door. I thought it was clever and made my driving experience more enjoyable. Before, I'd have been embarrassed of the AC odor

15-year old trucks need a lot of replacement parts besides your usual oils & filters to make the truck both safe & legal.

I did all of this before the motor oil even needed changing. Just goes to show how thorough examination is required to have a dependable vehicle in your ownership.

To tell you the truth, this is pretty weak for maintenance thread, much less anything to make a stickie. Even a decent starter guide would list the products, quantity needed and maybe even estimated time to complete the task. Example, say engine oil:

Engine oil change; (6) quarts - Delco 1dexos synthetic (5w30)
Approx: (.5) hour (1) filter - Delco ultra-guard (upf44)
(1) Dorman drain plug (65265)

Instead of "tune-up is a given," it should go something like this:

Tune-Up & Related; (8) spark plugs - Delco (41-962)
Approx: (2.5) hour (1) wire/lead set - JDMspeed 10mm
(eBay: autopartszone2008)
CRC mass-air flow sensor cleaner, Berryman Pro' parts cleaner, etc.
18-24 inches adhesive-backed 1/2" weatherstripping
(1) MicroGuard PCV valve (pcv2377)
(1) MicroGuard air filter (mga42487)
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.8L-5.3L-6.0L/cleaning-the-throttle-body-1
Then list instructions for said "tune-up" here if you are really ambitious about the whole thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VIN 'z' 8th digit gets the fuel filter replaced. Drop the spare tire and look it over. check all of the bulbs for working order. The truck I bought last time had 1 license plate bulb burned out & the other 1 was busted, hence nothing on rear plate. Most used trucks prob need the high brake lamp replaced if nothing else.

This is what you have to face with the the fuel filter so make yourself aware & do some research before spending an extra 2 hours on a 15-min R&R.

View attachment 190134

There is a PCV filter needs replacing.

Power steering flush with PSF & SeaFoam TransTune; refilled with 1 bottle of Lucas PS conditioner, topped off with PSF. GM has a service bulletin in regard to noisy pumps which was my problem. I was aware of the Lucas already, but the TSB directly references this product for use by the techs in situations of a customer complaint of "whiney" power steering. Do NOT use the Lucas 'Stop Leak' for PS. This is what it calls for:

View attachment 190135

extra key & remote. Worth mentioning as a sizable chore to obtain a backup, which I didn't have as everyone should. Consider yourself lucky to have have even 1 OEM fob come with purchase of an old vehicle, but that's not good enough with a family & friends. God forbid you lock the only ignition key inside the truck.

I spent $40 on windshield wipers all the way around. The junk on the used truck would've gotten me killed had I got caught in a good downpour.

I did a cabin filter mod that made an enormous impact on the quality of the HVAC output. I was breathing fungus and ridiculous odors before I found out people were cutting the box open and sticking new filters in there with a little fabricated door. I thought it was clever and made my driving experience more enjoyable. Before, I'd have been embarrassed of the AC odor

15-year old trucks need a lot of replacement parts besides your usual oils & filters to make the truck both safe & legal.

I did all of this before the motor oil even needed changing. Just goes to show how thorough examination is required to have a dependable vehicle in your ownership.

To tell you the truth, this is pretty weak for maintenance thread, much less anything to make a stickie. Even a decent starter guide would list the products, quantity needed and maybe even estimated time to complete the task. Example, say engine oil:

Engine oil change; (6) quarts - Delco 1dexos synthetic (5w30)
Approx: (.5) hour (1) filter - Delco ultra-guard (upf44)
(1) Dorman drain plug (65265)

Instead of "tune-up is a given," it should go something like this:

Tune-Up & Related; (8) spark plugs - Delco (41-962)
Approx: (2.5) hour (1) wire/lead set - JDMspeed 10mm
(eBay: autopartszone2008)
CRC mass-air flow sensor cleaner, Berryman Pro' parts cleaner, etc.
18-24 inches adhesive-backed 1/2" weatherstripping
(1) MicroGuard PCV valve (pcv2377)
(1) MicroGuard air filter (mga42487)

Then list instructions for said "tune-up" here if you are really ambitious about the whole thing.

As I said in the beginning I'll be adding as I go along, I want to make a guide with links for how-to videos and parts, etc.
It's a work in progress since my "maintenance" is taking up most of my time (busted t-case)
Hopefully before the end of the month I'll complete everything with links, etc.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a catch can before you clean the intake and top of the motor. Allot of people here have them and I love mine. I catch allot of oil before it goes into the intake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you rebuilt a 246 before? I want to say 2003+ is slightly different from the earlier versions. There are 2 very good tutorials I have found on YouTube, 1 more intensive than the other. 1 guy shows how to rebuild and set up the wet clutch. If you have the earlier 246 that spins the front DS in 2W, I have read where guys mod that case to run like the newer version.

I still need to update the back half of my truck but after that I'm wanting to pull the case out and install the oil pump case saver plate; replace the output seals while I'm at it.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with everything thats been said already, I also vote for power steering flush, especially if its hydro boost. I did mine at 100k thinking I was being proactive and it was nasty burnt. I took the funky molded return line off the booster/resevior, ran a new scrap hose from the booster outlet to a bucket, capped the res port, filled the res, and started it up and let it pump out as much of the old as i could, refilled with new fluid, repeat until the stuff coming out isn't nasty anymore, ran nice new 5/16 trans cooler hose from the booster to the res return, wrapped it in plastic convoluted wire loom to look nice, and called it a day. I did the job again 25k later and was surprised by how nasty it had gotten. That time I installed an inline filter wix#58964 in the return line (theres room right before the ps reservoir, and topped off with some lube guard 20404 ps fluid protectant. I got everything I needed from a local reilly's although they had to order the filter and the lube guard in.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you rebuilt a 246 before? I want to say 2003+ is slightly different from the earlier versions. There are 2 very good tutorials I have found on YouTube, 1 more intensive than the other. 1 guy shows how to rebuild and set up the wet clutch. If you have the earlier 246 that spins the front DS in 2W, I have read where guys mod that case to run like the newer version.

I still need to update the back half of my truck but after that I'm wanting to pull the case out and install the oil pump case saver plate; replace the output seals while I'm at it.

I have never done a rebuild before, so any info or guides would be greatly appreciated, I have an 02 so I assume that's the earlier version? NP246 is the correct transfer case for the 02 trucks right?

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCbGGtbW86uP81oHjs7C7IA

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxy96SSiorGGYmCQn6ExwWA

Look into the tutorials these 2 guys put up on the 246. I don't know which design either 1 is working on so pay careful attention of that and consider rebuilding the clutch pack as well. Your TC is old enough that you will want a complete rebuild. You will also need the modified oil pump plate usually sold separately from any rebuild kits and marketed as the "case saver plate" etc. merchant auto makes 1 but there are various manufacturers & retailers. It's very important that you install the upgraded plate

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv