Ly6 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few weeks ago I messaged a guy local parting out a gmc 2500. At that time he told me he wrote add wrong and motor wasn't for sale. Since them I have had the timing chain tensioner in my 5.3 give out and send metal through the engine seems fine but who knows tbh it kinda scares me that there might be unseen damage. Well the guy I messaged few weeks randomly messaged me tonight saying he decided he didn't need that engine and said he would sell it for $650. It's a 2007 ly6 6.0 with 188 thousand miles. No harness but I think the 5.3s harness Will work on it other than the 6.0 has vvt but I will probably delete that. Was thinking using a ls9 cam they have 0.558/0.552 lift 211/230 duration and lobe separation angle is 122.5. I have also read that using the lc9 5.3s heads and intake would give the ly6 power more in the lower rpm range and would increase compression. I have a spare set of heads from our parts burb which had a cracked block. so I can build this engine up and have it ready if the 5.3 in my burb dies. What do you guys think of that combination would it work good? Or any better ideas or recommendations? I want alot of torque and low rpm power below 4000 rpm I rarely get above that.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking using a ls9 cam they have 0.558/0.552 lift 211/230 duration and love separation angle is 122.5.

I want alot of torque and low rpm power below 4000 rpm I rarely get above that.

That LS9 camshaft is NOT what you desire. It will take away at least 40 foot pounds of torque down low and give it back way up where you'll never use it in a truck. Put an L9H cam in it if you want a little more lift.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That LS9 camshaft is NOT what you desire. It will take away at least 40 foot pounds of torque down low and give it back way up where you'll never use it in a truck. Put an L9H cam in it if you want a little more lift.

Would it still rob it down low if I advance cam timing 2 or 4 degrees? (Would I have enough piston/valve clearance for that?)
Doesn't the l9h have vvt like the ly6? And do you know the l9h cam specs?

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I would either get a towing cam, what we used to call an RV cam, or call Vinci and get a custom cam ground for it.

As for swapping the heads, I'm not 100% sure about the 5.3 heads on the 6.0 block... back in the old SBC days you could put the 305 (5.0l) heads onto a 350 (5.7l) or 400 (6.6l) to make more torque because the combustion chamber was smaller and it would raise the compression ratio.

I'm just not that familiar with the LS stuff to no the difference in heads, but it would seem to make sense.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it still rob it down low if I advance cam timing 2 or 4 degrees? (Would I have enough piston/valve clearance for that?)
Doesn't the l9h have vvt like the ly6? And do you know the l9h cam specs?

Yes, I don't believe you'll get enough torque back over stock by advancing the camshaft but am far from the final word on such a topic. Talk to Vinci.

Yes, the L9H motor has VVT. Yes, 243 heads will make more torque on a 6.0 block and increase the compression ratio at the expense of high rpm performance. But how high? GMs engineers thought it perfectly fine to run the larger displacement motors with the bigger heads in our trucks.

upload_2021-4-16_14-26-12.png
upload_2021-4-16_14-27-6.png

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am definitely interested in what you end up doing.

I would love to have a low revving LS with big block type of torque in my Burb.

I have no reason to turn 5-6k RPM around town.

I have always been partial to torque over horse power... probably because I grew up driving my grandfather's big block dually around.

There is just something cool about being able to light up all 4 rear tires on dry pavement by just breathing on the throttle... lol

I hate all the Stabilitrac and Traction Control and Torque Management nannies on the NNBS trucks.

I wish someone made a long runner intake manifold for our LS engines kinda like the old TPI intakes.

They looked cool and made gobs of torque down low.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A custom ground cam would be pretty expensive that's why I was looking at ls9/ls7 cams can get them relatively cheap.
Who is Vinci?
Any other stock cams that might work without vvt?
I have seen few things about ly6 engines with 243 cathedral port heads but haven't been able to find anything detailed or with dyno results.
This picture is comparing a ls7 cam to aftermarket cams with similar duration if I am reading it right looks like it's timing is slightly retarded compared to the others.
hrm sheet.jpg
Comp cams sells a double chain 58x crank 4x cam 3 bolt adjustable timing set that lets you advance I think up to 6 degrees.
Definitely gotta do alot more research before I decide or buy anything.

Yea I miss old big blocks and there torque too. that's kinda what I hoping to get out of this. a long runner intake would be cool. Our intakes are basically the same as trailblazer ss intakes right?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.compcams.com/keyway-adjustable-billet-timing-set-for-58x-3-bolt-4-pole-gm-ls3.html

That's the timing set I was thinking of it's actually adjustable up to 8 degrees advance or retard. The concern with that is piston to valve clearance. Still trying to figure that out. If I do go with that setup was thinking ls7 1.8 rockers and lifters
In my opinion, it's not worth having adjustability unless you're going to be racing/tracking the thing. When it comes to trucks, simple is good. VVT is nice but a good 3-bolt truck cam, as Ken suggests, and you'll never miss VVT. I deleted VVT from my 6.2 with a Brian Tooley Stage 2 truck cam and haven't missed it.

On the heads, many LS heads will interchange, but not in your case. The LY6 uses rectangular ports, and your 5.3 uses cathedral ports on the intake. It also has offset rocker arms on the exhaust valves.

Side note: on my last cam swap, I started with a Vinci cam, but ran into some problems with oiling and bad lifters that damaged the cam (not the cam's fault), and ended up with the Brian Tooley cam I have now. Vinci makes great cams, but they're fast ramp and high lift, requiring dual valve springs and other upgrades. There's a thread here on the project if you're interested.

If you're interested in going with a Vinci truck cam, I have a brand new one here still in the box, complete with new matched dual springs, keepers, moly pushrods, and Fel-Pro valve seals I'd be happy to sell you for a good price. The only thing missing is the lifters, and for those I would use Morel 6504.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645