Ly6 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LS7 has a little more lift too. I suspect it will work just fine, better than the stock 6.0 camshafts which have less lift. VVT is great but has its limits for high horsepower, high rpm applications. I know enough to be dangerous but am far from an expert on the matter. However, early on I spent considerable time investigating those stock camshafts and learned that they don't work in street trucks, even the vaunted LS6 camshaft gives up nearly 40 foot pounds of torque down low and you don't get it back until above 5,000 rpms which would only please kids and full time drag racers. It would kill a tow rig.

I was able to get lobe data at one time from Crane Cams and some others but have not found the info since they moved from Daytona to Mississippi somewhere.

From what I've seen they give up more on the low end with 5.3s but give up very little on 6.0 or 6.2s idk if that is due to better head flow or larger displacement or both so idk what it would do with the 6.0 with 243 heads.

How do you delete vvt if using a vvt cam like the l9h

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen they give up more on the low end with 5.3s but give up very little on 6.0 or 6.2s idk if that is due to better head flow or larger displacement or both so idk what it would do with the 6.0 with 243 heads.

How do you delete vvt if using a vvt cam like the l9h

To delete VVT physically, you remove the components and replace the front cover with one without it. The wiring can also be removed or just removed in the tune. A VVT cam can run in a non-VVT motor. In fact, many camshafts are ground with Gen III 3-bolt pattern and the VVT groove in the 2nd journal for oiling, doesn't hurt anything if not used.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

That looks interesting for sure. Wish they would have listed some dyno numbers for what it improves and where at in the rpm spectrum.

The TPI intakes actually criss-crossed under the plenum, so the runners on the driverside of the plenum actually fed the passenger side head and vice-versa, making the runners like 24" long from plenum to the back of the intake valve.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks interesting for sure. Wish they would have listed some dyno numbers for what it improves and where at in the rpm spectrum.

The TPI intakes actually criss-crossed under the plenum, so the runners on the driverside of the plenum actually fed the passenger side head and vice-versa, making the runners like 24" long from plenum to the back of the intake valve.

I haven't found any that criss cross yet. And yeah I wish it had dyno results and better pictures.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To delete VVT physically, you remove the components and replace the front cover with one without it. The wiring can also be removed or just removed in the tune. A VVT cam can run in a non-VVT motor. In fact, many camshafts are ground with Gen III 3-bolt pattern and the VVT groove in the 2nd journal for oiling, doesn't hurt anything if not used.

I didn't know that everything I've read so far about deleting vvt said to change cam. That's interesting

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cams you mentioned are for the rectangle port heads and would only work if I don't change heads.
Nope, the same cam will work great regardless of head port design. Roger has a cathedral port cam card for the same cam and it’s identical. He confirmed to me that it would be interchangeable between engines with cathedral or rectangular port heads and work just as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, the same cam will work great regardless of head port design. Roger has a cathedral port cam card for the same cam and it’s identical. He confirmed to me that it would be interchangeable between engines with cathedral or rectangular port heads and work just as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonder why alot of cams specify cathedral or rectangle port

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I not against aftermarket cams I'm also looking into them just haven't found one I like alot yet. Basically the ly6 with 243 heads should be similar to a ls2. 6.0 with 243 heads so I have been looking for cams and dyno results for ls2 that's giving me somewhat better results. On the ls9 cam in ls2 threads I haven't found any dyno results for naturally aspirated. 90% of replies say there are better cam use this or that so it's hard to find the few replies from people who have actually put a ls9 cam in a naturally aspirated ls2. Everyone I have found that has done it says it drives and idles like a stock ls2 cam till you get on it and they liked it alot. I haven't found anyone who actually did it say it was bad. Only negative I found was a stock 5.3 with 243 heads guy said his was a dog off the line with the ls9 cam till they did intake and headers but otherwise he liked it alot. So idk why they other 90% say it will lose alot or would be terrible?

I haven't found anything for a l9h cam in a ls2 yet starting to look into that now

Am I correct in thinking this combo will be similar to a ls2? And when I get to the point of tuning can I tune it similar to trailblazer ss other than whatever cam

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder why alot of cams specify cathedral or rectangle port
All of the cams I looked at were designed for LS truck engines, regardless of intake port design. Here's the one I ended up with and I'm happy with it. I pull a 6,500lb trailer so wanted something that would outperform stock and be a set-and-forget solution. It also has a fabulous lope at idle.
https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-camshaft-gen-3-4-truck-stage-2-v2-btr31218110.html

How's your dad doing? Were you able to get your truck up and running and get him home okay?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645